1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Boxing] Floyd Mayweather to fight Cotto

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by lue03, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Burko

Burko Member

Helps though doesnt it... the whole not getting hit thing.... especially when you have the speed to land your punches and dodge his.....

2. what

what Member

dude there are thousands of boxers with speed that get beat all the time. I'm pretty sure you don't know about this fight but I'll mention it anyway: ivan calderon was the minimum weight version of mayweather and he got beat twice by giovanni segura.

at the time he had not lost a fight in 9 years. You think mayweather goes through fights without getting hit once? The dude was tagged by sugar shane, tagged by zab judah, tagged by a slower de la hoya.

mayweather is the one that has to put on weight in this fight he doesn't have the luxury of being the bigger man, and he is going against a guy with more power than he's ever faced in his career. I can't see mayweather being able to hold off cotto because mayweather doesn't have the punching power to scare him. after cotto faced Margarito's power, and still came foward. Money isn't going to do nothing but back up all night. cotto is going to knock mayweather out, just like segura did to calderon.

3. Dei

Dei Member

Very interesting fight. Cotto's in much better shape than when Pac fought him.

Props to Floyd for fighting Cotto at his weight.

4. Prince

Prince Member

I don't even think Cotto can land a solid jab on Mayweather. Again, a turtle vs rabbit. If Cotto wins a round i'll buy you lunch.

5. gambingo

gambingo Member

I doubt Cotto can do much against Mayweather's defense. Easy decision win for Floyd.

6. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

If you're fast enough and defend yourself well enough, it is.

7. what

what Member

in mayweather's last fight even he was tagged to the body by ortiz. the reason money beats these guys has because money is fighting guys that can't hurt him on the ropes. he gets hit, and secondly, there is a difference in being an unskilled brawler who is slow and cotto. Cotto is a skilled boxer with power, he isn't micky ward in there. in mayweather lets cotto get him on the ropes it will be over. if mayweather lasts, he probably wins by decision.

but I want to see what happens when mayweather gets hurt against a guy in his prime.

8. Dei

Dei Member

I think Cotto can beat him. Then, again, I thought Marquez could, too. Still, Cotto is skilled and pretty quick. At 154, he's gonna have as much power as his body can deliver. Cotto's a really, really smart boxer, too. He's never lost to a fighter weaker than him physically.

I think Pacquiao chose another safe opponent. Floyd's one-upped him again.

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:confused: How has he one upped him? Pacquiao already beat Cotto

10. Prince

Prince Member

Pacquiao is not weaker than Cotto physically?

Bradley is safe?

11. Dei

Dei Member

Cotto's in much better shape now and Mayweather's fighting him at light middle.

12. Dei

Dei Member

Pacquiao's stronger. Bradley's not at that tier.

13. what

what Member

what pac did to cotto was superhuman. show me 1 fight that mayweather ever put on a barrage like that. it doesn't exist.

hell even ortiz tagged mayweather.

also, i'm pretty sick of mayweather's 'acting' job. he acts like he isn't getting hit to win points with the judges for his so-called defense.

anybody judging pac-cotto and thinking cotto was SLOW is delusional. pac did something to cotto that NO other boxer, including mayweather, would be able to do.

mayweather's banking on this being a boxing match and he doing his 12 round dance. but i think cotto is going to attack his body like body has been able to do.

14. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

how/why do you know he's in so "much better" shape?

and light middle is still easily within easily mayweather's wheelhouse.

15. Dei

Dei Member

What? No, it's not. He's only fought there once, vs. Oscar.

Cotto's just beaten three very good fighters, one of which was the guy who gave him his first loss. When he fought against Pacquiao, he was just two fights divorced from his first loss and off two lackluster performances.

16. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

when he fought ortiz he came in at 146.5 so he was probably just under 150. It's just not that big of a leap for him...that's what I mean by in his wheelhouse.

If anything, Cotto should have been more motivated after coming back from 3 disappointing performances...and how much of that was on him or the style of fighters he went against? Point is, saying he was in "much better" shape is just a vague and unconfirmable really...unless he had a beer guy or something.

17. Dei

Dei Member

Mayweather's still only fought at that division once.

Cotto motivated? You could look at it from another vantage. He could've been desperate and insecure. It's pretty human to have doubts after your first loss. It's unconfirmable, true, but it's not a stretch to say that's probable by a good margin along with he's in much better shape now after coming off three strong outings.

18. Dei

Dei Member

BTW, Mayweather weighs practically the same, fight night.

19. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

He's probably fairly close, but there will still be water weight gain. It's hard to believe he walks around perfectly at 146.5 all the time when the limit is 147.

When he fought ODL he weighed in at 150, so like i said, he doesn't have to do whole lot to make that weight class.

Cotto weighed in at 152.25 against margarito.

Point being, the weigh differences, both in terms of where he fights normally as well as the difference between he and his opponent, are negligible.

20. Dei

Dei Member

You mean he can break the Welterweight limit easy. Sure. It's standard practice to drain, then, put on weight. But I wouldn't say a welterweight that weights in as much as 155 at fight night is a light middle fighter.