1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Is running every day good or bad for you?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CountyClerk, May 19, 2009.

1. CountyClerk

CountyClerk Member

Hey guys, now that the rockets' season is over I've decided to get off the couch and start getting into shape again. I've been running for 40 mins on the treadmill everyday for about a week now, is that good for bad if i want to lose some fat on the belly and build some muscle? I've heard from several people that the body need time to rest in between each workout session does that apply to running? If the answer is yes then how long do I have to rest the body before running again?

2. CountyClerk

CountyClerk Member

I meant to say "or"

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Running on the treadmill is alot easier than running on the streets, but I still wouldn't run everyday. Maybe every other day. Do some other type of cardio if you can like the elliptical machine which is less strenuous on the knees.

4. newplayer

newplayer Member

If your goal is to lose weight, then running 40 mins on the treadmill is excellent!

I've been running 6k (which takes me less than half an hour) 6 days a week for 5 months, and I've lost 10 kilograms. I'm much fitter than I was 5 months ago and I have far more energy. However, some girls told me that I looked a bit too thin ... :(

However, as I also do weights to build muscles, all my personal trainers have told me that running is bad for muscle building, because when you run, the body will try to lose weight to make it easier. Also, dehydration also will make you lose muscle. As a result, my muscles are more toned than 5 months ago, but haven't increased much in mass. On the other hand, I've also been told that I'm not eating enough protein, even though I now eat far more than I did 5 months ago.

It's actually a very good idea to rest a day each week. In the first 4 months, I ran everyday, but because I play about 8 hrs of badminton on weekends, my Monday morning runs were always very slow. That's why I don't run on Monday anymore. All the training manuals for runners I've read also suggest that one should take 1 day off from running to rest, and this is also in agreement from my personal trainers. So, yes, rest 1 day a week is a good idea.

Good luck!

5. newplayer

newplayer Member

I think it depends on what you are used to.

5 years ago, I started running on the treadmill, then switched to road, and felt it was much harder.

However, now I run on road (concrete pavement actually) everyday, I find it much harder to run on the treadmill.

But, running on treadmill or the cross trainers are much much better for your knees.

If running is not good enough for you, try some boxing, I felt more exhausted after doing 5 minutes of continuous boxing than I do after running 6k.

6. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Running everyday is fine if you are in it for the cardiovascular exercise and increase endurance. But if your goal is to increase your speed or to run competitively, then everyday isnt optimal. This is because when run training you should be pushing yourself to a limit either in speed or distance, and recovery is necessary when trying to progress like that.

I'd also vote to run outside. For a few reasons,
    -most realistic so you're in your most natural running form
    -enjoy the outdoors. Outdoor air (not on main roads) feels better than stale gym air.
    -MEMORIAL PARK in the afternoon. Its cool seeing so many other fitness minded people. And being a young male, my eyes wander sometimes. YOWZA
    -local running clubs. social running is enjoyable, and they usually do group runs as well as participate in the charity events that are good experiences

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Running for weight loss is a bad idea IMHO. First off if you want to lose weight than you are running with a heavier weight than your frame can most likely handle. Which is bad for your knees and feet. I think it is better to get a bike, swim or walk.

Walking can be very effective for weight loss. Weight loss is all about kcal burning and getting those burned with the least amount of damage is ideal.

Try walking everyday on the treadmill. Much better for you than running, and you can easily do it everyday, but running would be hard to maintain that. If that is boring to you, run twice a week and then walk the rest of the days. Or get a bike or swim.

Mix in weights at anytime.

8. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Running long distance isn't the most efficient manner of losing weight from my personal experience. It'll make you tone and trim over time, but when the body exerts energy over a longer time and medium effort, it becomes way more efficient at burning energy than shorter, faster efforts. I.e. sprinting burns more calories per unit time than long distance running.

The physiological reason is that fast-twitch fibers use way more energy than slow-twitch; marathon runners' bodies are incredibly efficient at using energy.

So my suggestion, if you have a decent cardiovascular base built up, would be to do interval training on a treadmill/track/exercise bike. Like 90secs sprinting, 90 seconds rest, for 4 continuous cycles. The amount of effort you'll expend on that first workout will make you think you ran long distance for over an hour, but the workout will only have been 6 minutes.

9. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

short answer: way too much cardio for muscle growth.

10. Rock3t Man

Rock3t Man Contributing Member

I run every single day, between 2 to 3 miles, no more than 30 min on the treadmill, I have lost weight. I weighed 165 now I weigh 154. I normally start in February. My routine consists of Mon - Sun - arrive at the gym around 6:30, run for 30 min (whichever speed I feel most comfortable with) then do 3 repetitions of situps (30 situps), then move to the upper part of my body to rest the lower. I work on my Back and Biceps, and then triceps. Last I work my quads and calfs. After that routine is over, its up for grabs, I do whatever I feel like doing, for instance... playing basketball, swimming, more weights, stationary bike, or floor exercises.

Basically to answer your question, I have been doing this for 4 months and havent seen a problem. If anything it makes me feel much better. You have to be consistent and diet well. You can't expect to eat a bunch of crap and run 2 miles/day.

One thing I have noticed that help me keep endurance when running is eating 2 boiled eggs, without the hard-boiled yolk, much more fat, and consume some protein for the muscle gaining process. My personal goals are being met quick, I am starting to gain weight, but that is because I am lifting more and after two weeks of lifting a certain amount of weights I step it up to another level.

11. newplayer

newplayer Member

^^ I also used to run before lifting weights, but my personal trainer told me that in order to increase muscle mass, it's important that I do the weights before my run, so that I will not be tired when I do the weight lifting.

12. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

It's more effective to run in the morning on an empty stomach and then go back in the evening making sure to eat protein either before or after and then lift weights in order to gain muscle. If you lift right after you run you burn both fat and muscle. Running alone will not get rid of your midsection. You need to cut your carbs and do cardio every day. Eat more often in less quantities too. It's tough work and we all have lives so I just gave up. I just run a lot and eat whatever I want to maintain my weight. I think soon I'll start on this weight loss diet.

Anyways, it's not harmful to run every day. I've been doing it for two years and I feel great.

13. Rock3t Man

Personal Trainer? As in he went to school and has dedicated himself to fitness and health... I am a bit skeptical when it comes to PT's

Anyway, I don't see how running would alter your ability to lift wieghts, after running I am very tired but I have never had a problem lifting weights, if anything it allows me to get warmed up. To my understanding, before lifting weights or doing any rigorous muscle exercises, one must get a good cardio workout.

Link

14. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

After a 20 year lay off from running cross country, I started building up to do distance running again last month. Two Sundays ago I started with quick walking a mile, running 3 miles, and walking the last mile to cool down. I got in the car to go home and the head of my tibia on the inside of my left leg started hurting. I got a patellar band to give me some additional spring, got some new shoes with a lot of cushioning, iced the area, and took a few days off. Last Sunday, I started with a .75 mile walk and then ran a 1.25 circuit at the park. By the end my leg was hurting so much I could hardly walk. The head of the tibia is tender to the touch and it hurts to put a lot of weight on it.

I talked to my sister who is a Physical Therapist. She said to get an MRI. Talked to my friend who is a chiropractor. Get an MRI. Read the Runner's World forum. They said the symptoms are probably NOT ITBS. Get an MRI.

Guess I need to make an appointment to see a knee guy.

This is unfortunate because I really enjoy running. I drive home from work thinking about the run and the mix of accomplishment and exhaustion that I will feel when it is over. If they tell I can't run anymore I am going to be pissed. :mad:

15. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

When I started losing weight, I used walking and an exercise bike. I walked 2 miles a day, and rode the bike 30 minutes a day. I also greatly reduced my calorie intake to about 1700-1900 a day.

I lost 25 lbs. in about 6 weeks.

Now, to lose additional weight, I have started running, but I only run 2-3 days a week while still walking/biking on the other days.

16. Rock3t Man

1700-1900 a day.

Really? At most I consume 1000 calories

17. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Enjoy losing your muscle mass...

18. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I'm no expert on any of this, but with the amount you exercise you especially should probably up that to at least 1500 calories a day (unless you want to turn into a stick figure). There's definitely no way you can build any muscle like that.

19. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

damn, you must be freakin small.

Anyways, Ive lost 55 pounds in a stretch of 5 months. I run around 15-20 miles a week, eat right, and Im doing p90x. I dont think its true that running messes up your muscle mass because I am deff more toned up and I got a 2 pack so far. :D

20. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i wouldnt run everyday. Your body does need rest. More importantly, mix up your workouts. Dont only run. Do some bike, eliptical, basketball, etc...mix up cardio. Also, mix up how you run. Try interval running (e.g. 1/4 mile fast then 1/4 light jog for a total of 4 miles or so)