1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are NBA Players Allow to Sign and Play Elsewhere During The Lockout

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by wizkid83, Feb 15, 2010.

1. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

With the increase in the international basketball talent, finances, and competition, one has to wonder if something can be done in the interim when players are locked out.

For example, if I was Peak or Li Ning, I'd seriously look into sponsoring at 8 team, Olympic style tournament (two 4 team divisions round robin, advance top 4 into single elim playoffs) a using middle level NBA guys like Shaq, Shane, plus one or two young NBA star talents like Brandon Jennings mixed in with CBA players. It'd definitely make a splash on the global stage for the shoe brand.

Also, the European teams might be able to have their pickings of the middling players such as Ariza, Brooks, Nate Robinson, Kirk Hinrich and etc. to join their team, even if it's just for one season. I just want to know if the players are still bound to their contracts in terms of a lock out especially since I read that last lockout they were not getting paid.

2. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

I would imagine they could while the lockout lasted. They are under contract, but they're not playing and not be paid. They'd probably have to get a club waiver that they would be excused from their new contract if the lockout ended.

Of course, I could see the owners playing hardball there to cut off any revenue for the players. Stern and company hold all the cards in this lockout.

#2 ScriboErgoSum, Feb 15, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think the answer is yes, if the owners are locking them out and not paying them they have a right to go make a living elsewhere.

I am not 100% sure though, but I believe that is the way it is...

DD

4. ArtisGilmore

ArtisGilmore Member

http://articles.latimes.com/1999/jan/01/sports/sp-59586

Apparently in 1999 the NBA was OK with that but FIBA wasn't happy with the prospect of the NBA players suddenly leaving immediately after the lockout ends. I assume the restraining orders asked for by NVE and Marcus Camby asked to suspend their contract with their NBA team so they can just play in Europe that season.

1 person likes this.
  5. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Seems fair. The Euroleague takes itself seriously, I'd be pissed if I my team were doing well and all the sudden players started leaving.