1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FX] The People vs. OJ Simpson

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by J Sizzle, Feb 2, 2016.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Considering the history of the LAPD and fact the cop that found critical evidence in the case was a proven racist later convicted of felony perjury it's not a real stretch to reasonably believe some evidence could have been planted in the Simpson case. It was a very effective explanation. When you have corrupt, racist police regularly running roughshod over innocent people, an understatement for the LAPD, it's inevitably going to blow up in their faces and it certainly did here.

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Yes, it is a real stretch.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

well it seems like a stretch that a cop would shoot a black person for no reason but we seem to catch one on video every month

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And why was Simpson allofasudden a target of the LAPD?

I think they were actually more guilty of catering to celebrities in this case (and other similar cases).

Evidence was mishandled (in terms of following exact protocol/procedure/semantics)... but its a stretch to say they were planting Simpson's hair fibers in ski caps, mixing Brown/Goldman's blood to put in the Bronco, and introducing all three people's blood into a glove that was already at the murder scene (and having the foresight to frame Simpson at the initial discovery of bodies when they had no clue who the victims were).

Its a stretch...

5. CometsWin

Mark Fuhrman is a convicted felon, a liar, and a racist but to some people it's a real stretch he would plant evidence. Good call.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Wasn't he convicted of perjury...for lying about being a racist?

Yes, he's a racist... and he's a convicted felon for lying about being a racist... those are basically the same thing.

Still a stretch to carry out the meticulous frame job you're suggesting... if he was capable of that, he's far more talented than being given credit for (not to mention, nobody could ever prove that he, or anybody else, planted/framed anything). Also, still haven't come close to discussing why OJ was targeted by the LAPD to begin with... this isn't like Making a Murder where there was an established motive for the county.

But yeah, really cool to get somebody off of a double-murder charge based on a technicality... go system!

#66 Nick, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  7. CometsWin

What meticulous job is that? Planting evidence? I would bet he did that in his job pretty damn regularly. A racist white cop with the LAPD needs an established motive for planting evidence on a famous black man married to a white woman? That's a stretch of willful ignorance even for you. I have no doubt OJ committed the murders but it's also perfectly reasonable to believe Fuhrman and perhaps others may have planted evidence here. They're not mutually exclusive.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Planting large pieces of evidence is one thing... but getting it down to the microscopic/DNA level... without any evidence of tampering (where was Furhman's DNA, where did he get the OJ hair fibers, how did he somehow get OJ's shoes, cover them in blood, clean them, put them back in his house, how does he have the blood of the victims ready to plant on OJ's bronco?, how does he have OJ's blood at all, when is he doing all this?... the night of the murders?).

That's also a pretty sketchy motive.... given that they could have arrested him any of the umpteen domestic disturbances when they were still actually married, but didn't.

As you said, you have no doubt he committed the murders... it should have been an open/shut case, but was let go on a technicality.

#68 Nick, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  9. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's funny folks just don't want to accept that there are Americans who have had a very different experience dealing with police. Fuhrman represented everything that the LAPD police state meant to black folks in LA. Furhman was point in discovering evidence and his background made a setup less of a stretch.

Yeah, if I had to put money on it, I'd say OJ did it. But I do remember, during the trial, when truths about Fuhrman came forward, I knew it was gonna blow up in the face of LAPD. Fuhrman even admitted to beating people for no reason and to falsifying police reports and planting evidence. I think word first came out do to some movie consulting he did and then he was asked during the trial:
    Absent Furhman, OJ was done.

10. CometsWin

Agreed. The history of the LAPD and a guy like Fuhrman finding critical evidence, combined with the mood of the community in Los Angeles, the incompetence of the prosecution, and the brilliance of OJ's defense team. It was just a perfect storm for OJ to be acquitted. The part that is really just sad and infuriating as hell is how the families of Nicole Brown and Ron Goldman will never get justice or closure on their murders.

What's really startling to me though is that there are still quite a lot of people that bend over backwards to give police the benefit of the doubt in all situations. Just by virtue of the videos of police we see every day I would think the math would just kick in and there'd be a wide acknowledgement that there are likely hundreds, even perhaps thousands, of incidents each year where police lie, plant evidence, and abuse citizens. It's out of control.

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

He lied about cursing a few years earlier, it wasn't material to the case but had to be prosecuted due to the publicity.

12. TheresTheDagger

Another tidbit I read tonight.

The scene where they filmed OJ holding a gun to his head and writing his will was filmed in the actual house and rooms they occurred in.

13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

A&E had a documentary about hidden tapes with OJ... a few more interesting things was that Robert Kardashian (sp?) and OJ supposedly went to a few other locations around and outside the house where OJ supposedly threatened to shoot himself an each place Kardashian would say, "you can't shoot yourself there, you don't want to be found near garbage" or you can't shoot yourself there, because then I would see you lying near the pool each time I looked out the window".

Also interesting was the perception that Kardashian thought he was guilty and looked a bit upset/sick when the verdict was given.

Last, the OJ family had a sorta party when he was released from the trial... which was filmed. Seemed extra creepy I am sure to people there in hindsight.

14. Victorious

Victorious Member

Yeah its this one here. Interesting to hear that Rob pretty much cut ties with OJ, didn't even want to talk to him on his death bed. That alone says a lot. And AC breaking down in the deposition talking about Nicole.

<IFRAME SRC="http://vodlocker.com/embed-icdvuco6x6pa-640x360.html" FRAMEBORDER=0 MARGINWIDTH=0 MARGINHEIGHT=0 SCROLLING=NO WIDTH=640 HEIGHT=360 allowfullscreen='true'></IFRAME>

15. TheresTheDagger

Another good episode.

This show really makes Robert Shapiro out to be a complete a-hole. Thought it was funny watching the Kardashians "kids" getting excited about their dad being on TV and then spelling their own name. Wonder what they thought about that scene. LOL.

I wasn't aware they had the vehicle stopped at gunpoint at one point. That must have occurred before the helicopters started filming overhead...or maybe I just have a bad memory.

Anyways, I would ask where everyone was when the white Bronco chase was happening, but on a Rockets fan page, that's probably pretty obvious. :cool:

16. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

I'm enjoying the show. I thought the shot of the young Karashian girls was silly, we get it, they are famous now, but I would assume completely irrelevant to the story.

17. Victorious

Victorious Member

i thought the part where they showed the network heads arguing about switching from a finals game to the chase was cool. then showing the scene in NY sports bars. a couple rockets parallels with that scene and of course harden's ex, khloe and her family :cool:

im not sure about Travolta though. he doesn't seem like the Shapiro I've seen in the documentaries. A bit over the top

18. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

That's just Travolta, he's always a bit over the top. He doing too much to copy to mannerism of Shapiro and it comes off a bit cartoonish, oh well I didn't really expect much from him. Rest of the show has been fairly well done, it makes for a fast hour.

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It's a bit over the top and has a lot of unintentional comedy (David Schwimmer's acting? Those Kardashian kids?), but I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Admit it... how many people were waiting to hear the (phony) phone call "I see OJ..."