1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clippers to match Brand's offer sheet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Anderlicht, Jul 18, 2003.

1. Anderlicht

Anderlicht Member

Clippers to Match Brand Offer Sheet
    Team says it meant to retain him all along, and now it will have to pay $82 million to do so.

By J.A. Adande, Times Staff Writer

The Clippers notified Elton Brand's agent Thursday that they intend to retain the power forward's services by matching the six-year, $82.2-million offer sheet he signed with the Miami Heat.

"We told them that before they got an offer sheet," Clipper Executive Vice President Andy Roeser said. "That won't be a surprise when it happens.

"We've said all along that we intend to match the offer on Elton and we shared that with them again today."

The Clippers have 15 days from Wednesday, the day Brand signed the Heat's offer, to meet the terms. Brand, who averaged 19.2 points and 10.7 rebounds per game in the first four years of his career, is a restricted free agent this summer.

"If they match, I'm going to be excited ... either way," Brand said by telephone from Chicago, where he is working out in the off-season. "I'll be ready to go in a new direction with the Clippers, start winning some games and get into the playoffs.

"If they're going to match, that's saying they're in the direction of trying to get players."

It will require an unprecedented financial expenditure from Clipper owner Donald Sterling just to keep some semblance of the 2002-03 roster intact. The Utah Jazz made a six-year, $42-million offer to guard Corey Maggette, and the Denver Nuggets made a six-year, $51-million offer to point guard Andre Miller.

The Clippers have indicated that they will match Utah's offer to Maggette but let Miller go.

The Clippers already lost center Michael Olowokandi, an unrestricted free agent who agreed to a three-year, $16.2-million contract with the Minnesota Timberwolves. Olowokandi's agent, Bill Duffy, tried to broker sign-and-trade deals with Minnesota and Memphis that would get more money for Olowokandi and not leave the Clippers empty-handed, but nothing worked out for all parties.

New Clipper Coach Mike Dunleavy called Brand on Thursday and repeated the team's interest in retaining him.

"I told him it's all my fault," Dunleavy joked. "I said, 'I signed on to coach you, that's the way it's going to be.'

"I think it's the start of a good thing. Elton's a good guy, he's going to work hard, it's going to be a good fit."

Even if the Clippers retain Brand, Maggette and Lamar Odom — a restricted free agent who has not made much noise in the marketplace so far this summer — they will need to replace their starting center and point guard from last season.

With Brand, the Clippers are prepared to make their largest financial commitment ever despite the imposing terms of the contract and some acerbic words from David Falk, Brand's agent.

Falk said Wednesday that when negotiations for an extension broke off last summer, Sterling told him he would either offer Brand the maximum amount another team could give him or let him go. Falk later told the Clippers that if they did not make a maximum offer by the first day of the negotiating period on July 1 that Brand would go elsewhere.

The Clippers made an initial offer of $65 million over five years on July 1 and later increased it to $78 million over six — the most they could offer, based on the leaguewide belief that the salary cap was $42 million. When the official salary cap figure was released by the NBA on Wednesday, the cap number came in surprisingly higher: $43.8 million. That allowed the Heat to come up with an additional $4 million to offer Brand over the life of the contract — the terms the Clippers must match now.

The Heat's offer is front-loaded, with 70% of the annual salary payable up front. In addition it includes a kicker that drives up the salary by 15% if Brand is traded.

Falk insists that this is not simply a financial matter, and that it's also about goodwill. He said he had an understanding with Sterling that if the Clippers did not offer Brand a maximum contract by the end of the first day of the negotiating period, that they would allow Brand to leave.

"It's not about money," Falk said Thursday. "It's about respect and timing."

The Clippers could have had Brand for $70 million to $75 million (depending on the source) last year. But their offer was in the low $60-million range.

Now Brand will make $82 million somewhere — apparently in Los Angeles.

"I honestly think that if they do match, and other players are here, it can turn around," Brand said. "The problem was, players weren't getting paid, so they were leaving or trying to do their things to get paid by other teams.

"If we're there, then it's on us. It's in L.A., it's a great city, we've got great fans. We've just got to get over those old problems. We should be able to do that."

Dunleavy said: "The first piece was getting Elton. Me coming here, that was part of the deal. It never crossed my mind that it wouldn't happen. It will happen in a pretty timely fashion.

"I don't think we will [wait the full 15 days]. I think it will happen pretty quickly."

2. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Interesting development. I guess it's better late than never for Sterling to start getting it...If they keep Maggette and Odom to pair with Brand, they've still got a future.

p.s. What's the Rockets connection?

3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

pipe dreams and such i suppose.

4. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

one would have thought so last year, but that fell apart, and now they lose two key pieces. perhaps not all playing for a contract/hating the organization will turn things around, but then again, they are the clippers. history tells us they do not have a future.

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Miami still has cap space, that's what. Now they just might sign Odom to an offer sheet. Or not? If Miami has cap space, we can work with them or the Clippers for players that would better fit JVG's direction (Caron Butler and Brian Grant being pipe dreams of my own, I guess). Miami needs to flesh out its roster.

And will Miami wind up with Odom? If so, Cat and Mo are good friends of his....

6. Loco Gringo

Loco Gringo Member

Somehow i don't think odom will go back to the clippers (he may want too much for Sterling's liking) and I don't know why Miami would sign him when they have Mr. Butler.. their future star.. the only option is houston heh :D S&T time

7. mingonly

mingonly Member

Riley wants to use odom as a point guard.Dont be surprised to see this lineup starting:

odom
    wade
    butler
    grant
    -no name center-

Wade is just like Francis.He is a tweener.Two short for the 2,but not a true point guard for 1. Odom is the complement for him. Which is why Im baffled the Rockets dont push hard for Odom.

8. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Now Riley pushes for Odom, as stated above.

He needs to dump Jones and get a center. Problem - no one wants Jones for 12 mil. How many seasons are left on Jones?

Maybe I'd hand them Taylor and Cato for Jones +pick. Jones can be the starting sf, or we can move Cuttino in a separate deal with Rice and/or EG.

9. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

I can hear Elton Brand talking to his buddies:

"Just when you think you're out, they pull you back in!"

10. RocketBurrito

RocketBurrito Member

This is the Rockets connection:

"I honestly think that if they do match, and other players are here, it can turn around," Brand said. "The problem was, players weren't getting paid, so they were leaving or trying to do their things to get paid by other teams."

They increasingly become our competition for the last playoff spot.

If they keep Brand, Odom, & Maggete those guys will realize they're playing for real, not to inflate their stats to try and get a FA deal next year. They might gel as a team & since they're in the W. Conference, they may challenge for the 8th spot, as we will. They somehow, even in their former crappy state, always seemed to give us tons of problems...

Of course this might all be moot if we do something to shore up our roster by adding a PF who bother to board, a backup PG who doesnt dribble out the clock every play, and a SG who knows when to pass up a bad shot - but I doubt it...