1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who Gets Cut?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Moonscope, Oct 9, 2014.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yes, Canaan can score against Dleaguers and 3rd stringers, marginally against end 2nd stringers at best

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Please tell me one NBA GM that has waived or given away a player taken in the first round in October of their rookie year?

Even 2nd round picks are rarely waived or moved for nothing. The last rookie 2nd rounder(50th pick) I recall getting waived in October was Terrell Bell in 1996.

Its not going to happen dude. Morey would probably rather give a kidney than to do something like that.

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Adrien is better than Black. Book it.

McHale hasn't given Adrien enough burn and perhaps he is injured but this guy has picked up double doubles in the league through pure hustle and toughness.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah Adrien doubters did forget his 11 rebounds output in limited minutes his first year here.

5. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Not only that, even when they are both equal.

Black's current contract is a summer league/training camp contract and I believe for the Rockets to cut him even he will be hurt (becoming fully guaranteed), he will only get paid around 6K.

And cutting Adrien will cost about 1 mil.

Advantage Adrien.

6. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

I kind of feel like both Ish and Canaan will stick with the team as of now UNLESS there will be a trade. If one month down the road and both will be terrible, and somehow Morey strikeout on the major PG target such as : Rondo, Rubio and Reggie Jackson (yes I believe Morey has a slim chance here). He will look for a vet PG to fill the hole and just waive one of Canaan/Ish. And I believe Will Bynum could be one of the targets.

That means, Garcia and Black are the 2 guys most likely will be gone as of now.

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Ish is easy to root for, but the guy really doesn't do anything well. He's not worth a roster spot imo. Canaan's ultimate potential imo is the be a bench guy that can put up a bunch of points fast. That is ultimately more valuable on this team with so many players who are unable to create their own show. He's the perfect contract to Bev if he can play adequately

8. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I feel like I'm in for disappointment with these cuts, because even if it goes partially how I'd like it, it won't go all the way, and losing just one of Garcia, Adrien, and Canaan would pain me. Plus I'm extremely torn on Black's ridiculous foul count and easy-to-cut contract versus his hustle and toughness.

Usually there's a tough cut but this time at least two cuts will be very painful. We have three or four great 12th men and still no great 8th men.

9. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Last night McHale tested the lineup of Harden + Terry for quite a few times, can't say it works very efficiently but at least not a total disaster.

Seeing that could be an option on the usage of Terry will be increasing, it makes Garcia a more obvious choice and it also could cut into the already limited minutes of Ish/Canaan in the backup role.

Sure, you should never rely on a 37 years old Terry but as I said earlier, backup PG and vet PG is very easy (and cheap) to find in this league at the current stage and I am sure Morey will have lots of plan BCDEFG in case both Ish and Canaan will suck. I won't lose any sleep if either one of them will be let go.

10. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Cut the coach.

1 person likes this.
  11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Anything with Harden at Pg is going to fail. Fyi

12. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

When Lin was playing with Harden last year together at the floor, Lin was mostly the SG and Harden being the PG.

13. basketballholic

A major point guard trade most likely includes at least one of (and possibly both) Bev and Canaan going out.

14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

ish has 2 other guys who can do his job better (terry/canaan). he's out.

garcia has been replaced both on the court and in the locker room by terry and ariza. he's out.

opening night depth chart:
    dwight-black-dorsey-capela(NBDL)
    tj-dmo-adrien
    ariza-papa
    harden-daniels-johnson(NBDL)
    beverley-terry-canaan

15. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I can agree with this....

T_Man

16. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I don't understand how or why you say that since that's was his position at OKC.

T_Man

17. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Adrien is legit. You need those guys to go in there and bang on people and get boards, energy ..steals etc.

18. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

if canaan can be vinny Johnson eventually, then id be happy

19. Purvis2Short

Purvis2Short Member

This is based on not knowing contract situations but in my opinion
    Cut Dorsey, he is painful to watch and just plain uninspired
    Cut or trade Terrence Jones sucks and game did not improve over the summer
    Garcia should be cut.

Powell needs to go and only on the roster because he is friends with Dwight
    Canaan over Ish Smith easily. Ish cannot shoot to save his life.

I hope we keep Black and Adrien although both terribly undersized and will get abused on the defensive end by taller centers and power forwards.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Whoo, easy there. Cut Terrence the asset?

Top Performers
    Houston: T. Jones 9 Pts, 8 Reb, 2 Ast, 2 Stl, 4 Blk
    Orlando: N. Vucevic 12 Pts, 6 Reb, 1 Stl, 2 Blk

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400584013

With that said Ish is 99% gone and it looks the other one will be Dorsey or a surprise.

Black, Adrien are really doing well when they are not injured.
    Canaan had some good moments although I still do not like his game.
    Garcia - top cheerleader