1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Prediction] Dwight will make 68% of his free throws

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Sep 25, 2014.

Tags:
  1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Two suggestions I would make... (1) remove the ridiculous shoulder flex when he first gets in position. While it is supposed to get him to relax, it also reinforces the thought he is very muscular and that is one of his biggest problems. As soon a you start thinking of an issue, it gets reinforced. (2) speed up the shot, from the time he gets to the line to the point he shoots. Poor shooters take way too long... start over thinking and over stressing about the shot. Muscles sag, muscles tighten, and you start thinking about missing. Step up, line up, visualize the shot going in, and shoot.

2. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

He is still pulling the string in his shot. That makes keeping a consistent form more difficult.

3. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

60% would be an awesome step forward for dwight

4. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Your form can be **** and still end up making a good amount of shots. Marion looks like he has some sort of mental disorder when he shoots and he still makes 80%. I'm sure Dwight's worked with tons of shooting coaches, heard every type of advice, done different types of drills, but like he said himself, it's mental. The numbers show that he knows what he needs to do to make free throws when he's practicing outside of a game, but he falls apart during actual games.

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Muscle memory doesn't help much when fatigue is either dragging your energy down, or adrenaline is pumping your energy up. In essence the way you shoot your free throw has to change every game/day by day basis.

If Dwight took the time to shoot free throws before games, I imagine he'd be a way better free throw shooter.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I would argue the opposite..muscle memory is what kicks in when you're tired and there's no time to make a conscious decision.

7. gambingo

gambingo Member

perhaps the problem is he has too much muscle lmao

8. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

One more made free throw would have put him at 68% for the pre season.;)

C'mooooon, Dwight!

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Dwight Howard making free throws is becoming a thing. He has made 20-24 (83.3%) over the last 5 games.</p>&mdash; ClutchFans (@clutchfans) <a href="https://twitter.com/clutchfans/status/557311377837023232">January 19, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Just 40 more games Dwight!
    [​IMG]

11. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

It seems to me he has sped up his release and it's really helping. I couldn't watch the game today but saw he went 6/12. I guess he reverted back somewhat.

12. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

I think you nailed it.

13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

JUST 40 more games?!

dudes got 2 and a half years left on his contract!

1 person likes this.
  14. scv_rockets

scv_rockets Member

He means the season. The rockets have played 42 games so far