1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Bill White's Fiscal Irresponsibility Leaves the Tab for Our Children

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by El_Conquistador, Feb 7, 2004.

1. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Since taking office, the budget shortfall has *doubled* from where Lee Brown estimated it to be. Bill White's fiscal irresponsibility is forcing our *children* to foot the bill. This man is mortgaging our future! I will not stand by and watch as this man *ruins* our economy and deprives people of employment! I'm sure all of this is an elaborate scheme to line the pockets of his big business cronies. Sickening. Sound familiar, LIBERALS? Boy, doesn't this make you all look silly.

Mayor: Budget deficit twice the prior figure
    Layoffs, land sales among possible solutions

By KRISTEN MACK
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle
    Mayor Bill White held out the prospect of employee layoffs Friday as he acknowledged that the projected budget gap for the coming fiscal year is twice as large as his predecessor's most dire forecast.

While Lee Brown's administration projected a $74 million shortfall for fiscal year 2005, which begins on July 1, White said he expects the gap to be more than $150 million because of several major -- and unavoidable -- expenses that are coming due.

In addition to considering layoffs, White said the city also might chip away at the huge deficit by selling some of its real estate.

He added, however, that there are some austerity measures he will not consider, including a property tax increase and pay cuts or furloughs for city employees.

"I've tried to get the most realistic idea of where we would be if it was more or less business as usual," White said, "and we've found that business as usual is unacceptable.

"The magnitude of the problem is greater than many people may appreciate," said the mayor, who took office five weeks ago Friday. "I'm confident we will solve the problem, but that will require getting at the root causes of some of these cost drivers."

Those "drivers" include a $40 million increase in the cost of employee health care benefits, a $50 million police pay raise that takes effect in April and a $60 million increase in the city's total contribution to the municipal, police and fire pension systems.

An analyst with the National League of Cities said Houston's predicament is pretty typical of cities nationwide.

"It's not just Houston. Those two (health care and pension system increases) are fairly prominent around the country," said Michael Pagano, the lead researcher for the NLC's annual report on cities' fiscal conditions and a professor of public administration at the University of Illinois at Chicago.

"We are now entering a phase in the economic cycle that is having an increasingly visible effect on cities, such as laying people off and cutting into the core of city services," Pagano said.

The last time cities experienced budgets this tight was in 1991 and, before that, the early 1980s, he said.

City Controller Annise Parker said that, while the economy and sales tax revenue seem to be inching up, she believes Houston is facing "a long, slow haul."

"We shouldn't expect any serendipity," Parker said. "It will be a difficult year to put forward a balanced budget and still provide the same level of services without new revenue streams."

The increase in the cost of employee health care benefits represents a 24 percent boost, to a total of $210 million, in the coming fiscal year. If the city absorbed all of that increase, White said, it would have an impact similar to a 10 percent cutback in department budgets or the layoffs of 200 city employees.

Instead, the administration will recommend next week that the city decrease its contribution from the current 88 percent to 80 percent.

A representative of the employees' union said this week that such a reduction would be unfair to city workers and would be the equivalent of a pay cut.

The police pay raise has been on the horizon for a while. White said he is not willing to renegotiate it because he believes police deserve to have their pay brought into line with that of other officers around the nation.

Pension benefits are the single biggest problem the city faces, having increased in recent years at a faster rate than the city's contributions. The municipal pension fund alone represents a nearly $1 billion unfunded liability, city financial officers say.

"We want to make sure the liability is well-funded and make sure that all the catching up does not have to occur in one year," White said. "I don't want to defer the day of reckoning.

"Instead of using an incremental approach of shifting a little money here or there, I'm going to the heart of the drivers of the city budget. Those will require some tough choices."

Among the money-saving options he is considering, White said solid-waste crews could pick up heavy trash on request, rather than going through neighborhoods looking for it.

Another possibility would be selling valuable city-owned real estate for a one-time cash infusion, he said.

White added that he will not consider pay cuts or furloughs, which would require employees to take days off without pay, because he views them as an inefficient way to manage.

However, laying off underskilled employees and reducing the number of supervisors or middle managers could be part of an overall plan.

"I'd consider laying off people, but not in a way that is clumsy or across the board," White said.

Metro also owes the city road construction money and repayment for costs related to the construction of light rail. The amounts are still under discussion, but Parker said Metro owes the city more than $50 million.

White said he does not want to compromise mass transit, however, and whatever amount Metro ultimately gives the city, it will be used for traffic-related projects.

This week, public works Director Jon Vanden Bosch said Houston's five-year capital improvement plan is no longer valid. White agreed Friday that the city may not be able to keep its capital expenditures -- on such big-ticket projects as major street improvements -- at previous levels.

"That's not unusual at all," Pagano said. "If you look back historically, the areas that tend to be reduced first are areas such as capital expenditures. The capital budget is the one I like to refer to as the flexible budget."

Cities can delay some road repairs for a year and still survive, Pagano said, but losing police officers on the street does not go over as well.

White said he is still optimistic that he can balance next year's budget, which he must propose by May 1, without cutting services.

Instead of making severe service cuts during Mayor Brown's recently ended six-year tenure, the city deferred spending through such steps as delaying the opening of a new library or cutting back on summertime pool hours.

"Next year will be an incredibly tight budget," said Parker, the city controller. "The pressures are going to be such that that should not be an option."

2. Major

Major Member

Sickening. Sound familiar, LIBERALS?

Very sickening. The difference is that, from the article, it appears the mayor is going to do things to try to solve the problem. Bush, on the other hand, has no concern for the children.

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Eactly what I was thinking, Major. Leaders, like Bill White, do something about it. Faux Leaders, like President Bait -n- Switch, leave it to the next generation(s).

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I thought you were moving out of the city, Trader_Georgia. What do you care?

5. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Here's a bit of news for you Jorge...

Bill White is trying to fix a lot of the things that Lee Brown messed up. Expensive...

Bill White is coming into office at a time when numerous construction projects are under way to ease congestion. Expensive...

Many of these projects are encountering cost overruns. Expensive...

All of these things that NEED to get done are expensive. Bill White is trying to find a way to get it done without raising taxes. As a fiscal conservative, this makes me happy. It should make you happy too.

Bill White has done many things that conservatives have been clammoring for for years. This includes a more competitive bid process for city projects and no personal action being taken by any council member to get their buddies the job.

Bill White is not the problem here...he is the heir to all the problems caused before his arrival.

You seem to have a real problem with these pesky little things we call facts.

6. edwardc

edwardc Member

Those expensive started with whitmire let not put it on the one who have tried to make the city better. ie lanier ,brown and hopefully white.

7. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

yuh let blame witmire not dzuthers. don putid on anibody butzidmire. idalway dudder wuns bud laner and bron and dudder ones. iz widmire fersurr.

p.s. Sanchez woulda knowed ezzatly wut to so, rite?!!! EZ-Zatly! EZZZZATLY!!!! WAY SARTERUN DEEN@!

8. dc sports

dc sports Member

I think TJ was being sarcastic. :)

But the irresponsibility was deffinitely Brown's. I never understood his budgeting techniques -- was he a big idiot directing the budget & forecasts? Or did he just hire idiots and was foolish enough to believe them?

It's pretty sad that Brown didn't put these obvious items into his budget forecast. I'm glad that White is looking to avoid one time fixes and wants to put in place a responsible budget.

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

From what I saw, it was the latter.

10. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Hmmmm. Where have I seen this circumstance before?

11. Major

Major Member

Hmmmm. Where have I seen this circumstance before?

Both Bush Sr. and Clinton had to fix all of Reagan's messes. And Kerry will have to fix all of Bush Jr.'s messes. ;)

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

On a side note, I saw a Marvin Zindler piece that gave some appreciation to Mayor Lee Brown for the work the guy did to get this city prepared for the SuperBowl. I've seen nothing but complaints during his entire tenure, yet when everyone here was bragging about the job our city did for the Superbowl, no one gave the former mayor any credit. I guess Bill White got the city ready in his one month in office.:rolleyes:

13. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Sounds familiar... but you and the rest of the country would already know that Bush is doing the same thing if CBS allowed the MoveOn ad to air...

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow! Does this mean that TJ is now against deficit spending and piling on to the debt?

What a turn around.

So TJ, will you vote for the democratic nominee or an independent in an effort to remove the biggest contributing President to the debt and deficit spending?

If that is a private issue don't bother answering, but it is comforting to know by you concern with this issue that GW Bush won't be getting your vote. I'm glad that you care about not leaving the bill to our children.

15. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

Just because T_J piles on liberals for bashing Bush's fiscal irresponsibility, that doesn't mean his points about White aren't valid.

Those Houston numbers are pretty dang scary. White's only been in office a short while so the shortfalls aren't entirely his fault. It is up to him, however, to deal with them.

16. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I see Bill White as the person who inherited the mess the Brown built...

I thought Brown was an idiot who had no business running the city...BWhite will make the hard decisions to fix the mess, but it won't happen overnight...

As for Bush, he inherited Clinton's mess and that is a fact...To jump start the economy, he has done what it takes (i.e. tax refunds, spending, etc.) as this is what economic theory states...

BTW, Clinton was an idiot and Bush is being blamed for a lot of what is going on, which is complete crap...

17. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

T_J move out of Houston already.

You have overstayed your welcome.

What is next move to Mexico after November? ;)

Sweet. :)

18. surrender

surrender Member

so how is bush's fiscal responsibility working out, guys

19. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Congratulations! You have completely missed the entire point of this thread!

Note to self: Need to write on a much more simple level so that liberals can understand.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Who's budget mess did Rick Perry inherit?