1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can OB reform RGIII?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by vstexas09, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I don't know if he is that smart and the best thing I've heard about his locker room presence is that he "lacks meaningful relationships".

His best year was as a rookie when they incorporated a lot of the Baylor spread offense in Washington. But when they tried to move away from that into more of a traditional NFL offense, he's struggled. I don't know if he can succeed in a real NFL offense. If a coach is willing to go back to what he did at Baylor, he might be worth it. But if a coach isn't on board with that, I wouldn't bother because he hasn't demonstrated he can run an NFL offense yet. Bill O'Brien isn't going to run a spread option offense so I don't see RGIII being successful in Houston. His best bet at redemption might be Chip Kelly in Philly.

Running a traditional offense he makes bad reads, both pre-snap and during the play, and just shows a general lack of awareness. I posted this in another thread but I'll post it again. It's worth a read.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...cant-assess-the-rest-of-the-redskins-offense/

It's been reported and hinted at for at least a couple of years that not only does RGIII not have a good relationship with his head coaches, but his offensive line isn't too fond of him either.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ral-washington-offensive-linemen-dislike-rg3/

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

preach. i think they'd be well served by taking shots at anything and everything provided they didn't cost much.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I like his talent, but he apparently has a terrible attitude. You listen to players, not talking heads, players on the radio and you won't hear a lot of respect for the guy. They talk about his bad attitude, that he seems uncoachable, that he throws teammates under the bus, etc.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Maybe maybe no

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

There was so much praise about his work ethic graduating in 3 years etc. coming out of baylor. Same narrative after his rookie year about how he was a hard worker etc Now he is a bum?

He might be a bum, but it seems like everyone just wants to pile on now.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Personality issues aside, Griffin seems to have Michael Vick disease, only worse.

An uber athletic QB whose legs became a crutch that eventually taught him bad habits (poor footwork, can't read a coverage, lacks touch on short-intermediate routes, holds the ball too long, etc).

Griffin was always going to be Griffin. If you let him run and chuck it deep (the two things he can actually do), he'll win you games. At least until his body completely collapses. Which it did.

Track stars don't make great QBs (or football players in general, for that matter). Too violent of a game for that.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yes, what this team's current QB situation needs is an obviously toxic QB to come in and provide a huge distraction. Sign me up!

8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

It's been mentioned on multiple occasions that his team (coaches, GMs, and owners combined) have helped in mismanaging his recovery.

It takes quite some time to recover from an injury (or injuires) of that magnitude. So, if he needs a year or so ala Mike Vick to fully recover physically and mentally why not try it that way.

I'm not comparing these two because they are on complete different levels skills wise but people were expecting for Manning to be done. He had more than one surgery performed on his neck! His freaking neck!! After a year of full rehab he came back just as good as before.

I don't believe RGIII has issues throwing the ball because of his legs does he? So why wouldn't a year of full rest and rehab bring him stronger than what he's been since the first serious injury he encountered in the NFL? I mean it certainly can't hurt.

It'll be easier if you try to put yourself in an athlete's shoes and know how rigorous it is to recover from a devistating injury as an ACL tear. But most can't so we'll leave it at that.

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

When your own O line hates you, you know you screwed up

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Until RG3 incorporates humble pie into his diet, he will be worthless as an NFL QB. Let the sideshow be a distraction for some other team, not the Texans.

11. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I'm forced to agree. RGIII came out of the worst possible system at Baylor for a professional QB. He was ill prepared to handle the requirements of the position and once he was forced into playing in a conventional manner, it was clearly obvious just how unprepared he was in the areas of pocket presence, reading defenses, seeing the entire field, understanding the offense. Shanahan incorporated RGIII's strengths into his offenseive scheme while Gruden appears to have chosen the "my way or the highway" approach. RGIII's arrogance probably did him no favors at all. However, I still believe that, in the right system and with the right coach, RGIII can be a legit pro QB. When I look at situations like his, I'm reminded of Jim Plunkett who won the Heisman while at Stanford yet flopped miserably in the NFL with the Boston (later New England) Patriots. He gets traded to the 49er's and gets released and winds up at the Raiders in a reserve capacity until 1980 when Dan Pastorini breaks his leg and he takes over going on to win two Superbowls. ANYTHING is possible in the NFL given the right circumstances.

12. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I honestly like Mallett and Savage more than I like RGIII at this point. The only chance I would take at the QB position would be a high draft pick next year, if the right guy is available.

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Anyone who watched RG3 in his rookie season could tell he was going to get the living **** beat out of him on the field the way he was throwing his body around. Vick endured similar hits and subsequently his performance suffered.

His style of play is perfect in Madden, horrible in real life when you get crushed by 250 pound linebackers or mentally unstable safeties who want to end your career every time they hit you.

RG3 is clearly snakebitten right now. He's not making any reads and it is like he's almost waiting for the protection to break down. He's not going to be a QB in this league unless he lands in a system that allows him to take a backseat for a while, gain some humility and learn how to play QB in the NFL.

From a lot of reports about his personality, there are a lot of teams who doubt he's got the personality to accept defeat and isn't going to be willing to adjust to life as a reclamation project.

Andy Reid in Kansas City is a logical fit. He was able to rehabilitate Vick and turn him into a monster for one season. Alex Smith is a perfect QB to model his game after, a former college dual threat QB who had to endure a lot of failure before he found moderate success.

Even in other systems dual-threat QBs aren't exactly a shining success at the moment. You can point to Seattle as a gold standard, but even Russell Wilson has his deficiencies, although they are mostly masked because his defense and run game support are so good he is rarely in a position where he has to move the sticks with his arm. Without his defense bailing him out and Mike McCarthy having no balls in the NFC Championship, Seattle would have been down by 21-28 and there would have been no hope for a miracle comeback.

14. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I'm honestly not sure RGIII could handle O'Brien's style of coaching. <a href="https://t.co/wSd32LOjlx">https://t.co/wSd32LOjlx</a></p>&mdash; Matt Miller (@nfldraftscout) <a href="https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/638718372771852290">September 1, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

16. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Good post but it wasn't so much just Andy Reid that was a great fit for Vick in his QB rehabilitation but also Marty Mornhinweg I believe, who was the OC at the time with the Eagles. Marty is now with the Ravens as their QB coach and that might be a decent spot for RGIII to go and just sit back and be an understudy to Flacco. Considering they have Schaub as Flacco's backup, and (knock on wood Ravens fans) Flacco has been very durable so RGIII would be well placed there and probably not see the field until pre-season or the end of lopsided wins.

Or Dallas.

17. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

These are fair points. My main disagreement here is that your optimism is wrong due to not accounting for his injuries: dislocated ankle, 2 concussions, torn acl, torn mcl. Many do not think that he's the same athlete anymore, and many believe that he is too brittle to succeed in the long run in the NFL.