1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chandler Parsons offended how the Rockets treated him in free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 14, 2014.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL obv I'm very happy about that, we all saw how deadly Harden is as the playmaker/offensive centerpiece of a team, what you want to do is take advantage of that ability by surrounding him with deadly 3 pt shooters and defensive players, jack-of-all-trades with bad defense like Parsons or Lin are wasted because why would you want somebody else to handle the rock and make plays? We already have Dwight as the other main offensive option, you want other guys to provide spacing and defense.

Considering Ariza costs 1/2 what Parsons does as well and he doesn't have back issues, tbh the people who aren't happy with Ariza don't understand how building a team works.

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Dwight is not that good a post player, Portland gave Dwight straight single man coverage whilst Harden was getting more like 1 + 1.5 defense.

3. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

I want to see Dwight get the ball in the post a lot this season because he showed me a lot in the post season last year. I am predicting a comeback player of the year type season for Dwight . . . and hopefully that will equate to at least one playoff series win next year.

4. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

Dwight has a career high ORTG of 113. Why would you use a six game sample size as evidence when we have a decade long career to look at?

Don't answer that. We know why.

5. baubo

baubo Member

Weird random stat you pulled. I don't even know what good is that stat. I mean, fwiw, Tim Duncan's career ORTG is 110. Dwight Howard's career ORTG is 110.

6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Because the playoffs are what matter for a team trying to win a championship. Really? Why are you acting dense? Regular season basketball is not called or played the same way as playoff basketball. If you don't know that by now, give it up.

Robert Horry was one of the most mediocre players the NBA has ever seen, yet he's got how many rings? Yeah… playoff performance is more important than regular season performance.

7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

And James Harden has a higher playoff Orating than Dwight, not that it's a particularly relevant stat.

I'm not sure how you missed the whole "using a 6 game sample" though.

8. RCKTBachar

RCKTBachar Member

Chandler Parson is going to be more offended by the way he is treated when his pretty boy routine comes back to H-town. Ariza and Kostas are going to tag team him and he will be exposed. Ariza+Kostas > Parsons

9. akeemshook

akeemshook Member

Um... no.

10. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Yes or no: tribute video for Parsons on his first visit to Houston? I'd say no!

11. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

For what? It is not like he played his heart out and was all out passion for the Rockets like Luis Scola. He was always a "me' first guy despite what he says.

Parsons last Rocket memory on the court was Lillard draining that long 3 on him to send us home.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

up until he actually signed with dallas, what did he do wrong to houston. nothing

13. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Portlands defense was begging for us to go to Dwight by giving him straight 1 on 1 defense. There defense was focused on stopping Harden and for good reason, he's our best offensive weapon.

The reason is while his box score line looked nice, he was less effective in the playoffs than he was in the regular season. He just got the ball more so the raw numbers went up. Look up his FG%, TS%, eFG%. They were down. An offense centered around Dwight Howard post ups isn't going to be good unless Dwight commits to passing out of the post more often and severely limiting his TOs when he gets it down low.

14. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

Running your offense through a less efficient offensive creator is a bad idea.

15. don grahamleone

Great argument, we should still give what the defense gives us which mean if they are double-teaming Dwight without the ball, someone is open. We still need to focus on Dwights low post offense. Passing the ball out of the post is a huge part of what I mean by low post offense.

Please don't mistake what I'm saying for, Dwight should shoot the ball every time. It's about playing offense around posting up. It's about developing options that work regardless of what the defensive adjustments are. Being unstoppable is how you win a championship. Every championship team ever had that in their bag of tricks.

If I'm McHale's staff, I'm researching every defense played against the low post and finding a solution to it. Then I'm implementing a practice squad with that defense and putting in the solution to the offense.

Go thru the season working out the kinks of that offense and by the time the playoffs start, the team has every if-then scenario built in to where they are not thinking about it. They just react. Then they start looking like the machine that San Antonio was, but with the offense being the low post instead of that crap boring high post-hybrid stuff they do.

#855 don grahamleone, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  16. don grahamleone

The shooting guard is an inferior position to center. Even if you call Harden's number like Kobe got the call over Shaq so many times, the Lakers still based all movement off of what Shaq did in the low post. And they won Championships.

What kind of offense are you proposing? Fast break from 2 seasons ago? Isolation? What offense are you talking about that makes Harden the focus of the offense? Pick and roll?

Pick and roll requires a pick player to be able to hit a jumpshot from 15-19 feet. That is the easiest thing in the world to shut down if Dwight is the guy setting the pick. So seriously, what offense are you trying to think of that eliminates the most weaknesses?

We got rid of 2 inferior creators (Chandler/Lin) and added shooters. Hmmm… I wonder what the offense is going to look like this year? The writing is on the wall, pick and roll is going to be plan B or C.

Explain yourself or read. One sentence like that proves nothing. You think only in pluses when plus/minus contains the more complete answer.

17. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Personally, I'm satisfied with the discounted Ariza. I don't think it will be much of a drop off on offense, and it will be a step up on defense. But let's not get too carried away. We've seen Ariza here before. It was not pretty. It was a different role, a different team, but there is good reason to be cautious here.

I think it will turn out just fine by December they'll have chemistry. Maybe we will add a big piece before Feb, maybe we'll wait until next year. I am not worried about Dwight leaving. He's not going to want to jump around team to team to team searching for a ring. He's not that old yet, and it ruins guys legacies.

11 days till training camp, right?

18. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Really? I haven't looked at the stats, but I find that hard to believe. He seemed to play amazing in the playoffs. His post moves were Hakeem-esque, honestly. It was the best footwork I had ever seen from him.

19. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

don grahamleone speaks the truth. The Rocket do well at NBA Live type roster movement, but the Spurs are the ones playing chess to everyone else's checkers when it comes to game plan.

The "talent solves everything" mentality will only get you so far.

20. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/howardw01.html

FG%
    .591 in the regular season down to .547 in the playoffs. The lowest his FG% has been in any year of his career in the playoffs.

TS%
    .600 down to .581 in the playoffs. 2nd lowest in his career.

eFG%
    .593 down to .547 in the playoffs. Lowest of his career.

Free throw shooting and limiting turnovers is about all he did better. Though I believe the lower turnovers has a lot to do with Portland deciding to not double Howard and just guard him with 1 guy.

He was our best player in the playoffs, but it's not because he elevated his game. Everyone else sucked worse and we took what the defense gave us and went to Howard much more often which elevated his counting stats.