1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ming very impressive indeed but........

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by blazer_ben, Oct 26, 2002.

1. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

lets not forget he was matched on a 6'9 nobody......having said that, i think from what i saw against the sixers, this kid will have far bigger impact then at first thought by everyone in genrall. i wish yao ming, the best of luck, especially against the big mouth shaq, heres hoping ming can atleast get shaq to eat humbel pie:) :D ;)

2. coke

coke Member

welcome to BBS

3. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Nobody can stop Shaq ! Yao will need at least two seasons! You are expecting too much from Yao Ming! I am a leading Yao Ming Fan I realise it will take time.

4. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

I hate how people only way of criticizing Yao is by saying that Shaq will crush him. Shaq can crush anyone. We only play the Lakers 4 times this year, so we should worry more about the other 78 games!

5. Spacer23

Spacer23 Member

The ref's could if they called the game properly but that's too much to hope for.

6. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

He will never be able to guard Shaq. But Shaq might not be able to guard Ming in a few years. :D (I am 500 away from 2000!)

7. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

ming can trouble shaq, if he plays the game at he's pace. ming has range, and can also be pretty effective off the dribble,. shaq struggles against players who have those kind of attributes. ming can draw him out of the paint and fake him time and time again, i really think this kid will trouble shaq immensly, will he stop shaq? NO, but he can limit him somewhat.:) ;)

8. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

dude i've been here for a while now, but i just dont post much... thanks for the welcome though

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I bet he will do better then K Cato though:p

10. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

I have never seen Shaq guard ANYONE away from the basket, so Yao Ming could present a problem,,Now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

What do u guys think Oneal will treat Ming like when they play. Ive seen him quoted as saying hes going to say hello american style or some crap like that.

I guess the question is do you guys think he will be dirty just play extra hard or what.

I think Shaq is less mad about Yao Ming being really good or replacing him one day as the best center, but more angry about how much attention he is getting.

I can see it now Shaq throws an elbow and knocks the hell out of Ming and Moochie flys into the picture with a karate chop to Shaqs face.

12. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

There seems to be a natural resentment towards Yao Ming by some players and sports writers. Like he is invading their turf,,or something like that!!! But in every case,,,so far..... when he competes against anyone,,he gains thier respect !!!!!!!

13. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

agreed... shaqs domaine has allways been been under the bucket, but if you can draw him out he'll struggle somewhat and i STRESS the term somewhat. ming can also take him off the dribble, because it seems to me ming, is a pretty good ball handler. i also think the myth about mings, supposed weak upper body is overrated. from what i saw he's a pretty big boy, sure he's a tad raw, but he's only 20 and i can tell you he's a massive boy for a big boy for a 20 year old.he's going to be AWESOM once he learns the rockets plays.

14. NestT

NestT Member

If you have never seen Shaq gaurd centers well out of the paint then you have only been watching the NBA for one year. He could not go outside because of his toe. This year he should be gould to go be December. If you watched the Lakers in the WCF against Spurs in 2001 he would from time to time switch on to Duncan.

As far as calls go for every charge they don't call against Shaq there is at least one hack on Shaq's arms or head the refs don't call. Losers always complain about the refs.

15. Rochut

Rochut Member

YM could pose some interesting problems for the Lakers. Shaq still got his, but Rik Smits (back in the day) was a pretty tough cover for him. I expect similar things from Yao, IF ONLY YM can limit those pesky fouls.

16. cujo

cujo Member

Being that big makes him easily targeted for a foul. I hope the refs can adjust to him;)

17. Rochut

Rochut Member

that would be nice, but it might be asking too much to expect in his rookie campaign. Let's start the season already!!

18. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

Actually, I've always thought that Cato has played some of his best games against Shaq. Maybe it's just my memory playing tricks on me, but Cato has blocked Shaq several times, and not from the weak-side but straight up.

19. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

You are right. Cato definitely gives Shaq a run for his money. That just makes me scratch my head a little more. If only he played other centers like that....

20. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

Actually Ive been watching Shaq play since he was at S.A. Cole H.S. playing against one of my nephews. Im so sorry about the BIG TOE........I thought the problem was his BIG FAT ASS!!!!!!