1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Corey Brewer's price

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by anchel, Mar 17, 2015.

1. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

He has been a poor man's Brewer with Denver. If we get a serious upgrade at PG and/or Brewer becomes too expensive, Barton wouldn't be a bad substitute

2. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

At what point do you start solidifying the bench? Every championship team has at least one or two guys that would be a starter on most teams. You have to start retaining some of these players.

3. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Our bench was putrid before the arrival of Brewer and Smith. If the goal is to win championships in a 3-4 year window, Morey has got to find a way to keep good, proven role players.

If you can keep only one of them, keep Brewer.

4. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Brewer is a keeper.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

he is not getting $12 mil. no way

6. bongman

bongman Member

Is it possible to sign him to the same salary scale that we did for Lin and Asik so we don't go over the cap next year?

7. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I would say 6-7M per year for no more than 3 years actually. Brewer is a classic case of a skill and fit. He has excelled on teams like the Rockets, Mavs, Denver because of the style or role he played. He hasnt been as good on teams like the Wolves (except that one game against the Rockets) when he starts and isn't allowed to play his gambling/free flow style.

I think a lot of what Brewer will be offered will depend on how much the team believes in KJ McDaniels. I felt KJ was brought on to be a Brewer replacement in case if Brewer gets offered a deal starting at 8M plus. I mean Frye was offered 32M/4years last season - I can see some time doing the same.

Realistically though I think 20M/3 years is pretty fair. The guy would strictly be a bench guy if Ariza and Harden are healthy. Even with the cap increase the bench cant be filled with guys all making more than 8M.

I think Brewer has been a godsend for this team and its bench but we cant have the guy on bench making more than the starter and yeah I fully believe Ariza is a much better starter than Brewer. Ariza is far more discplined and controlled. We need that with the starters and that crazy bolt of energy coming off the bench. Their roles right now are perfect

8. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

$6-7M should be good enough to keep him. We can offer him at $8M if we have to.

9. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

The big question is, is Morey ready to give up on his dream of the third star? I'd be good with hanging on to these guys, and even getting the best 1-2 players we can in the draft. We've gotten this far with these players, and we have some tthat have room to grow, but it depends on what DM is thinking.

10. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

This is my question as well. I think we could find a lot of value THIS offseason since teams are going to be loading up for 2016. It should be a buyers market just like this current trade period was.

I think we can compete with a Brandon Knight / Jrue Holiday level starting PG next to Harden, and adding one LIGHTS OUT (40+% from deep) shooter to our rotation, at any position.

Only salaries we have to trade without seriously messing with our rotation is K-Pap and Prigs. I don't think their combined salaries will be enough to get us th type of impact player we need.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I agree. Morey won't always be able to stock the bench by conjuring guys out of thin air as good as Brewer, in my opinion.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

when you know you're very close to actually winning a title. this team is as deep as its been for the longest. so it'll probably very much depend on the playoff run.

13. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Brewer is so perfect for this team, especially our new aggressive defensive strategy.

I would definitely go with Brewer over Smith. I am really not sure how much it will take to bring him back, but I think bringing Brewer back should be a priority -- even if it means not bringing back Smith, or perhaps even trading Ariza. I honestly think Brewer is more vital to this team than Ariza right now. Hopefully we can keep them both, but I am guessing KJ McDaniels was brought in to be the replacement for one of them.

Also, McDaniels, if we bring him back next season, I predict he will fit the Rocket's style of play just as well as Brewer..........if not better. BOOM!

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

dont agree here. ariza is actually more important to this team imo. brewer is purely an energy player off the bench and is at his best in that role.

15. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

This should be the only answer.

16. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Corey has very quickly become one of my favorite players, but no way I'm dumping Ariza to keep him.

17. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

i would pay him 6-7mill. probably more around 8-10mill if we trade ariza for some type of blockbuster like love. but im hoping the market like others have stated isnt great for him and we can get him on the cheap like 5 per over 3 years.

i absolutely keep brewer over josh. i appreciate what smoov does but he is replaceable. i love the versatility but honestly we have a deep pf rotation and could afford the loss more than we could afford losing brewer who is the only depth at the 2 and 3 worth a damn.

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

everything depends on his performance in the playoffs for me