1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unsung Hero

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DJ, Feb 13, 2005.

?

Unsung Hero

1. Scott Padgett

19 vote(s)
    6.8%
  2. Dikembe Mutumbo

79 vote(s)
    28.2%
  3. Bob Sura

90 vote(s)
    32.1%
  4. David Wesley

31 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. Jon Barry

30 vote(s)
    10.7%
  6. Juwan Howard

26 vote(s)
    9.3%
  7. Andre Barrett

3 vote(s)
    1.1%
  8. Ryan Bowen

2 vote(s)
    0.7%
  1. DJ

DJ Member

This year a lot of players have been stepping up. Some come as a big surprise. It is a great feeling to have players on the team who are ready and willing to perform. Andre Barret, for example gave us a little boast in late November. Sura has been playing well, doing all the things that a point guard should do and then some. Jon Barry, Scott Padgett, and David Wesley have shown the ability to hit timely shots. We can't forget Dikembe Mutombo. Sometimes referred to as the Cookie Monster, Mutumbo has had some good games with us providing rebounds and block shots. Juwan Howard is also deserving of credit for his abilities to knock down open jump shots and his increased play as of late.

There are a lot of options. Who do you think is our unsung hero.

2. danielf

danielf Contributing Member

Mo T and C Ward are very very unsung.

3. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

And lets keep it that way!!! :eek:

4. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Alot of people are singing about Bob Sura these days

I would go for Deke

5. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

how about when the turnaround occured...david wesley getting involved.

6. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I would choose Dikembe Mutombo. Sura is doing great too but he's already getting so much attention right now. I think if there is someone that's not getting enough credit it is Deke. The grandpa is seriously taking time to help Yao as much as he can. I actually think it is getting through. Go Deke go

7. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Who voted for Ryan Bowen????

8. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Barry. I don't think there's anybody on the team that combines "the willingness to pass" and "the ability to pass" like Barry does. Not only is he unselfish, but he has an uncanny knack for getting the ball to guys in a position where they can score. I really think that he's a major reason that the offense is clicking so well right now.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

4-0 when Bowen starts !!

But I voted Deke.

I think he has rescued our team time and time again when Yao get into early foul trouble.

DD

10. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

I think I misunderstood the poll....I thought "Unsung Hero" meant that he was doing a lot (hero) for the team but wasn't get much credit, i.e unsung. I would think that Howard and Westley fall into that category. If we are talking about who is doing the most; not named TMac or Yao. Then, it's Sura. But I don't think that Sura is really "unsung." He gets a lot of credit around here and on TV.

Anyways, I'm glad that Sura is getting credit though. :)

#10 DavidS, Feb 13, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2005
  11. The Ming Dynasty

The Ming Dynasty Contributing Member

Yep! I love his touch passes, jump up - look one way and pass the other - passes, and consistent shooting. It's contagious.

12. DJ

DJ Member

No, no I was the one who misunderstood the definition

13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wesley has handled the ball,is sticking threes,and playing great defense.He doesn't get enough credit IMO.
    That said,when looking at the poll,it sure was nice to see that the whole team is getting the job done....beautiful chemistry.

14. munco

munco Member

I went with Deke because he is playing awesome in limited minutes. I truly thought he was done several years ago when I saw him play for NJ. He seemed to have trouble catching the ball let alone do anything else. This year he seems capable of leading the league in blocks if he could play 35 minutes/game.

I wonder if we'll ever try the Yaotumbo twin towers experiment? Miami does it with Shaq and Doleac.

15. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I would probably go with Deke becuase Sura has been getting a lot of reecognition of his play and he starts so he should have the numbers he is putting up.....

Deke coming off the bench has been a consitant player and given us what we need day in and out.....

16. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Since Yao isn't able to play 35-40 minutes every night, we have to have a center who can come in and make stops for us. There have been several games where the other team would have run over us while Yao was out if it wasn't for Deke.

17. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

We lucked out with Deke. We only had to give 2 role players that weren't going to be a big factor in the rotation anyways and we aren't the ones paying him his full salary.

18. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

If we are talking about "unsung," I got to pick Wesley

I think Sura and Deke have got their props, deservedly so. They are crucial parts of the team.

And I know Wesley has received praise, but his defense has gone relatively unnoticed, until recently. His shot is now falling and he isn't a turnover machine like Jimmy Jackson.

This is a tough poll to vote on, there really isn't a "wrong answer." (well maybe Barrett or Bowen are wrong answers).

19. franchise23

franchise23 Contributing Member

Yeah other than Yao or T-mac Sura has done the most but the poll asked for the unsung hero and so I voted for Deke. He has done a great job on defense and rebounding when Yao is having an off game or in foul trouble. Anytime he scores its an added bonus.

20. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Dikembe Mutumbo, what a wonderful phrase, Dikembe Mutumbo, ain't no passing phase, it's our problem free, philosophy, DIKEMBE MUTUMBO!