1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Draft Prospects Article- ROCKETS

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by R=$, Jun 6, 2007.

1. R=$

R=$ Member

For Hoopsworld:

Draft Prospects: Houston Rockets
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By Bill Ingram
    for ***************
    Jun 6, 2007, 13:00

If Tracy McGrady has his way, Oklahoma State’s Mario Boggan will be a Houston Rocket next season.

“Who?”

Exactly.

McGrady and Boggan went to the same high school and they’ve been working out together this summer as Boggan tries to make his way into the NBA. Frankly, the Rockets could do a lot worse than sign Boggan after the draft. He’s not likely to be on anyone’s radar for the first or second round, but the senior from North Carolina could help a Rockets team that needs talent and has little cap room to acquire it.

Boggan averaged 19 points and 7.6 rebounds in his senior year as an OK State Cowboy. At 6’7” 235 lbs. he has the body of a small forward, though he often played center for OSU. Despite some impressive play throughout the first half of the college season, Boggan stock fell when he struggled to get it done as teams began to key on him over the second half . The more he struggled, the more the Cowboys struggled, losing nine of their last 12 games. There were rumors that Boggan had an attitude problem after he left Florida, but both Taurean Green and Jared Jordan – two of his teammates in Orlando for pre-draft camp - are very high on him. Keep an eye on Boggan.

As for the 26th pick in the draft, the Rockets will most likely look to address size. Unfortunately, since every other team in the league is in need of size, it probably means the Rockets will take what’s left. Brazli’s Taigo Splitter would be a great addition to the team, but is a long shot to be there at 26. Croatia’s Ante Tomic draws comparisons to Pau Gasol because of his ability to play three positions, but he has been playing in a lower level of competition in Europe and probably won’t be ready to impact this team from day one. Finally Aaron Gray is also being talked about in terms of potentially ending up in Houston. Gray is a project, for certain. Think Dave Feitl. He has soft hands and can catch in the post, but he gets pushed around and isn’t quick enough to be an impact rebounder or shot blocker.

If Gray is the only big left when the Rockets’ number is called they would probably be better off looking for the big two they are lacking. Italy’s Marco Belinelli might still be there, or Arizona’s Marcus Williams is an attractive pick at 26. Williams is a primetime scorer who handles the ball extremely well and has great court vision. The drawback with Williams is his defense. He just doesn’t seem interested much of the time. But Belinelli is no better defensively and not as good on the offensive end.

Daryl Morey may be in charge now, but he’s not likely to change the Rockets’ pattern of taking best available. At 26, that’s the name of the game. If the Rockets feel they can retain Dikembe Mutombo for one more season they should go ahead and address their 2/3 needs. If Mutombo is out for sure, they have to find someone to back-up Yao . . .even if it’s not a top-tier talent.

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

isn't there a plyer like this every year that Tracy's been working out with and knows in some way or another?

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I would put Boggan ahead of Glen Davis, Joseph Jones, and Fazekas. Crazy aren't I. Never knew about the McGrady relation.

5. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

6'7 PF? We already have Chuck.

6. PeteTheCheat

PeteTheCheat Member

I see what youre getting at...

draft big baby...then sign bogann after the draft...

then lure weatherspoon and tractor traylor out of retirement and we would effectively have cornered the market on fat undersized power forwards!

7. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

Just FYI, hoops***** is banned on this site.

8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Just say no to Aaron Gray. Trust me. I'm a Pittsburgher -- I know!

9. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

i can second that, he's about as slow and boring as you can get with centers

10. Sextuple Double

Earlier in the year I was an Aaron Gray supporter. Not anymore :eek: Like that Pitt dude said, hell no. Not a rebounder or shot blocker, we don't need him. I'm not sold on Mario Boggan. I don't think I'm the only one here who is tired of undersized PF's. Don't think Marcus Williams is gonna be there when we pick, and Bellinelli hasn't gained my confidence yet. I'd prefer Rudy Fernandez or Gabe Pruitt. Jason Smith would be a steal.....he's a workhorse.

11. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

I see Boggan as a Kenny Thomas type. Anyone agree/disagree?

A Kenny Thomas is about the best we could hope in terms of production from a mid 20s pick, but do we really want a KT on our team?

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

There's plenty of players historically who have been way better than KT but picked later than mid 20's.

There's been an even bigger group that never amounted to anything, sure. I'd be happy with KT like production, hope for an even better diamond in the rough, and expect management/ownership to screw it up somehow or another.

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I think Kenny Thomas had a better polished offensive game than Boggan did coming out of college. But I really want a PF with some size down low, we already have an undersized bruiser in Hayes.

14. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

As a Okie State fan, I like Boggan. He's ridiculously strong, a very good rebounder, and a good defender. Think Paul Millsap strong. He plays a lot bigger than 6'7". But he doesn't have much of an offensive game at all. No range. Not even Chuck's ability to find open spots and keep the offense moving. Think of his as a 6'7" Dikembe Mutombo. If the Rockets see a use for that, he's certainly NBA quality. But he's also a really limited player.

15. BuckJohnson79

BuckJohnson79 Member

anyone have avergaged 20 per in the Big 12 alongside never seen a shot I didnt like Jameson Curry has to have some kind of offensive game

16. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Is he by chance the son of Stuart Gray who played a similar game for UCLA a couple of decades ago?

17. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

That is JamesOn....

18. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

No more undersized players please.

19. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

Agreed. Too bad the 25 teams ahead of us all want a big man too. Rolling the dice on another PG might be the best we can do. :(

20. ESource

ESource Member

Who? ;)