1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Grantland] Lowry and McHale

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by lnchan, Sep 23, 2014.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Not sure if anyone posted this yet... but Dish it goes.

http://grantland.com/features/kyle-...ets-memphis-grizzlies-demar-derozan-rudy-gay/

The Rockets grabbed the first free-agency meeting with Lowry, who began the session by apologizing to McHale. “I was an immature kid, and I wish I would have learned a lot more from him, and I wish I had a chance to play for him longer,” Lowry recalled telling his former coach. McHale responded that if he rejoined Houston, Lowry would have to regain the trust of the coaching staff. In a different time, the request may have irked Lowry. He had worked hard to position himself for this moment, this free agency, and to become one of the league’s better point guards.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Wish we had Lowry for the contract he got. Maybe we could have had

Lowry
    Harden
    Parsons (or Ariza)
    Jones
    Howard

I think that is a contender.

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, in hindsight we clearly shouldn't have asked Lowry to wait until LeBron/Melo/Bosh situations were resolved. If we had made him our #1 target I'm sure he would have signed here.

4. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Still dont quite understand why of all the free agents we were pursuing, Kyle was the first one targeted at midnight!!! Some may argue that its because the other FA had scheduled appointments accordingly, but there is no question in my mind that there was a lot going on behind the scenes this offseason that "kicked" the Rockets mgmt in the nads....

5. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

We should have just signed Kyle Lowry and made a run at Millsap or Horford (more unlikely) usign our other assets.

Lowry
    Harden
    Ariza
    Millsap
    Howard

Is definitely the best starting 5 in the league.

It's all in retrospect anyway.

6. blueshampoo

blueshampoo Member

I don't think Lowry really feels this way. He's only saying things that people spew in media. He's having a better season in another team, why would he regret not playing worse in a team that made him a backup?

7. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Lowry said that McHale was stricter than Adelman? I thought the assumption these days was that McHale rolls a ball and takes naps during practice.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Not surprised at all.

Adelman is not exactly a disciplinarian, and that is part of why he was popular with players. As long as you did what you were supposed to, Adelman left his players alone.

McHale is more of a disciplinarian, and that isn't a shock as he played for the Celtics in the 1980's.

People also forget that Adelman was coaching a more veteran team in Houston than McHale.

If you want to replace McHale, that is fine but give me names of realistic targets that are not just a marginal improvement. No one has really been able to do that.

9. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Geez louise.....well the clock still moves on the wall. Ya never know in the nba

10. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

sigh...you act like an overwhelmed soccer mom with too many kids running laps around her during a game, but yet you choose to go with the tough love approach when you are trying to lure a free agent? Earn what trust? empty effing words, like he gonna have to compete with Beverly for the starting spot. give me a break.

11. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

With McHale, as coach we still would come up short.

12. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

'Earning the coaching staff's trust' isn't a bad thing when it comes to Lowry. If you read the article you would probably know that Lowry loves to prove himself worthy. It's a challenge, not an insult to Lowry. Get over it.

And even if we did make Lowry the priority over Bosh and Melo there was still no 100 percent chance he would sign with us.

We didn't miss out on anything. The only thing the Rockets got screwed on this off-season was Chandler Parsons and Dallas, and even that was still sort of our faults. McHale isn't at fault for Lowry not signing here and us waiting for Lebron should not be put to blame either.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It depends on what you mean by "disciplinarian." If by it you mean in-your-face kind of demeanor, then I don't think either Adelman or McHale can be called disciplinarian. If you mean yanking a player whenever he doesn't perform, well, McHale is disciplinarian to maybe A FEW players. If you mean having a clearly defined scheme and only players who would buy into it would get to play much, then Adelman is more disciplinarian than McHale.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The bottom line is that the Rockets asked Lowry to wait on the outcome of the Bosh/Lebron situation and Toronto did not. I would not have done this. Bosh is very good and perhaps the perfect fit as PF next to Howard, but between he and Lowry, I'd have taken whoever says "yes" first.

Getting Lowry to committ could have allowed HOU to keep Parsons and maybe add another mid-priced free agent. Maybe Morey doesn't like Lowry that muchness the Third Star-- but then again he knew Lowry's market value would not be cheap so why chase him in the first place?

15. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Going for Melo was the biggest mistake. Melo had no intention of Being of Rocket which probably 70% of this board originally thought.

16. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Hey, don't interrupt people making **** up! (See below.) You've got actual quotations from NBA personnel, then you've got dudes with ESP reading their "real feelings" from a thousand miles away.

17. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

if we had signed Lowry and then traded away Lin to the lakers, is there any scenario where we still could have signed Bosh?

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'd like to say that was a great article on Lowry. I like to read his back story like this

Heading into FAgency. I only wanted him. But knew it couldn't happen

I just wish these inner city kids were more good guys like the new kids

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

It should be the other way around. Can Lowry trust Mchale.

20. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

the way i see it - lowry was one of the best pgs the rockets ever had.

i watched every game that last season with us and he hu$tled