1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2nd and 3rd round picks Rick Smith has squandered

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Aruba77, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

He's the best player on THAT list. Connor Barwin was a 2nd round pick. Ben Tate was a good back when healthy. Brandon Brooks looks like he's developing into a very solid guard. Jury is still out on Swearinger. I don't know if you'd call any of those players great, but it's not like it's been a total black hole after the first round.

2. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

isnt it amazing that a routine catch by jacoby jones is dubbed "the catch" here on CF..

jacoby is terribly inconsitent everywhere hes been, he was the absolute same player for the texans that hes been for the ravens. it just so happens that the few big plays he made for baltimore happened in the champ game and super bowl..

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

The guy's a #3 WR on his best day

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't believe someone tried to term that reception "the catch" like it was something special. It was a terrible defensive play and a bread basket of a catch that I think the majority of people on this board could make.

I'll give him his special teams credit but as a WR...ehhhh

5. mick fry

mick fry Member

Nobody said it was a great catch, but it was "the catch" that won the game like it or not.

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It was a catch. This is more appropriate for "the catch"

[​IMG]

7. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I always got the impression that that was Wades decision as much as anyones... but we dont really know

8. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

When I hear "Jacoby Jones" and "Special Teams", all I think of is the 2011 Divisional Game against the Ravens. A horrible, horrible, horrible decision on his part.

9. mick fry

mick fry Member

I wouldnt give him special team credit.

10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The poster David Rocket said Manning wanting Houston just a rumor and Peyton never actually mentioned it.

Schaub
    was an above average, at times good, QB. He was also a primetime chump.

11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Damn.. not sure how all those extra quotes happened.

12. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

My understanding is that Archie manning told Spencer Tillman that Peyton would consider playing for the Texans. Tillman then told Bob Allen who reported it on air.

13. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

It's already been understood and basically released that Smith had his hands held by Kubiak. Kubiak told him what he was looking for, and Smith conducted the drafts accordingly. What I would hold Smith accountable for is not the selections (which were clearly Kubiaks) but the very terrible scouting department we have. Even when Wade came along it was still status quo. Wade picked every defensive player, including Watt.

It's the scouting departments complete failure of evaluating talent. Smith as a former DB apparently things he sees talent in that department, he's clearly failed every one of those picks.

As you can see with the O'brien regime, nearly all these pet projects of Kubiaks era are being waived, or have never panned out. I do also believe that the ability of past coaching staffs were severely lacking in the ability to develop the necessary players to build a true contender. The only talent that seems to ever really make it are 1st round picks and nearly all 2-4 round picks are busts or never sniff their potential.

I have hope that O'brien's squad can do a much better job of nurturing each players talents, and also know when to cut the cord.

14. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Clutch City!!..... o wait that's Baltimore I guess.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This will make or break this regime

Rocket River

16. Raven

Raven Member

I think everyone is way over estimating how much influence RS had on draft picks. Perhaps he has real power, perhaps he's nothing more than a yes man. The truth is hard to know. My hunch is that if McNair felt RS was as responsible as everyone here thinks, he would have been canned right along with Kubiak.

17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I think, in hindsight, Kubiak/Smith drafted rather decently (you can hang some of the draft failures, I think, on player development): they routinely hit on their first round picks; they were actually pretty good after the third round (Daniels, Slaton, Quin, Casey, Graham, Jones, Crick); they found undrafted free agents who could play in the NFL; etc.

I think their greatest shortcoming - one they never shed even as the team progressed and got better: they spent WAY too much time drafting "projects." It technically started with Kubiak's first-ever pick (Mario) and continued for years. Even when it worked out (Duane Brown), it was still a pick steeped in potential, as opposed to actual production. JJ Watt was a productive college football player; so, too, was Cushing. Guys like Okoye, Jacoby, Molden, Barwin, Posey...

When you're 2-14, you can take a flier on a guy. But when you're 8-8/9-7 and trying to get over the hump... man, you absolutely, positively HAVE to add contributors to your team, not guys who might need a year or two to learn this, or heal from that, or...

18. Remii

Remii Member

When you're 2-14 you definitely can't afford to blow draft picks... And you can't afford to blow draft picks when you're a mediocre 8-8 team either. The draft is essential for any team in any position to make their team better but it's usually the contending teams/playoff teams that are in better position to "take a flier" on a player... And usually good teams aren't in a position where they are depending on "rookies" to push them over the top.

And the draft is no exact science so it's all educated guess work... But the Texans haven't made consistently good guesses other than the 1st round.

19. JonRetro

JonRetro Contributing Member

another rick smith gem.. just waived last years 4th rounder Trevardo Williams..

20. mario_v

mario_v Member

I just started a new thread regarding the recent cut. Didn't know there was already another thread. You can delete it or merge whatever.