1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D'Angelo Russell -- is he the Lefty PG We Seek?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by i3artow i3aller, Dec 27, 2014.

1. i3artow i3aller

Not usually one for comparisons, but something about this kid screams Brandon Roy. D'Angelo is not a genetic freak by any means, but his size (6'5), basketball savvy and polished game make him a matchup nightmare out on the court. The kid has very good shooting %'s and is currently averaging 17.2 pts 4.6 rebs 5.5 asts with 1.8 stls for Ohio St as a freshman. Obviously Dragic is the play, but I'm intrigued by Russell's versatile game especially if we keep that Pelicans pick. Doesn't hurt that he LOVES the 3-ball.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/players/126278/

[​IMG]

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qRxDk7rTw-k?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    [​IMG][​IMG]

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HD-U7x-d0T0?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_Jjubspd1Do?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2 people like this.
  2. CertifiedTroll

He is more of a combo guard, but that being said.. I would take him followed by James Blackmon Jr in a heartbeat with the NOP pick.

But DAngelo really can ball.

3. CertifiedTroll

And on the subject I started of Russell vs Blackmon Jr.. They have almost identical stats, they are both same age and similar height, but Blackmon is a tiny bit more efficient. The only difference I see is Russell is a lefty. Yet Blackmon isnt on any draft big boards I have seen. If he is a second round pick I will need a change of pants.

4. basketballholic

Brandon Roy? Bring it closer to home. He's got a lot of Harden in his game.

5. CertifiedTroll

Since I am using this thread as my own thread to peddle along James Blackmon Jr, I will leave some more content:
    http://www.sbnation.com/college-bas...s-blackmon-yogi-ferrell-troy-williams-big-ten

6. orosiriley

orosiriley Member

D'Russell or Tyrus Jones?

Russell won't be on the board when the Rockets draft, but I would trade up to get him if possible. Maybe a true point guard, like Tyrus Jones, will still be available when the Rockets draft.

7. Shaud

Shaud Member

Russell made once of the nicest passes I have seen in a long time. today.

1 person likes this.
  8. i3artow i3aller

^

[​IMG]
    <iframe class="vine-embed" src="https://vine.co/v/Ojr5rwWAli3/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script async src="//platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1 person likes this.
  9. CertifiedTroll

Wish we could draft him, but no way he is on the board.

10. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

he could be our ginobili off the bench

11. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

He is shooting over 45% (58-128) from three-point range this year, and that's on high volume, taking 6-7 threes a game. Almost looks like he shoots a set shot, but it's smooth.

[youtube]y7ai5CHnJko[/youtube]

[youtube]pvFG4OKbYdc[/youtube]

Yes. Trade-up candidate if they keep the NOP pick, in my opinion.

1 person likes this.
  12. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

That's going to be one expensive trade up

13. i3artow i3aller

[​IMG] D'angelo is the dream draft pick for the Houston Rockets imo
    <iframe class="vine-embed" src="https://vine.co/v/OIDpttqw7bO/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script async src="//platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    [​IMG] D'angelo Russell aka The Shot Doctor breaking ankles on the perimeter :eek:
    <iframe class="vine-embed" src="https://vine.co/v/OID2XPdYr1V/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script async src="//platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    [​IMG]

14. Shaud

Shaud Member

This guy is a stud, Thad Matta is going to run him down the drain though. He cramped up today.

15. i3artow i3aller

[​IMG]
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Z8nqVtfJdiI?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    [​IMG]

16. i3artow i3aller

Would love to watch D-Lo passing to D-Mo for years to come!
    <iframe class="vine-embed" src="https://vine.co/v/OIDjZtqhvzl/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script async src="//platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. CertifiedTroll

As previously stated. He will be top 10 if not top 5 pick. He will not be on the board for us. Unless we trade up. We could have Harden and his successor playing the 1 and 2. That would be tight, hopefully he can grow a beard if we draft him.

18. i3artow i3aller

:rolleyes:

D-Lo wasn't listed as lottery pick when I started the thread (although it's possible Chad Ford had him top 10).

"I have spread my dreams under your feet. Tread softly because you tread on my dreams." ~ W.B. Yeats

19. GameShark

GameShark New Member

If we can't get Russell or Blackmon, do we still go for a guard? Because I really like Cameron Ridley, has great size, can block shots, rebound, but I haven't seen a lot of post-ups from him. Which doesn't bother me because we have McHale & Hakeem here to work with him for the NBA level; even though he looks like he can be more of a Shaq type player. As long he can just rebound, defend, play the pick and roll and finish lobs I'd be fine with that. Especially since we have D-MO becoming the best post player in the game today.

20. i3artow i3aller

Russell is draft's most skilled player

Ohio State's D'Angelo Russell is the most skilled player in June's NBA draft.

Barring an injury, the No. 1 pick has been established. It will be Duke big man Jahlil Okafor. Look for Russell (who turns 19 on Feb. 23) to make a strong case to be selected next.

At 6-foot-5 and armed with a 6-9 wingspan, Russell has a unique ability to control a college basketball game with his scoring, passing, basketball intelligence and leadership. But most impressive is that he already possesses the poise and countenance of a 10-year NBA veteran.

Virtually everything the left-handed Russell has accomplished for Ohio State this season has been done with great efficiency. In fact, he makes spectacular plays look simple, and simple plays, from a coach's perspective, look spectacular.

Let's start with his passing. Although Russell is the leading freshman scorer in the country at 19.4 points per game, it is his incredible vision and confidence to throw passes into tight spots that impress me the most, and he is averaging 5.2 assists a contest.

Great passers find teammates who often don't even realize that they are open. A perfect example of this creativity is this one-hand bounce pass against Northwestern. Watch how Russell waits for Sam Thompson to clear the screen before delivering this perfect pass with great wrist strength. To me, this is the "pass of the year" in college basketball.

[​IMG]

This full-court bounce pass to Thompson at home versus Michigan is another example of Russell's vision and passing touch. It's a perfect example of making a spectacular play look routine.

[​IMG]

As Hall of Fame coach Pete Carril used to say: "The quality of your shots is directly related to the quality of your passes." Russell exemplifies this trait.

In addition to his passing, Russell is a prolific scorer and an outstanding shooter with NBA range. He has what I call an effortless shooting stroke with great economy of movement. More than halfway through the Buckeyes' season, he is shooting 44.6 percent from the 3-point line.

But most impressive is his accuracy from behind the arc on the move in the open court. He has been just as accurate in transition as he has been in the half court. In fact, he is shooting 46 percent in fast-break situations.

On nearly back-to-back possessions versus Maryland, Russell's ability to stop and pop off the dribble demonstrates a difficult shot to master for a young player. But as you see below, he makes it look easy.

[​IMG]

Russell uses his dribble in the half court to create the separation needed to get his jump shot. Here, down the stretch against Northwestern, he drives left, gets the Wildcats' defender to fall down and then raises up to hit a clutch jump shot.

[​IMG]

He is not a "one-armed bandit," but his tendency as a young player is to drive right to a pull-up jump shot or drive to his strong side to get to the rim or shoot his pull-up jump shot as well. But he is further along in the development of his weak hand than most NBA prospects at his age.

Needless to say, in easier to perfect catch-and-shoot situations from behind the 3-point line, Russell is just as accurate.

If there are areas of concern for Russell's long-term future, one is major and the other is minor, in my opinion.

First, his athleticism is not at an elite NBA level -- and may never be. Some NBA teams may be scared off by that. Russell is a tall and rangy guard, but he will need to find a way to defend the dynamic athletes in NBA backcourts. Staying in front of quick point guards and guarding big, physical shooting guards will be his greatest challenge early in his career.

Fortunately, his youth comes with the likely potential of physical long-term development. Time is on his side.

Here is an example of some components of Russell's athletic ability. After the anticipation of stealing this pass versus Michigan on the baseline, he is able to weave his way through the defense and finish at the other end of the court. It's certainly not Russell Westbrook-esque, but good enough in my opinion.

[​IMG]

The other interesting, but minor, area of concern for Russell is not necessarily his fault. Ohio State is not a heavy screen-and-roll team and has put the ball in Russell's hands in ball screens on only 18.6 percent of his possessions. Compare that with a number of the better college point guards in the country, and you'll see that figure is low. Four of the six players on the following list are coached by former NBA players or coaches, so they are well versed in screen-and-roll basketball.

[​IMG]

Screen-and-roll basketball is about creating indecision at the point of a ball screen and then putting stress on the entire defense. Russell, as a freshman, does not yet have the repetitions in the screen-and-roll game to have mastered its nuances. But given his passing, ballhandling, basketball acumen, size and shooting ability, the indication is that he will be very good in this area.

When I watched Ohio State practice in late December, I was struck by Russell's maturity and by the way he directed the practice as a player. He was in complete control without the need to show he was. That leadership style, given his basketball talent and age, is an intangible that is hard to master.

Russell is a star shooting through college. He likely is off to the NBA after this season, in part because his production has already surpassed his promise.

Breakdown from Fran:

2 people like this.