1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao learns Rockets don't share the ball well

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heech, Dec 22, 2002.

1. heech

heech Contributing Member

Damn those Yao-only fans...

http://www.startribune.com/stories/506/3549002.html

Dan Barreiro: Yao learns Rockets don't share the ball well

Published Dec. 22, 2002 DANB22

Contrary to November's conventional wisdom, new Houston Rockets center Yao Ming was not on track to become the worst center in the history of the modern NBA. Contrary to December's conventional wisdom, Yao is not quite ready for the Basketball Hall of Fame.

The truth, as was evident in the Timberwolves' 98-86 victory over the Rockets at Target Center on Saturday night, is somewhere in between.

Yes, Yao has considerable skill, and as Flip Saunders said, a remarkable calmness to his game, especially for someone just becoming familiar with a different game in a strange new land. But Yao also has much to learn about the ways and means of the NBA.

For example, he will have to learn to grin and bear on it on the nights when his perimeter-happy teammates continue a long-standing propensity to fling shots, sometimes really stupid ones, from almost anywhere on the court.

The Rockets have several players, notably Cuttino Mobley and Glen Rice, who like to shoot early and often from the outside.

This is something that Hakeem Olajuwon, the last great Rockets center, was forced to digest late in his distinguished career. This is something that Yao, the next great Rockets center, will have to learn at the start of his career.

Saturday night, the Rockets put on one of those maddening displays. Rice took 12 shots in 26 minutes, and he missed eight.

He was 1-for-6 from three-point range. Mobley was 0-for-6 from three-point range.

The Rockets took 19 three-pointers overall (making two). On nights when they hit their perimeter shots, they look like they can beat anybody. But on nights when the shots are clanking early and often, you would think that one of these years they would get the message.

But the Rockets are awfully stubborn, as Yao, who took only 13 of the Rockets' 82 shots, no doubt is figuring out. Yao, by the way, entered the game as a 58.3 percent shooter. Mobley is at 41.7 and Rice at 42.2. "Guys just dribbled up and pulled up and took shots, and that hurts us," admitted Rockets guard Steve Francis.

Yet Saunders insists that for Yao, there is a blessing to this madness. "Lately they've done a pretty good job at getting him plenty of touches," the Wolves coach said. "And even if he's not taking that many shots, it might help him early because it will keep the pressure off him."

It will, only if the other Rockets figure out that eventually Yao should be the fellow that gets the most shots not just every third or fourth night, but every single night.

"He's the second-best center in the league already, all things considered," Saunders said. "Offensively, he's got a lot of skill, and once he gets the ball down low, it's over. He already changes the way you have to play."

On Saturday night, he started slowly. Rasho Nesterovic, who has shown notable signs of improvement, was the better center in the first quarter. Yet there were moments, especially the rest of the game, when Yao was merciless. He put an explosive drop-step move on Nesterovic in which he was 15 feet from the basket one moment and right at the goal the next.

He had a thunderous follow slam dunk. He had a nifty one-handed, Arvydas Sabonis-like pass to Rice for an easy hoop, and blocked a shot by Nesterovic. He also had a shot blocked by Joe Smith, and turned over the ball six times.

Yao finished with 12 points, 12 rebounds, four assists, three blocked shots and one steal.

The most refreshing thing of all? He got smacked around, he got double-and triple-teamed, and he did not complain even once, in any language. He didn't even whine after the game. "Teams are changing their defenses," he said through an interpreter. "I need to work and challenge myself to come out and play better. If they're going to switch their defense, I need to change my offense."

Said Kevin Garnett: "It's his first year and he's got that hype and people want to see if it's real or not. Is this true? People see that this is supposed to be the best guy from overseas in the last 10 years and it's like, 'OK, come here and prove it.' "

This must be the depressing part for Minnesota: When the Wolves came into the league, the Rockets had a franchise center named Olajuwon. Now, the Rockets have another one.

The Wolves, who have tried no fewer than 20 centers in 14 seasons, are still looking for their first.

2. xuxj

xuxj Member

3. li_chen18

li_chen18 Contributing Member

4. heech

heech Contributing Member

I was joking. :) If one of us (especially if we were Chinese) posted the above message, there's a good chance we would've been accused of being a Yao-only fan.

I agree with the columnist, although he's being harsh. The Rockets tried to go to Yao Ming often early, but he was ineffective. I'm just disappointed they stopped going to him at critical stretches in the 4th, however.

5. xuxj

xuxj Member

I do't know why you guys are afraid of being labeled
    as Yao-only fan. As a matter of fact, I can only enjoy
    Yao, Francis, and Griffin. Watching others Rockets players
    "playing" simply makes me upset. They lack either brain
    or heart.

6. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I wouldnt exactly lable him Yao-only fan. More like basketball fan with common sense. He is just pointing out that Rockets players jack up lame shots when they should be going inside. Hell, even Timberwolves commentators were baffled as to why the ROcket perimeter players were jacking up 3s with 20 seconds left on shot clock, instead of going to Yao for higher percentage shot. And then they compund it further by nto playing any perimeter defense.

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Everyone can cheer and get joy out of what ever they want but basketball is a team sport. I cheer for the Rockets because I grew up loving the Rockets. Yao Ming is one of the things that are great about the Rockets right now and as a result I am a huge Yao Ming fan. During the game I find myself cheering for a Rockets victory first and Yao Ming to get his stats second...but I do cheer for both. If the Rockets loose I hate it, if Yao Ming does not get his double, double then I am disappointed but not so much if the Rockets win.

For those that have never been Rockets fans before I guess it is a lot different when you are now cheering for a team because of a player and not because it is the team you grew up cheering for.

I try to understand both sides of the equation but it is difficult at times to take the Yao Ming only fans when they put the good of the player ahead of the good of the team. It is my understanding that this also goes against standard Chinese philosophy. The good of the team should always come first. At least that is what Yao Ming says.

8. Quakes

Quakes Member

Fair enough. But Yao is giving lots of people the reason to cheer for Houston even if it really is only for Yao (for now). People all over grow up supporting different teams for the most minor, inane or strange reasons. When Yao retires or perhaps even moves on to another team, Houston will still have a large residual following and fan-base which it would never have had had Yao not arrived in our town. Yao is introducing a new audience/fan-base to the Rockets and vice versa.

Go Rox!:)

9. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Prlen:- I thank you for all Rocket Fans that you took the timeto compose this article on the BBS Forum.It was the most accurate and inspiring post!

10. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

I am glad to see that someone on the Rox team finally got it. Sure players are entitled to off-nights but you'd think that after going 2 for 19 from trey, these morons will learn to move a bit closer to the basket. :mad:

11. micah1j

micah1j Member

I can only hope that since it is obvious to Minnesota's coach and a Minnesota columnist that Yao is our best player who deserves to get as many touches and shots as possible, that SOON, the brickmiesters on our team will realize this too.

I also hope Yao will realize this and start calling for the ball more.

12. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

I have been a Rox fan since day one of the Dream era but since moving to LA four years ago, I have not been following the team as much until this year. Yao's arrival rekindled my enthusiam and I've been following Rox games like never before.

Does that make me a Yao-only fan? :rolleyes: Not really. If Yao landed on the Lakers, I would not give a $hit.

However, I am infatuated with the guy now. In less than two month, Yao has become my favorite player in NBA. And why not. While most teams in NBA are still looking for their first real center, we Rox fans are blessed. Exit the Dream and enter the Dynasty. So if you are a Rox fan but can't get excited about Yao's play, you are the one with a problem. :p For this Rox fan, I am just going to enjoy the ride while it lasts.

13. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

"Guys just dribbled up and pulled up and took shots, and that hurts us," admitted Rockets guard Steve Francis.

oh yeah, then why didn't you say or do something about it?!

14. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Much to do about nothing here. The article while justified in it's attack of our play last night is misguided in attempting to say Yao needs to get 20 shots every game. Yao needs touches on at least 50% of the time he's in the game because he transforms this team's offense. Rice played selfishly last night and that hurt us. Cat admits to being crazy, but has shown growth while reserving the right to be crazy. It's been funny watching Rudy the last few games, I don't know if his expectations have been raised or his lessening patience is beginning to eat into his stubborness. I think it's about to get interesting and provide really good bbs fodder. The Rockets had a good week and are close to "getting it". My props to Steve Francis especially. He's showing me he really wants to learn how to be a great player. I really see progress with him and I'm grateful.

15. superpro

superpro Member

Get the **** out of here. Your post is off the topic.

16. silvercatt

silvercatt Contributing Member

"Guys just dribbled up and pulled up and took shots, and that hurts us," admitted Rockets guard Steve Francis. "

It's encouraging to hear this from Steve.

17. superbenben

superbenben Member

why rockets fans are rockets fans? I would guess most likely because they live in Houston or they enjoyed rockets 's play before.

I moved to Houston about 2 years ago, I did not find Rockets play enjoyable, I loved to watch spurs and maverics partially because they played well and partially because I live in Texas.

from this season, I became Yao fan and rocket fan. I saw significant impact from Yao on rockets, Yao sometimes made the game more enjoyable. I think Rockets and yao 's performences are equally important to me now.

I don't think it is a shame to be a Yao fan then a rocket fan.