1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is there time to pull the Omer Asik trade off?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Broford, Jul 9, 2014.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yep. So many lives put on hold while he carefully mulls his options. What a douche.

2. seeingred

seeingred Member

Thanks for the explanation. If we somehow get a better deal for Asik in the next few days (I know, unlikely) could we stop this trade and do a different one ? How binding is a trade "agreed to in principal" - assuming the League Commissioner doesn't send it into the second row for "Basketball Reasons" ?

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Potential tool worth watching if Rockets don't land Bosh, remain over cap would be trade exception they'll get in Asik deal. Long way to go.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/statuses/487264691056435200">July 10, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. seeingred

seeingred Member

exactly. I guess I just feel like there is going to be more to this deal than "oh we traded Asik for a pick".

5. seeingred

seeingred Member

so.... I don't think we're trading Asik for a pick now. We needed to get rid of him to clear cap space for a Max Player. Melo is the only one left and I doubt he's coming here.

I think Asik will be used for a much larger purpose now.

6. mockster

mockster Member

Omer asik + whatever for Kevin love

7. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Can the Rockets restructure this trade to where we land Anderson instead of a 1st round pick?

They're going to move Anthony Davis to PF anyway's, with Asik on board.

It make's sense for both teams.

8. treeman

treeman Member

So... Are we moving him or not?

Doesn't this have to happen tomorrow if it's going to happen? I thought NO started clearing cap today. What happened?

I've been out of the loop today, some POS stole my wallet / car keys / phone :mad:

9. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

damn - sorry to hear. how did that happen?

10. clos4life

clos4life Member

My guess is the other person had a gun.

11. Rokman

Rokman Member

I think they should back out of trading Asik for the pick. In fact, I would love to just keep Asik here for next season. We need his depth. what would be awesome is if we were to keep Asik (now that we have Ariza) match Parsons contract, retain Daniels and pick up another solid big in FA to replace DMo since right now I don't see him growing into the player we thought he was. Move Ariza to 6th man and we have a deep bench!

Lineup:

P.G. - Beverley / Johnson (Big Time D!)
    S.G. - Harden / Daniels (Big Time O!)
    S.G. - Parsons / Ariza (Nice D off bench)
    P.F. - Jones / FA
    ...C. - Howard / Asik (Best Defensive Tandem in League)

We all of a sudden went from one of the worst Defenses to one of the best defenses without changing any of our Offensive power, in fact, we probably got more efficient offensively with the maturation of the team and Ariza, Daniels and Johnson being superior to our bench last year.

Could end up being a GREAT year to be a Rockets fan!

12. joelcwu

joelcwu Member

If we back out Asik trade with Pelicans no GM around NBA would ever give commitment to us in future trade. May be Morey could pulled it off without the consequence but I doubt he'll do that.

13. treeman

treeman Member

Security lapse on my part. I was working and left my crap unattended... Even though 6 cops were 15 feet away from it. Silly me, I thought it might be safe there. :rolleyes: I work for a city govt, my supervisor let the PD know he was not happy. Gonna be a long week for me.

14. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

sorry to hear that. could be the cops who took it, though.

15. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I understand where you are coming from, but the Asik trade makes still a ton of sense - for what we are getting back. Either capspace that could be really valuable or a TE - and a very valuable pick. We lose Asik next season anyways. If we match PArsons we lose him and don't have capspace anyways - we lose him for niothing. And we'd pay him 15 million in salary this year to play 15 minutes a game all while he is feeling betrayed and doesn't want to play for us anymore.

Now we can either use that capspace to sign someone right now - though there are no prolific PFs left outside of Monroe, who is a bad fit and a RFA. The TE can be bundled with a pick or a young player throughout the season. Guys like Ilyasova or J. Smith should easily be available without us having to give up anything else. Guys like Millsap might be available at the trade deadline, if their team underperforms (remember, Millsap is an UFA next offseason).

And the TE can be used in an attempt to trade for someone like Rondo or Love. Most of these teams would prefer a TE and the NOLA pick over renting Asik for half a season before he becomes a UFA.

So in short, we have to do this trade and we probably should do it after matching Parsons...

16. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Agreed, so I am guessing this deal gets done today. Something about Ely's contract? Anyways, I expect some more fireworks today and then the decision of to match or not match Parsons by 11 PM

17. HCA

HCA Member

So whatever cap space we have left (around 8.5 million) cant be used because this trade cant be completed until Monday? Assuming we match parsons....hmm that sucks.

On the bright side, I guess that means we get to keel our mle, and room exception right? And we still get the te of course. ASSETS

18. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I don't think we get the mle and the room exception if we sign Ariza as a FA - we only get it if we do a S&T. And anyways, if we keep Parsons we might have to watch our salary closely. We are dangerously close to the tax apron, and we'd want to use the TE at some point to upgrade our PF or get a star. I don't think Morey would use everything he can, simply because of the tax.

I expect us to sign a backup C for the minimum (Okafor) and use the Asik salary (either as capspace or as a TE) at some point - not the MLE and room exception as well.

19. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Perhaps you or a cap expert can clarify this. I'm reading that if we opt to trade Asik after matching parsons at 11pm (thereby creating a TE instead of cap space) the TE can't be combined with any other player to trade for one other player making more than $100,000 above the TE (in asiks case $8.5M).

From cbafaq.com

The Traded Player exception is the primary means by which teams over the cap complete trades. It allows teams to make trades that leave them over the cap, but it places several restrictions on those trades. Trades using the Traded Player exception fall into two categories: simultaneous and non-simultaneous. As its name suggests, a simultaneous trade takes place all at once. Teams can trade players together and acquire considerably more salary than they trade away in a simultaneous trade. Simultaneous trades are described in question number 84. A non-simultaneous trade may take up to a year to complete, but the team can only trade away one player, and its team salary can increase by no more than $100,000 as a result of the trade. Non-simultaneous trades are described in question number 85.

In short:

- A simultaneous trade gives the team more money but less time

- A non-simultaneous trade gives the team more time but less money

I believe trading Asik would constitute a non-simultaneous trade and therefore we can't combine the TE with other players to increase the amount of salary we'd receive.

More from cbafaq.com

85. What is a non-simultaneous trade?

In some cases, teams have up to one year to acquire the replacement player(s) to complete a trade. These trades are considered non-simultaneous. In a non-simultaneous trade, a team can acquire only up to 100% plus $100,000 of the outgoing salary1 (as opposed to a higher amount in a simultaneous trade). A trade in which salaries are aggregated (see question number 84) cannot be non-simultaneous.

Teams cannot combine trade exceptions with other exceptions (such as the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception or a taxpaying team's 125% plus $100,000 margin from another simultaneous trade) in order to trade for a more expensive player. For example, a taxpaying team with a $1 million trade exception cannot combine it with their $2 million player to trade for a $3 million player (see question number 88 for more information on combining exceptions).

If that's the case we're limited to using asiks TE to trade for players whose contracts are $8.5M and under.

Therefore if we want to trade for a player like milsap, rondo, smith, love ( anyone over $8.5M) then it has to be done now before 11pm, we'd have to trade for them using other contracts (ariza + other contracts), or we kill the trade and hold onto asiks to use as a trade piece later when a deal comes up.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

#39 Rox>Mavs, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014