1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Deadline Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FLAGRANT1, Feb 6, 2004.

1. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Febuary 19th, two weeks away. I am not anticipating anything major but it is amazing how inevitably every year something gets done and people don't realize how great the deal is until the smoke clears. Here is my little under the radar deal that works capwise but probably will only get 30 seconds of time on SportsCenter:

Utah trades Jarron Collins (to Chicago)
    Mo Williams (to Houston)

Chicago trades Marcus Fizer (to Utah)
    Tyson Chandler (to Houston)

Houston trades Eric Piatkowski (to Utah)
    Kelvin Cato (to Chicago)

In turn the lineup from Utah will add a pure ooutside shooter who flourish in their system and a forward who can move AK to his natural position.

Chicago benefits by receiving two hardworking 7 footers which Scott Skiles will happily play over underachieving Curry. Also, Paxson continues to erase the aquisitions of Gelatinous Krause.
    (Chandler, Rose, Jay Williams, Eddie Robinson, Fizer) Curry is the only remaining piece.

Houston gets a quicker, better shooting (sorry Wilks) backup point who can finish at the cup(sorry Steve). We also get Kevin Garnett without the offensive game in Chandler. After all JVG only wants a defensive-minded rebounding forward who can hit an open jumper when passed the ball. Steve can always work on his pantented alleyoop with him in practice.practice

Yeah Utah is better but they can't fu($ with us......

1-Francis, Jackson, Williams
    2-Cat, Boki
    3-JJ,Griffin
    4-Chandler,MoT
    5-Yao,Padgett

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

FLAGRANT1 - It's certainly well done on the research front, but the flaw is that Chicago gives up way too much. I don't see why they would move Chandler (and Fizer for that matter) for so little... unless they know his back problems are really serious. I could be undervaluing Cato here, but I think anyone would much rather take their chances with Chandler who is only 21, also 7-feet tall and already grabbing 9 boards a game in just 25 minutes of action.

3. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

I would work under the assumption that Tyson Chandler is traded the day before Yao Ming is traded.

In other words, IMHO all the logic in the world will not pry Chandler away from Chicago until (IF) they determine that he is a bust and he leaves the way of Joe Smith, and others who did not live up to expectations. The kid is way too young to make that determination. One caveat: Paxson/Skiles have forgotten more today about basketball skills assessment than I will likely ever know.

4. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

I understand and appreciate your argument Clutch but this is what they do. All they do is make bad trades. They have already given up to much this season when, in essence, they traded Rose for Davis. So, if they are trying to win sooner than later, it is obvious the baby bulls aren't cuttin' it. They cannot win with Curry starting and Chandler is not tough enough to challenge Davis and his 11 million dollar contract for playing time. Let's also be honest about Fizer, he was a wasted lottery pick who doesn't fill a need on their roster. I'll bet they're more fed up with the word 'POTENTIAL' in Chicago than we are in Houston.

5. Charvo

Charvo Member

Look at Kurt Thomas. He might be in a Rockets uniform before the deadline. Isiah Thomas is looking for a low post scorer. Kurt Thomas is a jumpshooting power forward who can defend and rebound. There might be a swap of players with Mo going to the Knicks and Kurt Thomas (Van Gundy-type guy) to the Rockets.

6. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Hmmm, I do like the Mo Williams idea. I've seen him play plenty of times here at UA, but he should have stayed another year. Rough, but a hard working player.

7. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I agree with Clutch's take.

I don't see why Chicago would give up Chandler and Fizer just for Cato + throw in.

Pointing out one bad trade doesn't necessarily mean they are apt to do one again. Besides, some of the reasoning is off. If Curry is sucking, and Chandler cant beat out AD for pf, they'd simply bench Curry and play AD and center.

8. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

The Bulls have done some stupid trades recently. They gave up two current all-star level players in Artest and B. Miller. In return, they got Rose who they later traded for the ridiculous contract of AD.
    They may be stupid enough to trade Chandler for "experienced" Cato.

9. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

However, Chandler was Krause's project, so it wouldn't be egg on Paxson's face if they give up on him.

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

AI accusses team mates of having no heart they respond by beating the Lakers with AI leading by example,

JVG accusses Rox of having no heart they complain continue to lose immediately and Francis is suspended for messing about his priorities.

AI for Steve

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

chandler and yao would get pushed around. yao needs someone who can be tough next to him like cato, spoon, and mo.

12. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Not a good trade when the justification is Team X has done stupid trades before. Chandler's not untouchable now, but they're not going to give him up for much less than we may be willing to give up Francis for.