1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It is a mistake for the US to try to overthrow the democratic government in Venezuela.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Feb 18, 2014.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I didn't see much nuance, only "evil USA rah-rah-rah" - the usual from this poster. Also, it's not hatred, just not worth a nuanced response if any evil in the world is traced back to the USA by Mathloom.

For a start, it could revive tourism if the government managed to enforce a rule of law and if tourism companies wouldn't have to be afraid that their property will suddenly be stolen by the government (such as the Hilton hotel in Caracas).

Venezuela is a beautiful country that should be a prime tourism destination in the world. Instead, it has become incredibly dangerous. Airlines and hotel operators are pulling out because it is neither safe nor lucrative to get people into that country anymore.

2. prohibido

prohibido Member

Someone said it recently in a different context but it bears repeating. Your lack of self-awareness is quite amazing. There are very few other posters that post so much yet add so little. You are nothing more than an islamophobic parakeet.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You can be a pretty petty individual sometimes that holds grudges like my 60 year old aunt.

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

And who are you? :)

Oh wait, let's have a look.

This mouth-breather has a total of 81 posts, most of which are gems like the ones below:

So much for lack of self-awareness. You are certainly not the authority on who adds what. Get back to me when you have made your first decent post.

#144 AroundTheWorld, Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I used to work with a girl that is now divorced from a Venezuelan MLB player. She told me 2 scary ass stories about being in the country. One of them being her husband and her were almost kidnapped. The hotel she stayed at for a month was surrounded by barbwire and she could not leave the hotel the entire time.

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It's not holding grudges, it's not wasting time on someone who is not worth it. You seem to think I care more than I do :).

Please say hi to your aunt from me.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

"Secuestro express" - it exists in other Latin American countries as well (e.g. in Ecuador I was told to only use hotel cars, not even official taxis), but as far as I know, it's worst in Venezuela, even when you use "official" taxis from the airport.

http://www.elnuevoherald.com/noticias/mundo/america-latina/venezuela-es/article25390987.html

From Google Translate:

Chavez/Maduro certainly have not managed to uphold the rule of law in that country. Cuba is much better in that respect.

8. fchowd0311

Then don't respond at all to him if you feel that way? Makes more rational sense to me.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Sometimes it feels good to let annoying people know they are annoying.

Just look at his obnoxious post in Roc Paint's "What have you done" thread in the Hangout.

Even there, he manages to be annoying, with his constant anti-USA slant.

Not sure he actually needs you as a white knight? I'm sure he can type up an emotional 100,000 character response to me calling him an idiot all by himself.

10. fchowd0311

To me that's petty. I'm not stating that I've never been petty on this message board, but it does definitely seem petty to me.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Which countries are those where people's overall average or median standard of living went up because the government allowed mature foreign companies to enter a free market with fetal local companies? I'd love to hear about these, but I feel like you are probably referring to examples like Egypt which was a bastion of economic growth, even championed by Goldman Sachs for having a high GDP growth although most PEOPLE's standard of living in Egypt was going down. We all know what happened to Mubarak.

I would do some research on Mexico and Peru. I mean, consider for a second that you're listing Peru and Mexico as examples for what Venezuela should be? How long has Mexico been working on being a corrupt, politically invaded, geographically robbed, gang-influenced country which has a horrendous economy relative to the size of the country and people?

How about another possibility? How about the possibility that Venezuelans should do exactly what an American would want for their country, and non-Venezuelans should do exactly what you would want non-Americans to do? Has that ever occurred to you that they should also have a highly protectionist government which favors local companies and people over foreigners and international monitors and all that stuff many on here don't want for America?

Can't Maduro just go on a murder spree to achieve stability? After all, stability elsewhere has been a huge excuse for american foreign policy killing so many humans in world history.

Maybe Venezuelans can act to get a country just like the one you fantasize about? Is that ok with you? Or do they have to be Mexico and Peru?

With all due respect to Mexicans and Peruvians, all those people should have much more for what they've given. Mexicans and Peruvians deserve FAR better than their situation, and Venezuelans do too.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Mexico exonomy- 13th in GDP with 2.7% growth, 6.5% unemployment, 2.5% inflation, credit rating at least BBB+ and outlook stable, debt 38% of GDP

Peru economy- 39th in GDP with 5.9% growth, 3.6% unemployment, 2% inflation, credit rating at least BBB+ and outlook stable, debt 10.9% of GDP

Venezuela economy - 31st and contracted 5.7% in 2015, 17% unemployment, 449% inflation, credit rating CCC with negative outlook, debt 51% of GDP

Someone is doing it wrong.

And just saying "they deserve better" is completely meaningless. That doesn't mean much to starving Venezuelans who would rather be in just about any other country except North Korea

#153 Mr. Clutch, Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2016