1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Video: James Harden, Defensive Mastermind (2013-14)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AndySwanny, Jul 25, 2014.

1. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

Yes, I know Harden is not a good defender. The point is that a video like "James Harden - Defensive Juggernaut" is pretty easy to make (this took me about an hour and a half), and it over-exaggerates Harden's lack of defensive ability just like this does the opposite. That said, he's got a long ways to go in the ball watching category, but the potential is certainly there to be a good defender. Consistent effort is key. Here's to him making the jump! Go Rockets.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3oJfqcu3i1M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10 people like this.
  2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

From the title I thought you were being ironic, lol

3. JD88

JD88 Member

Great work. That lack of defense by Harden in the original video was just stupid, you could do that with any player in the league.

I noticed you don't have many of him actually playing man defense though, just of him jumping passing lanes. :grin:

4. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

Yeah that's more a product of me being lazy (just set up CH there) and not wanting to watch through all of the game film haha.

5. valorita

valorita Member

He has really good hands. Now he just has to work on positioning and concentration.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Harden should be offended he didn't make an All-NBA Defensive team.

7. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

You know, I spent all season thinking Harden was just an awful defender (don't get me wrong, he's not a good defender... but he's not HORRIBLE either)... I mean, I had to think that because I had only seen him in a handful of games last season due to CSN.

But I watched him carefully in the playoffs. What I noticed was that he didn't focus. He ball-watched when he wasn't guarding the ball, which led to him getting beat a lot.

So I started to watch him guard the ball... and what I saw was actually pretty good defense. I mean, any time his opponent tried to drive the ball, he played good defense for pretty much the whole drive and then at the very end he gave up and hoped Dwight or somebody was there to help him on the layup.

I don't think he will ever be an outstanding defender... not even close to All-NBA defensive team, but I think he can be good defender. He just needs to focus off-the-ball, and stop giving up the last step when his opponent drives.

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

He'll never have the lateral quickness of the better defenders, he doesn't have it on offense either so it's not as though it can be expected to appear on defense.

9. Pete the Cheat

In all fairness he did get a vote...very likely AndySwanny was that vote.

Insider status confirmed.

10. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

You're definitely right, he'll never have that lateral quickness.

But he does a decent enough job of staying in the way of the ball-handler, he just stops trying at the very end. Making the layup attempt easier than it should be.

11. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

IMO Harden gambles way to much thus when it comes off it looks nice with a steal or block leading to a fastbreak, but we all know how poor his defence really is when he has to stay between the basket and his man

12. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

You caught me. Big moves coming Saturday. :p

13. JD88

JD88 Member

His low post defense is amazing. He's a better post defender than Jones.

14. mig0s

mig0s Member

Getting a few steals does not mean you're a good defender. Harden needs to learn how to switch, play team defense, stay on his man, etc

15. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

Bingo. That's why he's excelled at defending in the post. He's strong, has quick hands, and doesn't have to chase his man around.

He has to reach a point where his energy level and focus allow him to do that.

16. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

So this is how he got those 2 All Defensive Team votes. Lolol.

Harden has the capabilities to be a plus defender. He has the strength, and the basketball IQ to be really good defensively. But it's just focus and endurance. It's hard to be a great defender and be the number 1 option. I think he is going to take a step or two in the right direction this season.

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

He has the ability. There was a stretch when the rockets were on a streak and playing really well when he consistently played solid defense. Then Sampson left and things went to hell.

18. JazzLakerHater

It amazes me how short sighted some people can be. A year ago, everyone was praising Harden as the next great 2 guard in the league. Now because he had one bad season on defense, people just want throw him under the bus mock him. The dude isn't even 25 yet, it's not like he's going to stop growing as a player.

19. rocketsmetalspd

Harden can improve this season on his D and I am sure with all the negative talk it will fuel him to prove the naysayers wrong this season. It will fun to watch this season.

20. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

Nice post. For him to be a good defender, the offensive load needs to be eased off of him a bit.