1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Post-Game Interviews: Rockets vs. Grizzlies 10/9/2014

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 9, 2014.

1. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Ish Smith sounds very confident, almost expecting a longer role with the team this season. I'm glad! We could use him off the bench to run and gun and create for the young hustle players. His defense wasn't a minus tonight either, imo.

2. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

He was the backup to Dragic last year in their fast paced offense. I think hes a serviceable backup. Like Ariza, Ish is much improved compared to the first time he was here.

3. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

LOL @ the Ish/Pap lovefest. Cute.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Clutch, thanks for posting those video interviews. Very cool! It's awesome that you have that kind of access to be able to bring those types of things to the website. Great stuff!

1 person likes this.
  5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

This makes Clutchfans so unique. The best NBA related fansite in the world.

1 person likes this.
  6. 713KLP

713KLP Member

His defense definitely was not a minus. Last season, he was 8th (0.92) in DRPM (Defensive Real Plus/Minus) among Point Guards. Bev was 6th (1.29). Assuming he doesn't get cut, we will have 2 top 10 defensive PGs in our rotation. That's pretty damn good.

1 person likes this.
  7. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

In limited minutes probably but still good to know. That more than impressive for a backup pg

Exactly the impression I have as well

1 person likes this.
  8. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

what goes into DPRM? his quickness I think gives him the ability to stay in front of people by moving his feet or being able to shift to one direction fast.

9. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Clutch was yourself or anyone you can provide a link to at training to get post training interviews.

I read Dorsey, terry were back training and dwight was still not training.

Or if an CF's could help me out that would be appreciated

10. PeppermintCandy

I think Ish Smith has a great chance to be the backup PG when the regular season starts. He has the best feel for distributing the ball, and the other candidates seem too raw for now.

There also seems to be an excess of capable middle to end of the bench talents on the roster. I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade or two in the next month or so.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I wonder if there is a "Chuck Hayes" among these minimum wage bigs, ready to beat out a more highly touted/established "Stromile Swift" for minutes.

12. anchel

anchel Member

Well, he has already won the spot, from now on it's on him to lose it or keep it.

What I don't get is the the supposed surprise there. Since we passed on Sessions he was the absolute favourite to get the spot.

13. jedicro

jedicro Member

That's what I really noticed. His acceleration going around screens is ridiculous. I knew he was a good passer from his previous stint here, but I had no idea he was such a good defender. To me that makes the decision for him to be the backup point easy

Now I just want to see him on the floor with Daniels more. Wasting Daniels shooting with Canaan has been frustrating.

14. PeppermintCandy

I haven't been keeping track of Smith after he left the Rockets, and I don't really remember much about him except that he's lightning quick.
    The recent preseason games are showing me he has a pretty good feel for distributing and setting up other players.

His lack of size and average outside shooting are still concerns. So personally I was hoping that Canaan was a little more ready to contribute, but he still seems to be a work-in-progress.

Anyway, the Rockets' PG rotation won't be a position of strength, but it may not be as much of a detriment as I had first assumed it might be.