1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fundamental Flaw With Team Building and Philosophy

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by TheMountainTop, Aug 24, 2015.

1. TheMountainTop

This is my take on the Texans:

The owner and GM want a "good" football team and what that's starting to look like to me is that they want a mild mannered bunch of players who don't get in trouble or have a mean bone in their bodies.

This team is lacking that mean streak. All the players we have are too nice. The only guy we have now that use to be mean was Brian Cushing all be it he was on performance enhancing drugs.

Anytime a player gets in trouble we end up letting him go. We have never had a player thats pumped the team up.

Seems like a team with a bunch of soft ass p*****s. We need our own legion of boom.

The Texans don't give off the impression that they are Bulls. They give off the impression that they are veal.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The too nice theory again.

What about heart and leadership?

3. TheMountainTop

I only see JJ exhibiting that. Cushing does it too but hes been out due to injury.

Someone has to empower that bunch. Its a mental state. They need a pit bull.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

As the purest act of doubling down imaginable, he actually thought you were genuinely asking... that's great.

All these fans have cracked the code, man...

5. Hey Now!

I don't even have a comment... I just didn't want this gem to get buried...

6. Buck Turgidson

I want more scrappiness, grittiness, and David Ecksteinish-ness.

7. joeson332

joeson332 Member

David Eckstein? Gross.....

8. Buck Turgidson

He was a gamer, and a coach on the field.

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Another great bit. I wish we had a team full of Aldon Smiths. Is Rae Carruth available?

10. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

This kind of "too nice theory" is just the same as trying to find a reason for the reason that can sound like reasonable for a failure.

The Texans franchise failure has one simple reason, the management sucks so bad on talent evaluation and that's it.

Given Rick Smith will know how good Gronk can be, you really believe they would really give a fork how much he want to party and drunk looking like an idiot?

Don't be naïve to think because we only want nice guys hence Rick Smith's options were limited, no that's not the case.

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

In my opinion, your opinion is that of someone that has never been around a football team. Do you even watch Hard Knocks, bro?

12. Hey Now!

No.

The overall failure of the Texan franchise involves a multitude of factors - yes, including bad personnel decisions. This game is too complex for anything to be simple.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I think our front office (drafting, free agency, salary cap) is definitely the weak point right now.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Care to name some players they let go?

As you said and we all know, they hardly bring in guys with issues.

I'm going blank, who are the last guys who were cut for getting in trouble? Cierre Wood, Willie Jefferson and Sam Montgomery - all 3 cut for smoking a cigar(or weed) in the team hotel? Well yeah, of course the fringe guys have a shorter rope. Two of them were undrafted and another was a 3rd round pick who did & has done nothing.

But [defensively], they call themselves Bulls on Parade!!! ;)

Stop worrying that they come across "soft" or they don't take chances on problem guys or that the coach spits out generic cliche after generic cliche.

Worry that they don't have a QB. Worry about how they're gonna find one.

Worry that, despite wanting to build through the draft(which is perfectly OK), they suck at drafting (or talent evaluation as Texanasiafan/Mr. Clutch said).

Worry about that **** ass field and worry about who the next player is going to be that'll blow out their knee, foot or ankle.

Plenty of other things to worry about than the "players are soft" and "nobody pumps up the team."

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Swearinger. I disagree though, plenty of teams win with "good" guys. Vince Wilfork's niceness to goodness (on the field) ratio is out of this world, I'd gladly take someone of his caliber (3 years younger) at every position on the field.

16. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Being a bunch of nice guys sure hurts the IND Colts. :rolleyes:

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Oh right, something about his truck and his dog bit Clowney, lulz.

I guess but not many were sad to see him go.

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

That team would be nothing without Andrew Luck.

19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Swearinger wasn't let go because he was a bad seed.

He was let go because he couldn't cover well enough, and the one thing he could do - tackle - he failed to do from time to time because he was going for a big play. Oh, and the other big reason, he wouldn't play special teams.

20. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

is this 2010?