1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OSCAR TORRES IS A BAD@$$

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thacabbage, Dec 11, 2001.

1. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Atleast one positive has come from the injuries. The guy hustles, plays intense defense, can shoot, drive, postup, has adequate ball handling abilities...

Thinking long term, once Steve returns, does the 6'6 Torres become the high energy starting small forward this BBS has been looking for? Is he big enough? Would Rudy do it?

2. Band Geek Mobster

Oscar deserves to be our starting SF. He's played the best basketball all season on this team. Rudy needs to let go of the idea of Walt starting and let "La Respuesta" start...

3. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

10-11 from the field! :eek:

Damn! He's good!

4. CLFranchise

CLFranchise Contributing Member

dang, what was he, 10 for 11 on shooting?
    He's a baller, but he won't start...
    like I've said before, Rudy is too damn loyal to his starters.

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I hope he'd be just as effective against taller SF's instead of the little SG's he's going against right now though...

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The ridiculous part about Torres night is that he was 5-6 for 15 points in the 1st half. He only gets TWO shots in the 3rd quarter (he made both) and then doesn't get ANOTHER shot until 3:13 left in the game. Those are the types of mistakes that are inexcusable. With the Rockets hooting as lousy as they have this year, they need to get the ball to the guy with the hot hand.

Meanwhile, Mobley is 4-12 the first half and manages 14 second half shots.

7. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

33 pts for 26 Field Goal Attempts is very acceptable, stop your whining!!

8. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

...I was gonna do a post-thread about Torres, but I am glad someone else did :) ...I am now looking at all the positives I get from the Rocket games lately, and he showed himself to be a big positive...I really like his hustle and energy (sorta reminds you a little of Bo outlaw.) and I am happy to see him play when he did...I only wish he could have seen more minutes.

9. DaneB

DaneB Member

I agree, right now Torres should be starting at the 3 spot. We need to start the game with our best unit. If Torres continues to prove himself, it will only be a matter of time though at least until Rice comes back. If Houston isn't going to make the playoffs, at least try to win him ROY, I think he may have the talent to at least be one of the runners up. The one thing I can't figure out though is why Eddie Griffin played such a small amount of minutes tonight. Why play Kenny 38 minutes when he couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat (5-14)?

10. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

There were many mistakes down the stretch, but as soon as Oscar (HOPEFULLY ARE FUTURE SF) got us back into the game (AGAIN), Rudy went back to Thomas, Moochie and even partly Cuttino (shooting bricks), which is why we were in the whole in the first place. Tier was a big part of our comeback, and did anybody even see him play in the 2nd half.

Why in the hell did Moochie shoot that 3 pointer down the stretch. If Oscar is shooting 10-11, why in the hell would Moochie take that shot?

11. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

Now there are a lot of things that we can't understand ...

12. outlaw

outlaw Member

CD is probably drawing up a 7 year $35 million contract for Oscar right now :)

13. Hakeemtheraptor

SmeggySmeg......

33 pts for 26 Field Goal Attempts is very acceptable, stop your whining!!.........

WHAT!!!.....just because it's respectable does'nt mean Oscar Torres should not have been given the ball......if a guy is shooting and has made nearly ALL his shots......THEN YOU GO BACK TO THAT PERSON....Cuttino is ball HOG!!!.....he's good but takes many ill advised shots......

i luv this guys play(Oscar Torres)...he hustles and plays hard day in and day out......he should start for the Rockets....it's not like it's going to hurt the team.......Rudy T should try something different cause this team is in trouble and Torres is the ONLY bright spot in a Rockets uniform since the injury of #03.....Kenny Thomas should be traded because he's over-rated.

Losing 11 games in a row should call for a change...even if's because of #03 not being in the lineup.

14. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

If they haven't learned a lesson or two, they deserve to be ripped like this! :mad:

15. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

any chance Osacr shoots 10 of 11 cause his shots were created for him, not often someone shoots that well especially when they typical don't play a huge role in the offense by creating shots for themselves????

16. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

outlaw,

:D

Dude, you crack me up!

17. solid

solid Contributing Member

Can you build a team around Francis, Mobley, Griffin, and Torres. Yes! (I have loved Torres since the first time he took the court) The kid just has it. Why is Griffin getting so few minutes? Why is M.Norris getting so many minutes? He would sit if I could decide the lineup. He is passing more though, mostly to Mobley.

18. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

As us Austin folk like to say, Oscar is the real deal. I'm not sold on his defense thought. Show me more D Oscar!!!

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You obviously missed my point, subtle though it may have been. Mobley always gets his shots, regardless of his percentage. The Rockets do a poor job of getting the ball to a hot shooter. A couple of games Rice made a few baskets in a row and then seldom saw the ball again, the same with Torres last night. I believe Mobley was 2-7 in the 3rd quarter, while Torres was 2-2. Torres should have gotten more shots.

20. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Just look at how Mo Taylor was used last season. More than a couple dozens games he got hot shooting something like 4-of-4 or 5-of-6 in the first Q and got left off afterward.

Is that the opposing defense concentrates more on the hot shooters? I don't see it as obvious. Is that the Rockets just go away from the hot shooters? It doesn't make sense but it appears to be the fact. :(

What the hell is going on? :confused: