1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Metta World Peace speaks on elbow

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by bullardfan, May 8, 2012.

1. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...ce-los-angeles-lakers-call-james-harden-elbow

Should have been suspended for longer. definitely.

When Metta World Peace wanted to know how James Harden was doing after he had leveled Harden with an elbow to the head, he didn't call Harden directly, the Los Angeles Lakers forward told Conan O'Brien in an interview that aired Monday night.

Metta World Peace said that he didn't call James Harden after elbowing him late last month. Are you OK with this?

World Peace, who was suspended seven games by the NBA for the incident, which left Harden with a concussion, told O'Brien he sought out the Oklahoma City Thunder guard's condition through indirect means.
    "When it happened, you know, I didn't realize he was that hurt until the day after, because guys in the NBA flop," World Peace told O'Brien in an appearance on "Conan". "So I called some third parties, and they said he was OK.

"It's so competitive, you know, I wanted to make sure he was OK first, so I did that. But to call him to make sure he's OK? I didn't want to do that."
    World Peace and Harden could meet again on the court soon, as the Lakers are one win away from advancing to a seven-game Western Conference semifinal series against the Thunder. They can solidify that matchup with a win against the Denver Nuggets on Tuesday night.

World Peace' suspension started with the Lakers' last regular-season game, making Tuesday night's playoff game the sixth of seven games he must sit out. If the Lakers clinch their first-round series Tuesday night, World Peace would miss Game 1 and would be eligible to return for Game 2, at Oklahoma City.

In the interview, World Peace told O'Brien that Harden "runs into people's elbows. When somebody dunks, he puts his chin right there. He did it to (Knicks center) Tyson Chandler."
    As for the elbow itself? "I felt something, but I didn't know it was his actual head," World Peace told O'Brien.

World Peace was originally scheduled to be a guest on O'Brien's late-night talk show on April 23. But he canceled that appearance, as it would have come on the heels of the seven-game suspension.
    "Thanks for the invite Conan O'Brien. Today was not good timing for me to do your show.... I wanted to do comedy but not much is funny now," World Peace said on Twitter at the time.

2. arjun

arjun Member

the elbow was wrong...but im fine with him not calling the player directly.

they are almost like rivals...and a good chance they might meet in the conference finals...its a breathe of fresh air to see that some players actually have pride in their teams and look at other players as enemies like the 90s...unlike now days where everyone is going around trying to be BFFs

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't blame him for not calling either. But I don't like all the excuses he gave.

Not knowing if he's really hurt? Seriously? You cocked your elbow and hit with force.

Harden got into people's elbow after they dunked? Yeah, right. The guy just likes being hit by elbows of 250+ pounds athletes. That's the most ridiculous excuse I've heard.

4. ArtisGilmore

ArtisGilmore Member

I don't think it's the fact that MWP didn't call Harden that is the problem, it's the fact that MWP accused Harden of flopping and thought his elbow wasn't that bad.

5. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

What's important is that Harden seems fine. He was in good enough condition to help wipe out the Dallas Mavericks.

6. onreego

onreego Member

That and saying Harden blatantly runs into elbows.

7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I never thought the elbow was that big of a deal. Then again, I have been watching the NBA since the 80s so I remember when men played the sport.

8. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Ron Artest is an idiot but who cares if he didn't call harden.

9. Scolandry

Scolandry Member

On top of that, how's Harden doing? Oh wait... he just closed out game 4 by himself in Dallas couple of days. I'm sure it was one hell of an elbow.

10. red_alertz

red_alertz Member

harden flopped, artest is the victim here

11. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

I totally disagree with you...on BOTH counts. Real basketball players admit what they're doing. This jack-off is trying to hide behind ignorance. F him.

But I'm getting out of this basketball thing anyway so you guys, and Stern can do what you wish to it. After 30 years I really don't give a crap how the rest of the season ends. And that is a freaking first.

Definately losing my love for the game.....

12. jbasket

jbasket Member

cool story bro.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

He didn't say Harden flopped; he said he generally looks for opportunities to get hit so he can flop. And, I believe he's right. And, I think Harden might have been looking to flop on that very play before he got laid out.

Even so, Artest probably should let other people say that for him and keep his own mouth shut.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It's usually a bad thing when you blame the victim for the crime.

15. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

The guy doesnt have to call him but his apathy towards the whole situation warrants a more stringent punishment. Speaking of basketball past, let's not forget Rudy T's career was cut short b/c of a blow to his face.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

17. Nook

Nook Member

I don't have a problem with anything MWP said.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I expect Nazir Mohammed to come off the bench and level Artest. Durant will take care of the money lost.

19. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Although Harden does flop, I doubt he runs into elbows like MWP suggests.

20. gah

gah Member

The elbow was inexcusable but putting myself as a competitor I don't see anything wrong with Artest wanting to remain edgy for the forthcoming series.