1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Lawson's Battle with Addiction

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sydeffect, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Written by Calvin Watkins

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13367938/nba-ty-lawson-battle-addiction

Some interesting quotes:

"Lawson is a likeable guy who pulls pranks on his teammates and supports numerous charitable causes, from his former AAU team to other events in the Maryland/Washington, D.C., area. He has a bright smile, is beloved by his teammates and has good friends throughout the league.

He's close with Harden and has a good relationship with Rockets forward Corey Brewer. Stevens, a mentor who coached him in AAU basketball, called him family-oriented and a devoted father."

As part of a plea agreement for an underage drinking and driving charge while he was in college, Lawson had to perform 24 hours of community service and complete an alcohol assessment program.

According to WRAL-TV in Raleigh, Durham, Fayetteville, Lawson wrote in a four-page letter, "It made me think of how lucky I am that nothing bad happened that night to me or to anyone else. Drinking and driving do not mix."

"There's after parties with your small group, or your team or what have you," said Lucy Underwood, a Dallas-based addiction counselor of more than 20 years who has worked with professional athletes while working for Enterhealth Ranch. "How do they combat that? The person needs to have an ongoing relationship with a therapist. And a therapist for an elite athlete tends to be highly available. They will travel to where the athlete is. That sober coach is another component that I would always have with an athlete. That person typically can travel with them if they are using or taking part in [any 12-step program]."

A source close to Lawson said, "Ty is doing well. Great. Working hard, making progress."

Lawson's agent, Happy Walters, said before Lawson went into rehab that he doesn't need a chaperon. However, several other high-profile athletes who have battled off-the-field issues such as Josh Hamilton and Johnny Manziel used one. The Dallas Cowboys employed a chaperon for Dez Bryant and previously for Adam "Pacman" Jones.

"That can be a challenge for young professional athletes because they [already] have a strong support system in the city that they live," Coakley said. "Or that strong support system supported that counterproductive damaging behavior and they need to develop another strong support system. That can be a big factor related to why it can be so difficult because you don't have strong support."

2. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The article makes it sound a lot more in question about whether or not Lawson would contribute anything for us this year.

I feel the odds that he is a positive to our team--and a big positive at that--are much higher. For one thing, he has never let his alcohol abuse hurt his on court performance yet. For another thing, the probability that he avoids jail time (with his ability to hire the best legal counsel out there) is high.

So all he needs to do is not drink and drive again. The 100% sobriety would be a bonus, but heartless as it sounds, it is not a requisite to this whole equation.

3. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

That's what I keep reading every time the Rockets are talked about anywhere.

"Will they get the real Ty Lawson?", "He will be too big of a distraction" etc.

He's had a very bad drinking habit for a long time now and has played at a high level despite it.

4. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Alcoholism is progressive and can spiral out of control very quickly. I have extremely high hopes for him, but it is naive to think that if he could be productive in the past, he will be in the future.

Also, if he is truly an alcoholic, perfect sobriety is absolutely required. We (I am one) have no ability to stop after the first drink.

Finally, it would not be a good sign if his agent's assertion that "he doesn't need a chaperone" is true. If he is an alcoholic (and, again, that is an IF) then he needs to be ready to go to any lengths necessary to get sober.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Whole nation is following his addiction

6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I didn't even think about courtside patrons being served alcohol. That can't be easy for him

7. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Red nation is following..... We got your back ty get well and lead this team. Alcohol sucks anyways, drugs and alcohol is overrated. I drink about 5x a year and every time I do I just ask myself why anyone would want to drink this stuff..... But I do know 12% of the world struggles with this disease maybe more, we shouldn't make fun of anyone with it because we wouldn't make fun of someone with cancer.

Alcholism is a serious serious illness no differnt then any other disease that kills daily. We need to support ty at games, on the street and social media and let him know that the city of Houston is always willing to give sombody a second chance, the best cute all for this horrible illness is love. Let's show ty Lawson what the city of Houston is all about.

8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Im opening an after hours bar and big booty strip club

I'll get rich fast thanks to Ty Lawson and James Harden

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

[Lawson's battle with media coverage]

10. clutz

clutz Member

I'm glad that ESPN went out last season and hired someone to cover the Rockets full-time, but Calvin Watkins is such an awkward writer. "Lawson's career on the floor is wonderful"?

11. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Heard of Eddie Huang? This guy?
    [​IMG]
    Restaurants in NYC & LA, designed clothes, wrote an autobiography "Fresh Off The Boat" which the TV Series "Fresh Off The Boat" is based off?
    [​IMG]

Here is his account about his 1st experience at an NBA game:

My first game was Magic versus Warriors. The Warriors had Chris Mullin and Tim Hardaway and I loved Hardaway, but my dad was a sucker for the Magic. It was part of his “we’re Orlandoans” campaign… … my dad insisted I cheer for the Magic. He came up with his own “cheer” and slick-talked me into doing it with him. “Next time Chris Mullins gets the ball, yell, ‘al-co-holic’ and then stomp your feet.”
    “What’s an alcoholic?”
    “Chris Mullin is an alcoholic.”
    “OK, cool!”
    He had the whole section screaming “al-co-holic.” He was officially a brain-damaged Orlando resident, but at least he was having fun.
    [Fresh Off The Boat - Eddie Huang]

Opponent fans can be ruthless: Derek Fisher and the Jazz fan...Kobe and what he got during his scandal
    Ty just has to stay strong and focus. Hopefully NBA fans have gotten a little better over the years.

#11 cdrive, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  12. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

F Espn. If Lawson was on the Lakers none of this foolishness would matter.

13. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Still not getting excited about Lawson until I see him on the court.

14. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

just remember no one is forcing ty to play basketball.

15. MistaK

MistaK Member

''Lawson apparently made the final year of his contract in 2016-17, valued at $13.2 million, nonguaranteed. In theory, if Lawson has a good, incident-free 2015-16 season on and off the floor, he might be able to maximize more dollars''

This part can't be right, can it?!. If its non-guaranteed it should give the Rockets the option to keep him at his current set salary for 16-17 and not the other way around.

16. MistaK

MistaK Member

You will be excited soon enough ;) ...I'm sure he has issues, but the media seems to be taking it too far. His off-court issues have not really affected his on-court performance in the past, so I don't see why this would change now that he is a Rocket.

17. PJ86

PJ86 Member

I'm not expecting anything and I have little sympathy for drinkers. Just stay away from parties, bars where alchohol is served. Sure it will be difficult, but if you're committed, you should be willing to do anything. Maybe Ty can convince Harden to do the same.

18. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

So you have info that James is an alcoholic or close to being one?

19. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Change of lifestyle wouldn't hurt Harden and obviously no.

20. MistaK

MistaK Member

THIS!! Some people on this board need to really stop. No indications whatsoever that Harden has a drinking problem. Guy works hard on his craft going by media reports/the org./teammates.

The guy is 25 years old, let the man hit the clubs/concerts/big booty women and enjoy his life!!