1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[nbatv]rockets vs lakers 4th quarter 1986

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Aug 6, 2006.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i was flipping channels and its on now!

2. tinman

Supporting Member

now game 4 vs the celtics in 1986 is starting.
    'we will rock you' playing in the background of the summit.

3. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Well I was watching the Dead Zone, but thanks for the heads up!

4. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

the ironic thing about that game being on last night is that it followed the "NBA at 50" program hosted by Denzel Washington which totally dissed the Rockets.

after going through each decade then talking about the Lakers/Celtics/Pistons in the 80's and starting the 90's with the Bulls they showed "the move" that Dream put on Robinson and said "the rockets and hakeem provided a nice diversion until Jordan returned."

thomas and the pistons got several minutes of run for their two championships while the dream and rockets got a single sentence and a single clip.

ridiculous. :mad:

after seeing that piece of garbage, it was nice to see the rockets rip the heart out of magic and the lakers. :D

5. Pocket Rockets

yes, i saw the whole game...couldn't create a thread...
    but man, saw that fight with dream and kupchek...olajuwon was pissed...sampson almost got into a fight himself but dream held him back...

was a great game though!!

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm just curious, do you think the rockets were a better team than those pistons. I understand your frustration, its not the rockets' fault that jordan retired. but I think the point the broadcast was making was that there was a progression, celtics-lakers-pistons-bulls.

7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

the rockets won back to back just like pistons. why wouldn't they be in this so called progression? it's a slap in the face regardless of how you spin it.

8. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

the rockets were better in 94 & 95 than every other team, just like the pistons where better in 89 & 90.

my point is that it's ridiculous and insulting considering the language used to describe the rockets championships in that single sentence in which they were mentioned.

evidently, no championship after jordan retired should be held with any regard since they never had to face jordan, magic, larry or isiah.

is the celtics 86 championship invalid since they ONLY faced the rockets, and not the lakers?

hell, even in the coverage of the post-jordan era, they showed Reggie Miller footage/interviews and he didn't win squat, not to mention stockton/malone and barkley footage.

for a team that won two championships to be mentioned less than miller, stockton, malone and barkley is ridiculous.

but to answer your question, do i think the rockets were a better team than the pistons? i'm of the opinion that the rockets would have defeated the bulls w/jordan....so, yes. i think many people underestimate the talent of the rockets' supporting cast, but i don't really feel like rehashing all that.

do you think the pistons teams could have gone through Utah (60 wins), Phoenix (59 wins), San Antonio (62 wins) and Orlando (57 wins) without home court advantage to take a championship? it's hard to say, since the rockets are the only team in league (sports?) history to achieve such a feat. not that it's worth mentioning in a television show about the NBA at 50.

btw, the pistons had home court in every series in both 89 and 90. must have been nice. ;)

9. Pocket Rockets

Actually,

just to give you a heads up, if you end up watching the entire nba @ 50 program, there is a whole segment on the rockets!

it talks about resiliant teams in the history of nba and the rockets come up first as there is a two minute clip on us....and our two championships!

they actually seperated the 90's decade from the resiliant teams

10. tinman

Supporting Member

dream vs laimbeer
    otis vs rodman
    mario vs vinny johnson
    maxwell vs isiah
    horry vs mark aguirre

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Actually that was a bad choice of words. I meant that each team up until the rockets beat the champion before them.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

those games back in the day had so much emotion. the lakers were the defending champs with Magic/Worthy/Kareem/Scott/Cooper in their prime and we took it to them.

13. Doc Rocket

Doc Rocket Contributing Member

Why Johnny Smith...I didn't know you posted here. :)

I love DEADZONE...good show.

14. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

too funny. after that brief mention of the rockets, i switched it off until the lakers/rockets game. :D

i guess i'll have to try and catch the last few minutes next time. thanks for the heads up.

15. Pocket Rockets

didn't k.smith start?
    or the 2nd year when drexler was in?

i think i would matchup our 2nd season with that pistons team..better chance

16. Pocket Rockets

no prob...first time i saw it i started to get frustrated til i saw the seperate segment...then i was pretty impressed :D

17. tinman

Supporting Member

1st year Rockets were the better defensive team. I like OT outboarding Rodman.
    showing who's really the true PF.

18. The Ming Dynasty

The Ming Dynasty Contributing Member

Yep! You are correct. However, Dumars started above "the Microwave" anyway, so I guess it's a wash. ;) My money would have been on the Rockets (1994 or '95) - no way Laimbeer could've held Dream, especially considering Robinson "the MVP" couldn't in '95.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

the spurs had Rodman and the MVP in 95.

20. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Jordan DID play in 95. 17 games and he was rusty but still...if its such an automatic that Jordan being there means a championship then he didnt get it done. He came back cuz he missed the game yeah but also came back to win it all. He didnt so hold it against him :D