1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

why are we out of the running?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Merlin, Jul 3, 2001.

1. Merlin

Merlin Member

just because we got eddie griffin doesn't mean we're out of the running for the chris webber sweepstakesp-- sources have been saying we're out of the running, how so?

------------------

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Because the Rockets would like to add depth and role players to the team instead of a 4th star. Teams loading up on stars and sacrificing chemistry in the process typically aren't too successful-- you can ask Portland about that. We have our rebounder, defender, and shotblocker down low in Griffin. I'd take Mo and a good center (Dream?) over Webber and Cato, looking at the way our team is set up now.

------------------
    EDDIE, EDDIE, EDDIE!!!

Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

3. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

The Rockets have pulled out of the running for C-Webb because they feel that with Griffin they found the perfect compliment to Mo Taylor. Also, signing C-Webb to the max would limit the Rockets cap space for years to come.

------------------

4. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

But if Webber says he wants to come here there is no way CD will turn him down.

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, Charles Woodson, and Eddie Griffin fan club.

5. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Of course. But I also don't want Webb using the Rockets to drive up the price. All indications are that we aren't one of his preferred destinations, but you never know.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I hope that we don't end up like the Suns [​IMG] For years they tried to build around Kidd. They've had some good players like Googs, Marion, Chapman, Majerle, Cliff, Ceballos, etc. but never seem to get out of the first or second round. Does a team of Francis, Mobley, Taylor, Griffin, et. al equal the Suns of the 90's????

------------------
    "Oh No..."
    -Bill Walton in 97 just before Stockton's buzzer beater

7. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

The only thing that screwed up the Blazers was the Pippen trade. Everybody was happy back in the lockout season. Acquiring Smith and Shremhp were good moves, but then Pippen screwed everything up.

Pippen moved Wallace to the 4, and Grant to the bench. His lack of leadership ruined the chemistry. That didn't fully take effect until this past season.

I do think it is unfair to say "look at Portland". They did not have too many superstars this year. In fact, they lost because they had too many washed up players.

I think the Rockets would be a great team with Webber AND Hakeem, but the safer course is to re-sign all the free agents.

------------------
    Protrolls.com!

"I want to be like Olajon." -Sagana Diop has the right idea...

8. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

hmmmm.....I guess the end result may be ok. But, it would just make us look like Chicago in a certain respect. I just don't want to be used......

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

9. carlit0

carlit0 Member

The way that I see it, is that Webber is starting to run out of options and he will have no other option but to stay in Sacramento.

Webber is not worth giving up everything to get him, for many teams.

[This message has been edited by carlit0 (edited July 03, 2001).]

10. bigmike_oh

bigmike_oh Member

we didn't get griffen to compliment mo taylor , we got griffen cause he was good and had potential. Nuttin to do with mo taylor.

------------------
    oh

11. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Don't believe that! The Rockets have said that Griffin was at the top of their board "because he fit their team." Not their fictional team with Chris Webber but their CURRENT team with Mo Taylor.

If they didn't believe Griffin was a great compliment to their current players, they wouldn't have taken him and subsequently said they are backing off their pursuit of Webber.

------------------
    How the hell should I know why God would allow the Holocaust. I don't even know how the electric can opener works. - from Hannah and Her Sisters

12. Major

Major Member

Teams loading up on stars and sacrificing chemistry in the process typically aren't too successful-- you can ask Portland about that.

Really? Portland was the only team in the past two years to even give LA any type of challenge. I would say they were very successful, until they dumped their young All-Stars (Grant, O'Neal) and got old All-Stars (Kemp, Strickland).

------------------
    http://www.swirve.com ... more fun than a barrel full of monkeys and midgets.

13. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Here is the first part of the article from AP noting this topic

Webber says he now sees how serious this is

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Associated Press

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Sacramento Kings free agent Chris Webber said he has been contacted by 12-15 NBA teams since July 1 and has no idea where he will play next season.

In an interview with The Sacramento Bee published Tuesday, Webber said he will take his time deciding where he wants to play.
    "I'll just say this: I didn't realize how serious all this (free agency) was until 12:01 (July 1). That's all I want to say about it. Right now, I'm in the same position that I've been in. I don't know what I'm going to do."

Webber is eligible to re-sign with the Kings for more than $120 million over seven years. Only a handful of teams can offer Webber anything close to that amount, and at least two of them -- the Houston Rockets and Chicago Bulls -- appear to be out of the running.

Rocketfan007-how can you make a statement stating what the Rockets are thinking as if it were fact???

------------------

14. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

At this point, I think that the only way we'll get Webber is for Sacramento to accept a sign & trade that would include Cato & Walt. So, don't hold your breath on Webber being here next year.

------------------
    Nothing is impossible, if you believe it's possible.

15. davo

davo Contributing Member

Really - I'm all for the Rockets driving up Webber's price if another team ends up signing him.

------------------
    God help me, ...I was only nineteen.
    Current Rocket's Salary & Contract Info

16. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Really? Portland was the only team in the past two years to even give LA any type of challenge. I would say they were very successful, until they dumped their young All-Stars (Grant, O'Neal) and got old All-Stars (Kemp, Strickland).

That's another part of it too. Grant and O'Neal are both very nice young players who grew increasingly frustrated with the lack of playing time they received, and left the first chance they could. If we were to get Webber, keeping our own role players would be very important, because we wouldn't have the money to go get anyone else. Who knows how KT, Terence Morris, Jason Collier, etc. will take not having the chance to get quality minutes? KT can't get very many at the 4 with Webber there. Morris can't get adequate time at the 3, because to do that Griffin would need to go to the 4 and Webber won't go to the 5. And if by some chance Webber did play the 5 some, then Collier might leave and we'd be stuck with Kelvin Cato as our only true center. We have better depth and role players than many of you realize. However, you can't expect them to accept 15 minutes per game or something just to win a ring. These are quality young players who deserve time and deserve to have their chance at individual success. A team of stars won't work without those role players, and because of minutes, stars chase away role players.

Also, my goal for the Rockets is to get a little bit further than game 7 of the Western Conference Finals. [​IMG]

------------------
    EDDIE, EDDIE, EDDIE!!!

Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

[This message has been edited by The Cat (edited July 03, 2001).]

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

To further what Jeff was saying;

In the Rudy T interview after the draft a reporter asked him how he saw Griffin and Mo Taylor playing together, stating that Griffin should complement Mo nicely - Rudy said he couldn't talk about that because of "stuff" (which he had earlier alluded to the anti-tampering rules).
    So another reporter asked how Griffin fit LAST years team - Rudy laughed and said "good question" and said Griffin was a real good fit for last years team.

The impression I got from watching it was that Rudy was high on having Mo back but obviously couldn't say a thing due to the anti-tampering laws.

------------------

18. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Gotta agree with BigMike, this is all smoke by the Rockets. We got Eddie because he was a steal for what we gave up. But there aren't many teams that Eddie could not add too (if he at all lives up to his potential), so I think the "chemistry issue" regarding Mo T specifically isn't that relevant. It does so happen it also looks like Eddie would enhance the effectivesness of Mo T. and help cover his weaknesses, but he would probably enhance ANY PF, including Webber.

This is all Rockets smoke screen. Eddie or no Eddie (again he still is all potental at this point), I am sure we offered the max to Webber. If he doesn't come here it is his choice.

At the same time, if our brass knows Webber isn't realistically gone to come here as a FA, of course they will publically "say" we are no longer interested in him and say we want to build around our current players-especially making Mo T feel wanted. After Webber, Mo T is about as logical a player for us at the PF as anyone in, or outside, our organization (sorry, Davis is too old and isn't worth the max anyway). But that doesn't mean he wouldn't be dropped in a second to bring on Webber.

In other words, drafting Eddie is inconsequential on the Webber situation. It just makes losing out on Webber a lot more bearable because Eddie would seem to enhance Mo's strengths and help cover his weaknesses.

[This message has been edited by Desert Scar (edited July 04, 2001).]