1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Toni Collins

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Dec 13, 2013.

Tags:
  1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Sure, if that's the first time you see her and read her name. :p

Weak argument. That's NOT what her mom called her on the interview I linked. She's obviously NOT "Toni" from birth. Don't give me that junk.
    You don't tell me what to do, sir. :p

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I did not make a comparison.

But I understand now. If you come from a (maybe) Spanish-speaking household and decide to work in television, you cannot assume a nom-de-TV, cannot change your haircut, hair color, mode of speech, wardrobe, daily diet, musical tastes, etc. *especially* if it somehow furthers your career, in the way that all other people alter these completely trivial things in order to further their own careers in TV.

Makes perfect sense! :p

3. SwoLy-D

^ LOL! :grin:

Now you're tossing in crappy stuff like "haircut", hair color, "mode of speech" (WTH is that, anyway?), wardrobe... I mean, wardrobe, really?!?!?

She's defaming her Hispanic/Latino heritage just to "fit in", when keeping her original name will NOT hurt at all. That's SELLING OUT. :p THAT makes perfect sense.

4. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Hahah. You guys are seriously arguing with SwoLy?

5. B-Bob

:grin: All in bueno fun.

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

She's pretty. idk how old she is, but it seems like she's one of those hispanic girls that don't get fat as soon as they turn 23. That's huge, because with that, they age well into their 40s naturally as Hispanic girls do.

7. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Toni's favorite album for 2013 was "My Name is my Name" by Pusha T.

8. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

When I see a Mexican girl with a huge ass as in big ass, I say "that's a whole lot of Manteca in that ass.

9. SwoLy-D

There's no "one of those hispanic girls that don't get fat as soon as they turn 23" thing :rolleyes:.

She's starving herself to stay that way... or, she's hitting the gym a lot. She's not eating as much as fatties and she's working out. It's pretty simple. She wants to maintain that figure and trying to not end up like her mom, the more famous Collins (who didn't sell out):
    [​IMG]
    Don't turn this into some stereotypical thing. There's no such thing. You either watch what you eat or you don't.

10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

that chick isn't Mexican

her last name is Collins. Doesn't get any more American than that

11. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

Swoly, will you tell me if you're being serious or just trolling, so I know how much effort to put into my response?

If you are serious, it seems like a real dip**** thing to be upset about.

Eastern Europeans, Jewish people, Asian people, tons of people change their names to be part of show business.

If my name is Antonieta and I'm moving to American TV, I'd much rather be Toni than have a bunch of fat old white men butcher my name by calling me "Ann-tawnee-yedda."

12. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Then the stereotype is most Mexican women don't watch what they eat.

13. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Correct! If I'm not mistaken, it's more like 17.

14. SwoLy-D

[reads thread]
    Nope... no one said she is Mexican. My dear bigtexxx, why are you bringing "Mexican" up? :confused:

Her mom is Mexican and her REAL NAME is "Antonieta".

That's a stereotype that I'd like to get rid of, Yonkers.

Ender, you tell ME if I'm trolling you if all I've told you is just BS or if I have a point in saying she's selling out. So she was in show business before going to ESPN. Why didn't she change her name before? SELLING OUT to ESPN, that's why. And it's not your pronunciation, it would be "ahn-toh-ni-EH-tah", sir.
    That's not the case here. She WAS on "American TV" when she was with UnivisiĆ³n Deportes Network before moving to ESPN. Or are you going to tell me that UDN isn't "American"?

Why is she so afraid to keep her given name? If she's a good anchor/broadcaster/TV person, then she's good no matter WHAT name. Keep it. Am I not being clear enough? YOU would keep your name no matter what country or what station you work for. Stop selling out.

15. B-Bob

Just for a fun comparison (and to show that nobody else ever changes their real name in TV, movies, etc):

Woody Allen = Allen Stewart Konigsberg
    Julie Andrews = Julia Wells
    Jennifer Aniston = Jennifer Anastassakis (dat assakis!)
    Fred Astaire = Frederick Austerlitz
    Bjork = Bjork Gudmundsdottir :grin:
    Lauren Bacall = Betty Joan Perske
    George Balanchine (choreographer) = Georgi Balanchivadze
    Antonio Banderas = Jose Bandera
    Bridgette Bardot = Camille Javal
    Pat Benatar = Patricia Andrzejewski
    Tony Bennett = Anthony Benedetto
    Jon Bon Jovi = John Bongiovi
    Lisa Bonet = Lisa Boney :grin: (why would she change that?)
    Sonny Bono = Salvatore Bono
    Ernest Borgnine (one of my favorites) = Ermes Borgnino
    David Bowie = David Hayward-Jones (LOL, sell-out!)
    Josh Brolin = Josh Bruderlin
    Garth Brooks = Troyal (lulz) Brooks
    Yul Brynner = Taidje Khan
    George Burns = Nathan Birnbaum
    Levar Burton = Levardis Burton Jr. (sold out so hard, he changed his dad's name!)
    Red Buttons = Aaron Chwatt :grin:
    Carrot Top = Scott Thompson
    Jackie Chan = Kong-sang Chan
    Patsy Cline = Virginia Hensley (oh the humanity!)
    Alice Cooper = Vincent Furnier (not as scary with fake blood)

(and we've only barely started the C's)

16. SwoLy-D

:confused: Are y'all not reading what I'm posting? I mean, I know it makes y'all mad about what I'm arguing but... I'm not saying "why do TV people change their name?"...

Y'all seem to miss my point:
    She was ALREADY in TV. She goes to English-speaking TV and changes her name. WHY? It's not like there's not any other unpronounceable Antonietta anywhere.

Watch this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U92yHywd90c

BEFORE that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aitLnw7ddx0 (what YouTube username is that? Unknown person now?):
    <object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/aitLnw7ddx0?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/aitLnw7ddx0?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

17. B-Bob

So... it's the point at which a person changes their name that's important?

I truly, and sincerely, don't get it. I listed a lot of Jewish people, Eastern European people, Greek people there. Why are they not appropriate comparisons? Do you know exactly when they took on their performance / camera names? I don't. Well, Jackie Chan took on "Jackie" when he moved to Canberra and started college.

They all sold out, based on your criteria.

personally, I do find "Toni" easier to pronounce than Antionetta, FWIW.

I ain't even mad, by the way. You just really seem to distinguish this one case against all others, and I guess for fun I'm just keeping it going until you really say why. That it's more important for a Spanish-speaking person than someone who maybe grew up in a Yiddish-speaking household or German-speaking household or something? Or what?

18. Juxtaposed Jolt

This thread is so derailed. Came in expecting every post to be a picture, .gif, or a comment about how hot she is. Instead, arguments abound, NOT about if she's hot (valid), but about her name?

[​IMG]

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Too much text, not enough pics of female.

20. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Really big, huge...just coming out the top of her dress, they were like, choking her.