1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Retired players in today's NBA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by weslinder, Jan 24, 2008.

1. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

SamFisher's poll in the GARM got me to thinking: Which players from the NBA's past would benefit most from today's rules (some zones allowed, no hand-checking)? Which players would be hurt the most?

The player that I think would benefit the most is Kevin Johnson. He was the best scoring PG of a generation, but he'd be even better today. KJ was a better finisher than Iverson ever was, at least as good as Tony Parker, and way better than either at passing and running an offense. Without hand-checking being allowed, he might have averaged 30 points for a few seasons.

The on the other hand, the player that I think would be hurt the most would be the mid-90s Gary Payton. He was a PG whose best part of his game was physical defense. He'd have to tone that down, and I think his defense would be neutralized. Honorable mentions for this are Joe Dumars and our own Vernon Maxwell, for similar reasons.

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

alot of the centers because they could double immediately before the pass comes in.

3. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Benefit the most: Smaller wing players, Isiah Thomas, LaFayette Lever, Bernard King, and etc. They would have high scoring averages, probably in 30s easily, M.J. would be averaging like 40 ppg

Hurt the Most: Wilt Chamberlain, Patrick Ewing, and other centers. Because, you could legitmately limit their opportunities with illegal defenses. The NBA is the only league that allows for inferior teams to be effective against good big men and great scorers, what kind of defense is that in basketball to double a player, before he even touches the ball.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

We agree on KJ. I think I specifically mentioned him before. Another guy it would benefit. How about Michael Jordan. He would get to the line 18 times per game, I genuinely believe that. Actually I think it would get so ridiculous that Stern would have to change the rules back to be more physical.

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

All I know is Derek Harper's career would have ended a lot sooner since his brand of defense involved practically bear hugging people at the 3 point line.

6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Like most have mentioned, I think the great Centers would not be as effective in today's NBA (which is sad, BTW, David Stern).

Any perimeter players who attack the rim would do well. I think KJ is a great example. He is, to me, one of the top 5 quickest players to play the game. In his prime he would go by his man over and over and over. It was very frustrating to anyone who wasn't a Suns fan. Of course, Jordan would put up Wilt like scoring numbers as well.

I think Magic Johnson would average a triple double in today's game.

7. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

LOL! Thats funny because its so true!

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

MJ would have scored even more.

DD

9. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

Guys like MJ, 'Nique, Glide would have been even bigger monsters than they were. Probably have 3-4 higher ppg scoring averages. Props to the guy that mentioned Bernard King. Not many people remember him, but he was as gifted a scorer as anyone to ever play.

10. wekko368

wekko368 Member

KJ was a better finisher than Iverson ever was? So was Tony Parker?

Are you serious?

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lets not forget if Michael Ray didn't smoke the crack rock, he'd rock them all in today's game.
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FgdyWZqTM3U&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FgdyWZqTM3U&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>