1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nash vs CP3

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Air Langhi, Oct 24, 2014.

?

Better?

1. CP3

27 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. Nash

60 vote(s)
    69.0%
  1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think over the past decade or so they have been the two best PGs in the NBA. Which one of them was better in their prime?

I would lean toward CP3 since his numbers are better.

But Nash took his team farther in the playoffs. Even without Amare they got to WCF. Plus he is a two time MVP. He got Diaw paid. He got JJ paid. All the guys who played in phoenix had careers years.

So based on playoff success, and the way he was able to elevate other's game I think I will take Nash. Of course CP3 has a few more years left to surpass Nash.

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Nash won two MVPs in his prime, of course he was better. Also I'd say Deron Williams deserves consideration in the best pg of the decade conversation. He had stretch in Utah where id argue he peaked higher than CP3 ever did.

3. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

This is a interesting debate. To me both players are overrated. They both have huge downsides.

Nash has had better teams and advanced further in the play offs. But he was a huge negative on defense. His MVP's are not deserved, the turnaround Phoenix made when he started playing for them was also a result of having a healthy team (the year before many key players missed many games because of injuries).

While I am not a huge fan of Paul his defense is light years better than Nash. However he has not been able to lead his team.

I think I will still vote for Nash.

4. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

To me it isn't that close, on an individual basis cp3 is ahead.

5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

CP3 is a better all-round player and also light-years ahead on defense. Sad that people only look at MVP trophies and playoff success. You think CP3 wouldn't have been as successful as Nash with those Suns teams?

6. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

I took Nash just because of this one game. The dude always showed up and was always clutch. I know statistically CP3 has pretty much always been better but as a basketball fan it's hard not to love Nash.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/a2UhjrJkof8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. CCorn

CCorn Member

Nash all day every day.

He made his teammates significantly better and got them insane contracts they could never live up to.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

[​IMG]

I not a huge fan of either one but this shot chart tells you all you need to know.

edit:

Here is another one.

[​IMG]

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

That's impossible to say, CP3 has never been a high tempo pg like Nash, I'm not sure how much more successful he would be in that Mike D run and gun system. If anything that system would hinder CP3's strengths.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Paul is the better all around player, especially if you include flopping.

11. 713

713 Member

CP3 and it's not even close. Nash's numbers were inflated in Dantoni's system.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

They each do certain things better, but I'd take CP3.

13. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I have to disagree about Williams. He was really good but Paul was always better, in my opinion. And when Williams started getting injured, Paul continued his success.

Paul is one of the few people to have a PER over 30 for the season. Only players like Jordan, LeBron, Wade and TMac are players to accomplish that. Paul took some underwhelming Hornets teams to the playoffs. He has lead the league in steals and assist while keeping his turnovers relatively low. I do think Paul can be overrated who gets away with flops as well as anyone but he is still an amazing player.

I have to go with Paul over Nash, too. Mainly because Paul is a great defender and Nash has always been a revolving door defensively. Offensively, Nash gets the edge due to his shooting but overall, Paul has been the better player.

14. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

Nash is my favorite player of all time, and Chris Paul is really kind of a punk, but Paul is still better. He's just so damn good.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'll take CP3 for the overall game. People call out Nash's defense, I think that's overblown. No he didn't play defense, but I don't think it means he wasn't great. Barkley was the same way.

Ultimately it depends a bit on how the team is constructed as to which I'd take. For this Rockets team I'd take CP3. For Yao's Rockets - give me Nash.

A reminder though, these elite ball dominators don't have much success in the playoffs or winning titles. Isiah was the last of the breed. Elite PG might be the most over valued position in sports.

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

i agree with this

Paul, as talented as he it, just hasn't accomplished much and just seems to be missing something to me

17. Ismail

Ismail Member

Nash in his prime was unreal and relied even less on athleticism (at least in the realm of being lightning quick) than Paul. He had like six years of being at or right at 50/40/90 percentages. People give D'Antoni a ton of credit for Nash being great, but he was pretty awesome his last 2 years with the Mavs too, (18 and 8 player). Plus, it's not like D'Antoni has replicated that level of success everywhere he's gone (albeit maybe he hasn't had as good of a team, but that still speaks to how good Nash was though at distributing the ball and keeping people happy).

And he did pretty well when Terry Porter got replaced with Alvin Gentry. Nash was incredibly close to making the Finals a couple of times. Maybe one of his MVPs was undeserved, but for a player to dominate the game as he did relying purely on skill and IQ was so awesome to see in a time when the league was taken over by raw athleticism. Nash made so many players look way better than they actually were.

Chris Paul is on another level for me, though. The fact that he's a pretty good defender despite being shorter, smaller, and less athletic than almost everyone he guards is impressive. He tops many people's list as the best point guard in the league at a time where there are a ton of pretty good point guards. He manages an offense incredibly well, and I think if he was more aggressive with his scoring, all his teams would be/would have been better suited. The fact that his usage is so high, his PER is ridiculous, but his turnovers are so low, is amazing. His playoff success is the biggest knock against him, though. I think that has a lot to do with coaches and management. Maybe Doc can take him far, they have to be one of the favorites to top the West, now that Durant will be out for a little while.

18. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

This question is a good litmus test to see who understands basketball.

19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He had incredible footwork and was insanely quick with the ball. It requires some insane eye hand coordination to do what he did. I think eye hand coordination is part of athleticism.

20. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Nash's toughness and grit in playoffs is some of the coolest stuff that I've ever seen on a basketball court. Dude was a beast offensively and could've went down as one of the greats if he would've been an elite defender. But he wasn't an elite defender, he wasn't even a good or average defender.

CP3's ability to ball on both ends of the court gives him the nod, IMO. But if they're both in their primes, and the game is tied with five minutes to go in the fourth quarter of game seven in the WCF. I'm taking Nash.