1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Lebron be compared to Jordan?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by MambaJoe, Mar 17, 2010.

1. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

As soon as Lebron James was drafted into the NBA, he was immediately compared to Jordan. But is that a right comparison? Most even went as far as to say he's better than Jordan, Magic and Bird.

Lebron is indeed a spectacular NBA player. There is nothing he cannot do. He can handle the ball, have a decent jump shot, and can dunk on anyone. But why compare him to Jordan? The NBA wants Lebron to be better than Jordan. They want him to win more championships, MVPs, scoring titles and awards. But is that a fair comparison between him and Jordan?

Lebron is a different player than Jordan. Lebron James uses his size, strength and athletic abilities to score. He is way bigger than Jordan. Standing at 6'9 and weighing more than 250 lbs, along with his speed and springs in his legs, this guy has everything a basketball player dream to have. Jordan on the other hand didn't have the advantage like Lebron.

Lebron James is a great passer but his talent level is no where near Jordan. Heck, his talent is no where near Kobe, Wade or even Durant. His game is mostly based on getting to the rim and finish. He is indeed a great finisher. But when he drives in, he just run straight towards the rim like a bull hoping to get foul or the lane would clear up for him to dunk. He is big, strong and fast enough to do so. I always wondered how can an opponent guard him if he's much bigger and faster, and charged straight in hoping to get a foul.

If you take Lebron James and put him in a Kobe's body or Durant's, can he still performed as well? I think he would still be a great player but he wouldn't be no where near as great. Guarding Lebron James have been a big debate for years. Is it legal for him to just charged straight in and running over his defenders and get the foul called? The hand checking rules today helps him even more. Unlike Kobe who does series of different moves to score and Wade slashes around his defenders to get to the rim. Lebron usually dribble on the top of the key, waiting for a pick and roll and drive straight in. He's so fast that opponents doesn't have time to set up for a charge. Most of the time, it would be a blocking foul.

Lebron James overall is indeed one of the most spectacular player to play this game. But for many to compare him to Jordan or Kobe just doesn't make sense. Kobe and Wade are better suited to be compared to Jordan because of their size and positions. Lebron is a big strong SF that plays a different style. You never see Kobe, Wade, or Jordan powers their way into the lane to score like Lebron.

Lebron should be compared to Magic Johnson because of their height and their similarities. Both are great passers and are about the same height. But Lebron is just much more gifted athletically and much stronger. I cannot think of any SF in the NBA that is as fast or as strong as Lebron James. So, I think the comparison of Lebron to Jordan is not a right comparison. You can't compare players who plays different positions. If Lebron was a 6'6 to 6'7 SG and weights as much as Jordan who is around 215 lbs then yes, its a fair comparison. But Lebron is 3 to 4 inches taller and weights at least 40 lbs more. Its just two different types of players, different times.

Jordan was one of the greatest NBA player and he is untouchable. MJ is a better scorer than Lebron James without the physical advantages like Lebron. Overall, James is a great player and one day become a HOF. But he cannot be compared to Jordan or Kobe.

2. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Seems like everybody that's hyped gets compared to the Next-Jordan .. Kobe/Wade/Lebron ...

But, I think each are their own ..... once they are all retired. It wont be any comparing ... but to just say Jordan, Bird, Magic, Kobe, Lebron.

This is Lebron 7th season ... Jordan won his first of six rings in his 7th season.

If Lebron plays 8 more seasons (total 15th) can he win 6 rings in the next 8 yrs to tie Jordan? ... doubt it.

Only person close to Jordans will be Kobe if the Lakers wins the title this yr.

Kobe would have 5 rings.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Michael Jordan could play the SF position just fine, and LeBron James can play the SG position just fine. So the argument that one is a "SG" and the other is a "SF" doesn't seem to hold very well to me.

Also, whatever differences you are bringing up in regards to playing style and size could be just as well brought up with regard to Shaq versus Hakeem. Does that mean Shaq and Hakeem shouldn't be compared either, because Olajuwon had a midrange game and played finesse while Shaq was almost exclusive brute force at the rim? I think not.

So, to answer your question, I see no problem in people comparing the two.

4. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I don't think the league has ever seen a player like LeBron James.

But I will say this, I don't think he can ever be like Mike.

One thing MJ did (and did well consistently) was take over games. He had such a beautiful shot (it just looked so natural) and it would go in, and go in more often when the game was on the line.

Also MJ was a world class defender. Before Pippen got there, he was the guy who would take on the opposing teams best perimeter player and even won DPOY. LBJ is improving in that category but not yet on MJ's level. He does not really shut people down. While the media puts him in the All-Defensive 1st team ahead of Battier, the fact remains that he just is not yet there.

LeBron is a great player. But he is not that.

5. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

I agree but Hakeem and Shaq both played the C position. Lebron and Jordan can both play the same positions but Lebron has so much more athletic abilities than Jordan. He is much bigger and stronger. Lebron is his own player. The reason why this isn't a good comparison is because Jordan didn't have the advantage like Lebron. Lebron plays against smaller guys while Hakeem is banging against guys his size.

6. Pest_Ctrl

Pest_Ctrl Member

Lebron does have a shot at his first ring this season. If he does not waste his prime with the hopeless NY, and if the Cavs management are competent enough, (or if he's smart enough to join the Rockets :grin: ) he could be in a position to win a ring every year for a long time. I doubt he will win 6 rings, but who knows? If he goes to NY, then he won't have any chance to come close to Jordan's total.

Kobe has a shot to get 6 rings, but he was 2nd banana for the first 3, and that will be brought up every time he is compared to Jordan.

7. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

I don't think Lebron really compares to Jordan. Kobe is probably closer than LBJ.
    I don't see Lebron getting anywhere near 6 rings like MJ before his career comes to an end. And I'm not sure Lebron has the ruthless desire of MJ. Mike has made it obvious in interviews and on the court just how personal he takes little things. It drives the man to want to win more than maybe any basketball player we have ever seen in the NBA. And the one thing with Mike is that he is clutch. So many big shots, I remember one game Pippen had the ball and MJ was yelling at him to pass him the ball. Scottie instead shot a three and made it. And then a timeout was called and Jordan was yelling at him because he didn't pass the ball. Now it's a bit ridiculous considering Pippen made a three....but it shows that something in Jordan. Ballhog...maybe a little...but that something special.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

And Jordan was quicker, had long arms, and huge hands. More "hang time".

9. kjhwang

kjhwang Member

This just in: President Lincoln was assassinated by John Wilkes Booth.

Seriously, go to sleep.

10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

11. deekay209

deekay209 Contributing Member

I completely agree. From day one, Jordan played like he had a chip in his shoulder. I think it derived from his high school days when he didn't make the varsity team until junior year. Lebron on the other hand, was always hyped as the next best thing since middle school. Don't get me wrong, he was and is. But those high school years really defined those two in different ways.

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Lebron himself has been wearing #23. That naturally invites PLENTY Jordan comparisons.

13. Francis 4 ever

lebrons passing is overrated along with his on ball defense.

14. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

15. rocketnam

rocketnam Member

You should not even try to compare the two.

Two different players in two different times.

Jordan was great,but the skill level then isnt what it is now.You have better shooters.More aggressive players.You have at least two to three All-stars on a team now.As in the 80 to 90's you had 1 All-star every 2 to 3 teams.

People can say what they want on how Lebron and Jordan have similar styles.

The fact of the of the matter is Jordan has taken his team to many Championships and Lebron hasnt.

Lebron can dance on the sidelines all he wants.but he cant even be spoken on Jordans level or Kobe for that matter.....Win ONE ring,then dance a jig.

16. showtang043

showtang043 Member

lebron puts up great stats, i'd say hes the most athletic player in the league, a freak, but not the most skilled...its tough to call him king and all this crap they market him with until he gets a ring, then the talk begins there

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

LeBron is a freak, physically speaking. I don't know or care who is better between him and Jordan, I just know that they are both once-in-a-generation talents.

The incredible thing is that LeBron is a small forward who could as easily play point guard or power forward. Heck, he's almost big enough to hang with NBA centers.

Before he was drafted, scouts were saying that his natural position is PG because you want the ball running through his hands every possession, praising his passing above all of his other skills.

The only thing that saddens me a little is that I don't feel like we're seeing anywhere close to all that he's capable of. The guy could be even more of a monster if he decided to work on a post up game and play as hard on defense as he does on offense. He seems content to spend most of his effort driving and scoring, driving and dishing, or jacking up jumpers, though.

18. Pest_Ctrl

Pest_Ctrl Member

You've got to be kidding. If you put jordan at his prime in today's league, he would destroy everyone. Even Kobe's skill level today still cannot match what jordan had. Just go look at some of Jordan's games when he was with the Wizards. His superhuman athleticism was basically gone by then, and he still can get an open shot whenever he wanted by just a few head fakes.

The number of allstars each year hasn't changed, so please enlighten me how can the teams now have way more allstars than back in Jordan's days?

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

God forbid! It's Jordan who should be compared to King LerBon The Fantastic.

20. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

Let LeBron wins 3 first before any comparison, right now he can't even hand Kobe's stick.

And LeBron's game, as is, relies too much on athleticism, as well as how refs like him. I mean, any ref will give you 2 points on a jumper but running over a defender for an And1, it can go either way. Right now LeBron is Stern's post boy and things are under control. But once Stern is busy promoting next generation, he may not get as much star treatment and his game will suffer a lot.

If LeBron can't refine his post plays and mid-range by 30, I think he'll decline much faster than MJ, KB did. And the chance of getting many rings will be slim.