1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Direct TV and ATT buy CSN Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dvr4me, Aug 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nero

Nero Member

Dish Network has openly stated that they are not interested in buying yet another RSN at any price point. They are still paying for FSSW, and they don't want to have to raise prices or eat costs, so they are just going to focus on the majority of customers who simply don't care about local pro sports, rather than the minority who do.

At least that is the public stance they have taken.

Could very well pick it up at some point regardless, especially if they start to see a large enough percentage of customers leaving because of it.. but as it stands now, they have pretty much said they don't want it and don't intend to get it.

2. bmd

bmd Member

But that was a while ago when CSN was charging a ridiculous fee... wasn't it?

3. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Yea im sure this is the first step for Dish. Once it is finalized with DTV and ATT, im sure there will be agreements to follow shortly.

4. Harden's beard

any chance at all y'all think time warner will pick up this channel for the astros? (I'm in san antonio) I'll gladly drop 15 bucks a month to watch my rockets play with worrel calling the game

5. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I can't answer the Astros part, but if you're in San Antonio and want to watch the Rockets, you can. You're not subject to black-out rules. You can buy nba league pass and watch them that way and just choose the rockets announcers.

Or you can buy ballstreams, it's cheaper than 15 a month if you get a certain package

6. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Today is the day.

7. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Got moved to 10am on Wed

8. Do WHAT?

Do WHAT? Member

"@dfbarron: This just in: Due to witnesses being out of pocket, next CSN Houston hearing will be moved from 9 a.m. Tuesday to 10 a.m. Wednesday."

9. RocketsRed777

RocketsRed777 Member

I don't feel sorry for people who now say I have (Time Warner) (Dish) (Sudden Link) or any other cable/satellite provider. GET DIRECTV!!! WAKE UP!!! It a Satellite. You can have it anywhere in the U.S. that has a southern view of the sky and a electricity outlet. People who keep saying I have so and so cable/satellite company and I'm pissed I cant watch the games, need to wake up and do something about it. Either that or watching Rockets games just aren't a priority in their lives. When this deal goes through, there are no excuses for people not to watch the games. Also, if you are out of market then just get NBA league pass, it's pretty simple. Hell, I got Comcast for 6 months the past two years (With having Directv service) just to watch the games. Bottom line is if you're a true "die-hard" fan you will do what you have to do to watch the games. If not, well I guess you just don't care that much. If you are unsure about anything with the Rockets just call Directv and get service, BAM, you can watch the Rockets games. If you live in an apartment that already has another provider well then I guess you better get yourself a good internet signal and sign up for ballstreams.

10. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Not everyone's situation is the same, but ultimately I agree with nowadays, you have options even if you don't have CSN Houston or Root Sports in a few weeks.

For the past two years, I've had DirecTV service in Houston and I just used NBA League pass via VPN, hooked up to my laptop via HDMI, and watched every game in HD. If a game was nationally televised, well my DirecTV would have the game. I only ran into issues with NBATV games.

Now, I don't even have cable at my new place but ballstreams has been amazing. It's available on PS4, PS3, PC, iOS devices, Mac, etc.

Personally, I've been getting by with OTA HD service (all texans games), Hulu Plus (1 year subscription for $25 on ebay), Netflix, Vudu (thanks dave2000 for that collection), and Amazon Prime Video ($1 credit every time you choose no rush shipping)

#murica

11. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

shhhh, don't tell them my secrets.... lol

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Actually Amazon killed the $1 video credit for no rush shipping.

Now it's $1 towards Kindle books.

13. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

nice nice, hoping for good news.
    otherwise tomorrow its going down

[​IMG]

#413 ron413, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Just got off the phone with DirecTV to cancel my subscription to NBA League Pass. Unfortunately, they didn't really know anything about the new Root Sports Network for the Houston area. But, I already get the sports programming package so I should get it automatically when it comes available.

I guess there's a chance it doesn't become available in which case I can either go without Rockets games (or watch the few regular season games shown on TV) or use other options. I just don't want to pay $200 only to watch the Rockets when this RSN Houston channel seems like it is happening. My understanding is once they start billing you for NBA League Pass installments at the end of this month...you are locked into payments for the entire season even if you want cancel. Normal payments are $39.95 for 5 payments. They offered me $33.95 to stay on. Not gonna do it.

15. bmd

bmd Member

You should get Root Sports without even having a sports package. It should be available to everybody who is in the Houston area.

A sports package usually gets you out-of-market RSNs and other sports channels like Tennis TV, Horse Racing TV, Big 10 Network, Pac 12 Network, etc.

But your local RSN is included without an extra sports package.

16. wgray

wgray Member

god i want this to end so bad

17. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I'm not in Houston but in D/FW.

18. bmd

bmd Member

Then all other games will be blacked out for you except for Mavs games unless you have League Pass.

I have a sports package where I get all of the other RSNs... except I can't watch those teams when they play on those channels because I'm "out of area".

19. NotChandlerParsons

lol, Dish doesn't even have CNN/Cartoon fricking Network now. I think I'm just going to cancel TV as long as ballstreams continues to exist.

20. rocketsmetalspd

The RGV is considered Regional to H-Town because of the RGV Vipers affilation with the Rockets. Yea!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.