1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Attainable 3 & D Role Players

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oakdogg, May 12, 2014.

1. wekko368

wekko368 Member

On what are you basing this? What do you think his market value is, and which teams do you think will pursue him?

2. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Based on a 26 game sample.

He shot 34.5%, 42.3%, 34.4% the years before and those numbers would likely go up with the Rockets, given the offensive talent he'd be surrounded with and the pace the Rockets play at.

Tolliver works hard, but isn't much of defender. More of a 4 than a 3, though he did alright at the 3 this past season. Still, not really a guy you'd pursue to guard wings.

As far as the other guys go... IMO you put way too much of an emphasis on DRPM. It shouldn't be used as more than just another tool in the toolbox. There are multiple players way overrated/underrated by DRPM.
    0% chance Vince Carter (2.45) was a better defender than P.J. Tucker (0.05) last year for example.

#102 HMMMHMM, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
  3. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I believe I read that he turned down Boston's initial $6M offer. That's a lot of $ for a role player

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

I'm really not big on any of the "big name" 3-D players. I feel those players will be paid too much because of the trend these days. The Rockets need to find those that are under the radar. A Delfino type player to me is perfect. Short term contract at reasonable money and very much a capable role player. Split our MLE into a Delfino and a Dunleavy type and I'd be very much find the offseason successful. Assuming we're not gutting the team for Melo.

5. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Is it? Jarrett Jack makes $6.3m. Korver makes $6m. Gerald Henderson makes $6m. Kevin Martin makes $7m. Redick gets $7m.

Based on those recently signed contracts, $6m-7m for Bradley is fair.

6. craguin

craguin Member

Confirmed, Celts offered a 4-year extension:

7. anchel

anchel Member

What about Paul Pierce? He's free.

8. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Good point.

He's added a respectable 3pt shot, he's a hustler, and he plays good D.

Another guy we should look at.

9. oakdogg

I agree, but I didn't keep it a secret that this wasn't an exact science. I said in the opening post that had to rely on an admittedly flawed statistic in cases where there is nothing else to go by. I'm open to any other suggestions, though I don't know if I'll have time to do the analysis.

In reading up on the DRPM (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...le&rand=ref~{"ref":"https://www.google.com/"}), I couldn't find a lot of specifics about how it's calculated, but it's clear it was developed by some people who are pretty respected in their field with some of the same considerations I had in mind:
    - how much the strength of one's teammates impact one's +/-
    - how much the strength of one's opponent impacts one's +/-

Without knowing the details of how it's calculated, we can't really evaluate the metric, and there are some surprising results in the DRPM rankings. It's what we got though, and I just have to have some faith that these respected individuals didn't totally screw the pooch on the logic. Vince Carter may not have the reputation of a great defender, but I'm confident he's doing something right.

10. oakdogg

Plus, using the DRPM is quick. Haha

11. oakdogg

He should definitely be on there. My bad. He meets all the criteria. Don't know what his contract demands will be or if he's OK to be a backup. He'd be nice though.

12. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Thanks Oakdogg. One of the meaningful threads this off season.
    Into the Future Rockets !

13. oakdogg

Jeff Taylor has only played 2 years in the NBA, and his career 3 PT% is 32%. That's not very good. Maybe he's better than that, but I don't think he's demonstrated 3 & D qualities at this level yet.

I actually wanted Tolliver as a 4.We need 4 help even more than on the wing IMO.

14. oakdogg

Thanks!

15. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

-Chasing Adelman away after having the highest winning% of any Rocket coach
    -Signing Jeremy Lin with that horrible contract
    -Letting Dragic walk
    -Drafting Marcus Morris over Kawhi Leonard
    -Drafting Joey Dorsey
    -amnestying Scola

Would you like more?

16. basketballholic

No. You didn't even read the full question. Not to mention most of your list wasn't mistakes anyways.

17. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

He'd be a great addition, not only for his on-court presence but also his presence in the locker room. He's been through and won countless playoff series. He would be a steadying influence in the locker room come the playoffs and he's clutch as hell.

18. oakdogg

Let's sign Anthony Tolliver for the vet minimum. Morey's screwed the pooch on all the other PF possibilities. Our PF situation sucks.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Lance Stephenson

20. newAge_Rockets

I wouldn't mind throwing some serious cash at him in a two year deal.