1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Damage Control? Daryl Morey now on ESPN 97.5

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by So Good, Jul 14, 2014.

1. So Good

So Good Member

2. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Summary

We will reshuffle the deck over and over again until we get a third star. Until then we'll just continue to be first round fodder unless we get lucky and get into the second round. Les is the greatest owner in sports even if he's been into second round once in like 20 years. Buy season tickets!

1 person likes this.
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He was on some finance show too, telling me traditional investing would only allow me to retire comfortably. Said something about needing to play the lottery and get multiple divorces for a chance to live like a boss.

3 people like this.
  6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Morey wanted to say "And just wait til next year!" but he doesn't want to be sued by Paramount (distributor of "The Bad News Bears") or the Chicago Cubs for stealing a slogan.

7. shastarocket

A lot of rehash, but some interesting new details.

Bosh never totally committed and Morey was warned that a 5th year from Miami would make their case more compelling

Lakers deal was best deal "by far", Wasn't even sure a secondary deal was on the table.

Admits that PG and PF spot is weakest (relative to the west), but believe young guys will be much better

Dropped his infamous quote for seemingly the tenth time today.

At Vegas SL, Canaan is slotted as backup 1, DMo backup 4, Nick Johnson may be able to contribute right away but team is unlikely to commit to young guys until 2nd year (see TJones)

#7 shastarocket, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  8. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

so the whole 'done deal' with the 76ers was probably just gobbledygook (ok, I had to look up the spelling for that word!)

So the 'best' deal out there was one where a team simply agreed to take on LIn...for virtually free + pick?? some valued asset there... (yea yeah, rockets were desperate, we get it).

And further evidence that Roe4Christ took some of us for a ride

9. BOOM-SHAKA-LAKA

Still a big fan of Morey, but absolutely disagree with the sentiment Chandler Parsons can't be the 3rd best player on a championship contender.
    If we can land Rondo, Love, or someone of that ilk, all is well.
    Signing Ariza for considerably less really makes not matching CP easier to stomach.
    Looking forward to the season, and like George Michael I got to have faith.

2 people like this.
  10. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

Host: "How sure were you that Chris Bosh was going to sign with Houston?"

DM: "Pretty freaking sure, (host name), PRETTY FREAKING SURE!"

--This didn't actually happen, but wouldn't that be hilarious if he just flipped out after so many repetitive questions?

11. cyntil8ing

cyntil8ing Member

12. shastarocket

Yeah, teaches us to believe the 76ers "insiders"...

By the way, I'm disappointed that after THREE radio interviews, NO ONE asked him exactly why he made Chandler a RFA

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I wonder when the Lakers deal came up. Because if it was the best deal "by far" and there wasn't a secondary deal in existence, the Rockets should snap it up as soon as it was offered. But they did wait until after the LeBron news, and the Bosh wheels getting going, before making the trade.

May just be a coincidence that the Lakers offered to take Jeremy Lin's contract right after Lebron announced his return to Cleveland, but the timing sure looks like the deal was made in anticipation of Bosh.

14. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

9th seed here we come if we are depending on Canaan/DMO

15. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Uhhh we aren't depending on Canaan and DMo to win us games. Harden and Howard are here to win us games.

1 person likes this.
  16. shastarocket

Well the other rationale is that the Lakers had more cap-eating moves on the table (Hill, Young, etc.) that came into motion immediately with Lebron's decision (recent news has popped up that the Lakers, Denver and Phoenix also chased Bosh)

Morey simply had to make a judgement call: get rid of Lin now without a commitment from Bosh or wait and risk having to pay up (a lot?) more

I can't fault him for his decision

17. cyntil8ing

cyntil8ing Member

Interesting tid bits; Re-signing Daniels and Parson's is/was not the solution to lock the team up.

18. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Hahah good one! I can't wait for the season ticket holders conference. They better come up with some heavy discounts, because while Les is making money, the team is losing..ticket prices went up last year as well so it's time for some compensation for the 1st round loss and this off-season.

19. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

But they need other guys to step up and help them win. Look at the 2 games the Rockets won in the Portland series. Who delivered the Game 3 victory? Troy Daniels(off a save and assist by Lin)? Who helped the Rockets stave off elimination in Game 5? Lin.

The supporting cast matters. That's not to say the likes of Canaan and D-Mo can't step up and fill those roles. But at least at the moment, the Rockets have a weaker starting 5 and weaker bench than a year ago.

20. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Oh I agree, we need a better bench than last year and our bench is depleted dramatically compared to last year. I would not agree our starting 5 is worse though. I will wait to judge that after the season starts. I think people will be surprised at how little a difference Ariza/Parsons swap really is.

I was more or less saying the "9th seed here we come" comment was just plain ignorant.