1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is there an ESPN Dallas?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Spacemoth, Jul 16, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Seriously. Marc Stein must have done some string-pulling to make that happen. And now as a result, we somehow become ESPN's mortal enemies?

Reading every article that has to do with the Rockets and/or the Mavs is pretty much 90% in favor of the Mav's. And don't get me started on those message boards at the bottom. In fact, don't even read them. I don't want you to lose brain cells.

2. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

Cowboys were immensly popular, not so much anymore but they definitely used to be.
    At the time of the whole ESPN city thing, the Mavs were pretty good (Dirk was at his peak). I think the Rangers were pretty decent at the time as well I don't follow baseball very much so I wouldn't know.

There really should be a ESPN Houston though. I mean Rockets, Texans are two good teams. Astros will be a great team in a couple of years. And there are a lot of sports fans in Houston, so there's definitely a market. But people don't like Houston unfortunately.

3. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

National media straight up despises Houston in general...at least that what it sure seems like.

Who cares? I like the underdog role, but it is VERY annoying getting ****ted on by every national media outlet.

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

man, **** dallas.

5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

it was always about the cowboys, they're still the most popular nfl team

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The thing is, Dallas has never been a rival for Houston sports teams. In football, baseball, and basketball, we have never been good at the same time enough to have bad blood spewed between us. 2004 is the only playoff series where this happened.

Otherwise, the rivalry is completely contrived, mostly instigated from their end. Even now, with the Chandler Parsons BS, this isn't basketball. Nothing has been settled on the court. This is soap opera. This is the same melodrama belongs to that stupid TV show of the same name.

Nothing about the national anti-Houston media bias makes any sense. But it's out there all the same.

7. cebu

cebu Member

because they really care about their sports fans... unlike in Houston..

8. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

It's called espn Arlington.

Cowboys cowboys cowboys.

9. Buck Turgidson

I always thought they screwed up when they didn't make it ESPN Texas

10. CertifiedTroll

It seemed to me like the tension has been boiling up ever since we landed Dwight. It compounded when Morey tweeted Cuban asking to trade for Dirk. Now Cuban is being butt hurt and just trying to screw with Morey.

11. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

no - they wanted Texas in the mix for their regional sites and the Metroplex (DFW area) is the largest media market in the state. It is the quirky city size issue (Houston is the 4th largest city, but like the 10th or 15th media market because its Houston conroe katy and galveston) Dallas has Denton, Ft Worth and all those irving, arlington, plano, etc towns to add in = morepeople

PLUS - they have the Cowboys which everyone nationally loves or hates

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That sounds like a much better idea to me.

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Good call. What a slap to then put their regional presence in Oklahoma.

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

it's because dfw is much bigger than houston

15. delishman

delishman Member

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

ESPN is a company who worships a douchewaffle like Chris Berman. Dallas is the douchewaffle capital of the universe. Duh.

17. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

18. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Houston is a larger city than Dallas. But if you include the metropolitan areas, Dallas is only slightly larger by a few hundred thousand.

19. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

^ I was measuring their size by population

20. Bornz

Bornz Member

It's all about the ratings - even though the Cowboys are a walking mediocrity, they still get the ratings... ratings = money. ESPN IS a business at the end of the day.

Houston is close to being worth national attention, but they're not there yet. Rockets need a bit more pieces. Texans at their peak needed a bit more pieces, but now it seems they're 2 years away from being relevant 2 years from now. And don't get me started on the Astros.

It's an unpopular opinion, but its the truth.