1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should I get a nose job? (ugh...I broke my nose)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dean, Apr 2, 2011.

1. dean

dean Member

Long story short, my nose had a straight bridge..and then I broke my nose..and all of a sudden a huge hump formed on the bridge :(. I am thinking about getting surgery on it, however I am torn but need to make a decision fast.:confused:

Also, do you know how much it would cost? I just want to remove the hump..I understand I have a receding chin, but wont fix it because I was born with it.

The nose on the other hand, was a result of an injury. I dont want to spend a fortune, and am considering not getting it fixed. Just need some feedback before I make a decision that will impact the rest of my life. Please be mature, as this is a touchy subject. Thanks a lot!

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

It looks fine. I wouldn't worry about it. How did it look before?

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I've broken my nose three times - learn to live with it - if you get a nose job... well, just don't do it.

4. dean

dean Member

@ Mr Brightside,
    Before, the bridge was straight, ..after breakage, a hump formed as shown on picture

@King Cheetah,
    Oh wow, 3 times? I broke mine playing soccer and it sucked. How bad did it change your appearance..I seen people break their nose, but they look the same after the injury....

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

post a pic of the pre-injured nose so we can compare the difference and see if it is worth fixing

6. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

7. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not worth spending a few grand to fix.

8. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

You some sort of expert or something? ;)

9. dean

dean Member

I dont have any pictures of me from a side-view before I broke it, other than a couple of me as a kid.

I wouldnt get it done if it was genetic..its just that Im kinda pissed that my nose became deformed because of an unfortunate sports injury..and maybe it would boost my confidence if I got it fixed after I graduate before starting my first full-time job.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Do you have any breathing problems?

I had a recent nasal surgery (septoplasty and endoscopic sinus surgery) and boy was recovery painful, especially during the first week or so. It's totally worth it though because I wasn't breathing well (deviated septum) and was having sinus headaches, both of which seem to have been fixed.

Not sure if I'd elect to have nasal surgery for cosmetic reasons unless it's really bad just because I don't think I want to deal with post-surgical pain. Lots of nerves in the nasal region.

Also, I got this "post-up instruction sheet" at the OR for all nasal surgeries... under the rhinoplasty section it says you are not supposed to laugh for 6 months... not sure if anyone went through it... just seem a lot to take.

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

There are knots on it and the septum inside goes back and forth in three places. Where the worse break is it's pretty noticeable, but it just becomes a part of your character over the years. The worst spot is still tender to this day and I probably broke that place over twenty years ago.

12. dean

dean Member

I believe I have some breathing problems stemming from the injury (my nose is slightly crooked from front)..but nothing like what you described (sinus headaches, etc)

In terms of cosmetic surgery, Im not expert in it..However, I'm under the assumption that this is a very routine surgery though (get it done, minimal pain, recover a couple days, go back to work, bada bing, bada boom) I seen a lot of wrestlers and athletes getting nose jobs regularly from breaking their noses..(I would hope this is a one time thing for me though if I do get it)

13. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There are always risks with surgery. Rhinoplasty is a real surgery, and as stated above, it can be very painful.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/V-L8wfxdQ9A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Unless it is causing you illness or breathing problems I don't see why you need to spend over $5000 on a nose job. There are unnecessary risks involved in getting surgery anyway. Maybe you could donate these funds to someone less fortunate. I'm sure you may already do your part in helping others, but this selfless act may change you in ways the surgery can not.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Time to turn lemons into lemonade.

Owen Wilson's looking for a stunt double.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Consider this...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RF4KnxWGZto" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

First off she's a woman, and it doesn't hurt when you get those out. It feels weird more than anything else, and it's also surprising when they pull that much crap out of your nose.

I had a deviated septum after having my nose broke that required surgery as well. It was well worth it because I was completely unable to breath out of one nostril most of the time, and my insurance covered it. I'm sure some doctors would be willing to take on your nose job claiming it as a deviated septum.

#17 The Real Shady, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  18. hairyme

hairyme Member

I'm surprised how many are suggesting you skip the nose job! Naturally, getting cosmetic surgery has a stigma associated with it, and it's fairly justified: everyone should learn to be content with their natural body (for the most part). That said, your natural face was altered by an accident, and you'd like to have it back the way it was. I think that's totally reasonable, and if I were in your position, I would absolutely do it... well, depending on cost and surgery risks that is.

In any case, this is certainly not a issue of vanity... unless you get a nose different from your original!

19. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

EDIT: Redundant Owen Wilson joke removed.

20. dean

dean Member

Those videos are graphic but I expected something along those lines with any type of surgery.

Hairyme, thats actually one of my main reservations about going through with the surgery. I don't want anything fancy. I just want the surgeon to eliminate the hump. I'm paranoid that I'll walk away with like an extra small nose or one in a concave shape, or something. Times like this, I wonder should I just screw it and keep the hump? Man, I wish I never broke my nose playing soccer..

In terms of insurance, I would plan on getting the operation before I start my job and after I graduate. I assume insurance would be out of the question due to that?