1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aunt Esther, R.I.P.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rockHEAD, Sep 17, 2002.

1. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    Aunt Esther, R.I.P.

'Sanford & Son' Actress Page Dies
    Mon Sep 16, 8:50 PM ET

INGLEWOOD, Calif. (AP) - LaWanda Page, who played the fearsome, Bible-toting aunt Esther Anderson on the 1970s television comedy "Sanford & Son," has died. She was 81.

Page died Saturday at Centinela Hospital Medical Center from complications of diabetes, friend and producer Donald Welch said Monday.

After the aunt Esther role from 1973 to 1977 on "Sanford & Son," Page appeared as aunt Esther in the short-lived spinoff "The Sanford Arms" in 1977. She also starred in "Detective School" in 1979 and "B.A.D. Cats" in 1980.

Born in Cleveland on Oct. 19, 1920, Page began her show business career as a dancer and chorus girl on the club circuit where she was billed as "The Bronze Goddess of Fire" because she lit cigarettes with her fingertips, swallowed fire and touched flaming torches to her body.

Childhood friend Redd Foxx gave her the biggest break when he recommended her for the aunt Esther role.

She made guest appearances on "Family Matters," "Amen," "227," "Diff'rent Strokes," "Martin" and "In Living Color."

Her movie credits included "Friday," "Meteor Man," "My Blue Heaven" and "CB4."

On stage, she appeared in Welch's gospel musical, "Take It to the Lord ... Or Else!"

Page is survived by a daughter.

2. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

My favorite Aunt Esther line... "YOU FISH EYED FOOL!".

RIP.

3. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

The classics never die. . .

R.I.P. :(

4. Old School

Old School Member

You just know she's giving Fred some **** in the junkyard in the sky right now.

os

5. Old School

Old School Member

Don't forget the classic: "Watch it, sucka!"

os

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Man, that's sad. I still rank Sanford & Son as possibly my favorite comedy series of all time. I guess Esther's gonna be in heaven chasing Fred with a Bible and her purse trying to beat him over the skull... I just bought the first season DVD, too. Guess I'll be watchin' that soon. :(

"the truth shall set you free.... ya ol' heathen!"