1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Car replacement help (had an accident, not at fault)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Outlier, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

So I had an accident recently and the other person's insurance deemed my car a total loss. It's kind of unfair because the car's value is worth more than what I'll most likely get for it which will be based off the bluebook value of 3000$. It was a low mileage at 110000 miles and very economical. Fully paid too. So now im left to find a new car that i dont want to spend money on but i have to because that's life.

What can clutchfans suggest for me that i wont have to spend too much on but if i do a little bit, has to be economical and not too expensive monthly. My first time buying since i last bought one from craigslist. I was looking at a honda fit before but they're expensive. Need something reliable... Thanks guys.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

If the criteria is new and very affordable, I would recommend a Nissan Versa or Versa Note. My wife has one she bought back in 2012 when she was working in retail. It's very stripped down and there's nothing beautiful about it on the inside, but it's a good little car. Surprisingly roomy. 4 adults can comfortably fit, and of course great gas mileage.

Automatic Versa Note (which costs more than a Versa) is at $15K.

#2 Haymitch, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  3. Camarograna2

Camarograna2 Contributing Member

toyota yaris brand new is 17K and great gas mileage.

4. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I was trying to explain the Secret to you, but you didn't want to listen. Maybe after you find your new ride, you'll dive on a different path through life.

Good Luck!

5. Outlier

Outlier Member

It doesnt have to be new. It can be pre owned

6. Outlier

Outlier Member

My last car was a 2003 civic only 90000 miles when i bought it, for only $4200. It was a clean title too. Ugh, and it was so tough to find.

7. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Check out used Scions.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Ah, OK. Well in that case the usual group will be OK: Civic, Corolla, Focus, Cruze, etc. I only have personal experience with a 2009 Focus (SES) and I wasn't in love with it. Got me from point A to point B (and on weekends, point C) but ehhhh. I think the newer models (starting in 2012, I think) were quite a bit better.

I just realized I really like Nissan vehicles. Murano, Juke (Nismo RS), 370Z, and of course GT-R. And as mentioned the Versa is good for a cheap car too.

9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

For your price range it seems that you will be looking at fairly high mileage cars ~100k miles.

I'd suggest Toyota Camry or Honda Accord. Those cars can go several years provided you do the regular maintenance.

10. Outlier

Outlier Member

Yes, it is my belief that if its a toyota or a honda with 100k miles more or less, i can make it last a few years longer.

11. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

lol, at the Secret. That's amateur hour. I prefer the magical properties of crystals and gemstones.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You don't have to necessarily accept their offer. Go look at classifieds and used car dealerships to see what cars similar to the one you were driving are selling for. You can dispute the offer. Your insurance company should be able to help you and give you advice.

13. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

That's your preference Mr. Stardust. :p

14. Outlier

Outlier Member

My insurance is not willing to help me since i didnt opt for collision coverage. I did see some deals on craigslist.

$3700 for a 2004 civic 120k miles
    Or a $5500 2005 scion 120k miles. Which one is better?

15. CCorn

CCorn Member

Take the 3,000 to Lake Charles and put it all on red.

Thank me later.

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Glad you're okay. Material possessions come and go.

Toyota does really cheap and little down (no tax) leases on a Camry sometimes but that would depend on how much you drive.

17. Outlier

Outlier Member

Umm what?

18. Outlier

Outlier Member

What's the SUV equivalent to a camry/corolla/civic? Cheap, gas efficient, and commonly easy to maintain and fix?

19. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Probably Honda CRV or a Kia Sorento.

20. Outlier

Outlier Member

So her insurance is offering to pay me 3850. I bought it for 4200 last year. Should i accept? And if not, how should i fight it?

Also, anyone own a honda fit?