1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is there time to pull the Omer Asik trade off?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Broford, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Broford

Broford Member

From what I understand, the Pelicans are over the cap, and thus have to trade non-guaranteed contracts to acquire Omer Asik. However, one of those contracts is Melvin Ely, and he's not eligible to be traded until the 13th (according to RealGM) or the 14th (according to ESPN). Assuming that Chandler Parsons signs his offer sheet a few minutes after midnight, doesn't that mean that the Rockets have to officially Asik, waive non-guaranteed players, sign Bosh, and then match Parsons all within a time frame of a few minutes (Lin can be traded earlier)?

Someone correct me if I'm missing something.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

This seems like an interesting question, but hasn't gotten any responses.

Bima Thug?

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Which, along with the Lin trade (and the Lebron/Miami variables) is what could be holding up a true commitment from Bosh (not knowing that Houston actually has the cap space set in stone). This could be an issue with the timing that could play a part.

The Rockets need the Pelicans to make a trade to get that room for Asik. More than likely they already have something lined up (Austin Rivers for a 2nd rounder is probably what I anticipate), but until they make the trade for capspace, the deal gets held up.

Since it officially can't happen till midnight anyways, we just have to wait and see. I don't see it being an issue, but you never know.

#Crazyfreeagency

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think time starts when Houston receives the offer sheet. Remember how the Knicks were hiding from us and lins offer sheet?

Also, sometimes the league makes exceptions, IIRC, fire deals that are already agreed on but go just over the deadline, so there's that.

5. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

I forget he is still technically on the roster. I hate how the Rockets are depending on so many teams and players to make decisions. I honestly didn't think this nonsense was going to drag out as long as it has and I'm assuming Morey didn't either.

6. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You mean the carrier lost it tactic they used : ) lol

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

why can't they match parsons right away. then IF bosh decides to come, you can do this 4 way trade:

Rox get: bosh
    Pells get: asik/cash
    Sixers get: lin/cash/pick
    Heat get: pells pick

rockets incoming salary is within the 125% of the outgoing salaries so it works. we would never actually have to be under the cap and thus keep our MLE and BAE.

if bosh doesn't come here, we still have parsons and can trade asik/lin to move away from the LT so we can use our MLE and BAE. so really the only reason to NOT match parsons is the price tag, but deng and ariza won't be that much cheaper and parsons is younger and better.

8. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

im sure they have caller id, don't pick up unknown phone calls!! :p

9. theangrycanary

seems like a really stupid way to conduct business in the nba. Teams should submit the offers officially to the NBA. And teams should be responsible for checking and knowing what offers have been listed. The whole stupid thing with hiding from contract offers is... low class.

10. jedicro

jedicro Member

Was coming here to ask this...not pleased with the lack of answer..

11. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

Cp 2.5 is gone

12. Rudy_T's_CSF

Rudy_T's_CSF Member

Anyone know if this is true?

13. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Heat would have to agree to the SnT. You think that offer is worth the trade exception they would have?

14. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

Omer Asik is being traded into New Orleans cap space. They will waive their non-guaranteed contracts (which can be waived at any time between now and 11:01 CST July 12) and make a small transaction (Austin Rivers for a 2nd) to create the cap room. If the Rockets are signing Bosh, then Lin is being traded to Philly and that small transaction New Orleans must make can be folded into the Lin trade.

15. fluors

fluors Member

The Pelicans do not now have cap space to sign Asik. But yeah, they have contingency plans involving a variety of players not named Anthony Davis and Ryan Anderson. Rivers is most likely to be moved since Gordon's contract is distasteful (even though they are trying hard to unload him). Like the rest of league, they are waiting to learn the fallout from the Melo/LeBron/Love/Bosh decisions. Once this is known, they will know which teams can give back maximum value and allows them to hold on the MLE and BAE.

16. fluors

fluors Member

Edit: I meant to say........which teams will give them back maximum value without costing them the MLE and BAE.

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

So basically we screw ourselves to overpay Parsons or throw away the Pelican pick.

Nah.

Relax. All will be fine.

18. newAge_Rockets

I hate LeBron. This is honestly worse than The Decision. Just hiding away, and keeping multiple teams in limbo is a douche move.

19. ColdspringX

ColdspringX Member

i hope that deal doesnt go through, we got lowballed there coz everyone knows we need cap space to go after melo and bosh, if none of these 2 comes, we can trade Asik for better values some time late into this season.

20. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

keep asik trade lin..fill his cap with a wing player if parsons is gone..