1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Meritocracy?: The Secrets of Princeton

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Read the rest at: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/04/0...t-the-secrets-of-princeton.html?smid=tw-share

I found this interesting . . . in that is reveals a bit of the machinations that help maintain status quo while maintaining the ideal of a meritocracy.

Rocket River

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Thanks for the article

3. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

On my crazy journey to get funding for our startup (we've raised 50K so far... whahoo???), I find that Ivy league alma mater get funding for some of the most ridiculous ideas. A lot of it comes down to rich investors graduating from the same university. It's nuts; "Great idea but where did your co-founders graduated from?"

I graduated from a state college with a Comp Sci, but with a lot of experience. Honestly, I see ABSOLUTELY NO difference in skill level with the ivy league graduates I've talked to with the same experiences.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I understand.
    It seems to be more about networking and connections than anything.

When someone from NON IVY says they don't feel represented
    Well . . . they aren't . .. not on the Supreme Court
    The indoctrination group thought - in the sense they are taught the same way . . .the same means. . . and to an extent the same arguments.
    So they basically all the same .. .not much room for external information to be added to it from anyone outside IVY
    Their thoughts are dismissed as 'inferior' before they are even made.

Rocket River