1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What we are learning from FIBA games

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by valorita, Sep 6, 2014.

1. valorita

valorita Member

<Harden>
    - Even when he is trying hard on D, he is at best decent, at least at this stage in career. Mostly because of poor principles, lack of awareness and mental lapses. We need him to be flanked by good defenders.

- Offensively, he IS the most complete player on USA roster. I am convinced that his best role is to be the primary play maker and not necessarily the 1v1 isolation go-to guy down the stretch.

<DMo>
    - plays well as high post PF rather than true C. Which is why I and many other people think he is a better fit than Jones with Dwight, even though he is slightly not as good overall game wise.

- Has steadily improved most aspects, especially defensive positioning and passing.

- guard play limiting effectiveness in tourney

<Kostas>
    - glue guy, the next no stats all stat? Lol

- hopefully what we hoped Omri would be from last year

<Llull>
    -meh, not all that impressive. Doesn't move the needle.

<Garcia>
    - might... might have something left in the tank but doubtful

Its been fun watching these guys in offseason.
    Care to share your observations?

2. valorita

valorita Member

Lol fail. Names did not come up for some reason

1) harden
    2) dmo
    3) kostas
    4) llull
    5) garcia

1 person likes this.
  3. JD88

JD88 Member

Coach K disagrees with your assessment of Harden's defense.

4. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I assume OP is talking about DMO. Not 100% sure though.

1 person likes this.
  5. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

so this mysterious player went from being a top offensive talent to a past his prime has been'' who's hoping to make a return but doubtful he ever does? is that supposed to be tmac?

6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

OP's post fixed to prevent confusion

1 person likes this.
  7. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

We are learning that dragic is a little b#%*

8. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Harden is the best playmaker on the US team, putting the alley-oop passing he learned with Dwight to good use here. But not only lobs, he's the one setting up his wing guys for their 3s.

In their last game, he seemed to have found his shooting range, so watch him take more shots from hereon in.

He really needs strong but positive coaching; he has blossomed under Coach K. Seems like that was what he was lacking.

9. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Honestly I never came the conclusion that Harden was ever going to be lock down defender. Kobe certainly wasn't even during his prime, however Kobe still played above average defense. If Harden didn't play defense last year it was because his coach didn't make him accountable. Plain and simple, you can only tell your team mates to do so much but if they choose not to listen to you the Coach ends up with that responsibility.

I'm certainly content with Harden playing average defense, hell above average defense would make our team a lot better than it was last year. No way you can get your other players to get in line to follow the actions of your best player when he chooses to take plays off.

10. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

11. conquistador#11

why is he a little B?
    one of my favorite things about lowry and dragic was that they did pout, throw an accidental elbow when no one was looking and did not back down to mix it up with the gangsta urkels ninja turtles of the league cough westbrook cough.

12. Normalus

Normalus Member

But his tweet about Australia losing game on purpose, yet he flops in his own game and gets reward (not for best actor tho).

13. nobie

nobie Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1k7TsjFFag8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

International basketball is boring thats what i have learned

15. jk103

jk103 Member

I wouldn't draw any long term conclusions from FIBA play. Harden's defense looks marginally better than it did during the season, but he's playing close to half the minutes against vastly inferior competition, while carrying much less of an offensive load. And his defense still doesn't look good, just acceptable. He is also still the offensive force of nature we always knew he was. No news there.

I'm mostly watching to see Anthony Davis at this point. He's been hands down the best player on the team on both ends, and I'm excited to see if he can keep it up against the Gasol bros. If he can play like this against NBA competition our NOP pick isn't looking so hot.

16. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

the irony of being elbowed in the throat (which he flopped) and then choking away a game they had a lead in is justice.

if they were good enough to win then he wouldnt have had to tweet it and be a whiny b*&(*

17. traveler

traveler Member

lol

I already knew he was. Nice that others are finding out the truth on him.

18. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I think your expectations are too high on defense. Overall his defense has been the best on the team from any wing player hands down. If anyone would have said he would be that at the start of fiba no one would have bought it. He player lock down defense today against Mexico. You really can't play better man to man defense than he was playing today.

I think tin should re watch the game he's looked vastly better on that end than last season. Marginally as you put it would be and understatement.

19. Zbed

Zbed Member

When DMo actually gets touches in the post he is effective when he got touches in the summer league he put up some good numbers....very promising in the post.

20. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

He locked down a guy from Mexico! Are there even any NBA players from Mexico? Has there ever been an NBA player from Mexico?

It shouldn't surprise people that James is a good defender against weak competition I mean he was known as a defensive player first in high school.