1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

How much would it take to trade Watt?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by awc713, Oct 26, 2014.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

Just wondering what y'all think his trade value is.

I've always thought it was odd that picks are valued so much higher than prime time players (i.e., Randy Moss for a 3rd/7th, Boldin for a 6th, Harvin for likely late pick, etc...)

So, what do you think it would take for the Texans to take an offer for Watt? 4 1st round picks would be my guess, but I dunno.

Thoughts?

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Untouchable

3. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Two guys:

Andrew Luck, or

Aaron Rodgers.

Otherwise, thanks for the call but no thanks. Age precludes all the other quarterbacks that you might be thinking about from being included on this list.

4. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Andrew Luck is overrated. And you wouldn't take Russell Wilson?

5. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

why does everybody want to trade watt... it aint happening!

6. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Luck has been the best QB in the NFL all year long

7. what

what Member

4 first round picks? Jesus.

It wouldn't take more than 2 first round picks. And two is pushing it. It depends on what pick # it is.

I would think a top 10 first round pick, plus 2 second round picks would do it.

8. Mr. Clutch

Not even close.

Rodgers, Manning, and Rivers have been clearly better.

Brady making the case too.

And I wouldn't take him over Brees, despite the latter's relatively slow start.

9. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Funny that less than five minutes after I posted that he threw a pick-six.

Oh, have you heard of Peyton Manning, Tony Romo, and Phillip Rivers, to name three?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/quarterbackRating

Don't be deceived by high usage rates or you'll be that guy that thought Matt Schaub was a world beater when he threw 4500 yards.

Here are a couple objective looks.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/how-good-is-andrew-luck/

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2014/9/23/6833531/andrew-luck-better-russell-wilson

I'm not saying I wouldn't take Luck - QB play is too important. I'm just saying you might want to take a look at a couple other guys, including Nick Foles. It sucks, but we really need a QB.

10. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

There's plenty of guys who have a bigger impact on won-loss records over the course of a season. But over the next ten? Like I said, Rodgers and Luck are about the only ones where you would be reasonably certain could continue producing at a high level at a more important position than Watt's. Perhaps the most amazing thing about Watt is his durability. You have to be a heads-and-shoulders better athlete than everyone else to dodge all the attempts at being undercut or tackled from the side, something that probably happens to him every week.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

What would it take to not see a new "Watt Trade value" type thread every week?

I guess the guy is just that good... and he's virtually untouchable.

13. Mr. Clutch

At least they are getting better.

The first one was Matt Ryan for Watt.

14. Mr. Clutch

Ridiculous.

It would have to be the #1 pick in the first round with a clear #1 prospect.

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

It'd be like the Herschel Walker trade. Plus Aaron Rodgers. Totally serious.

16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

You're drunk.

17. Remii

Remii Member

Why are these threads continuously made...

18. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

this ^^^^

19. Mr. Clutch

QB stats are so inflated these days. If Roethlisberger is putting up insane stats why trade Watt for QB? Seems like half of them can put up pretty good numbers.

20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I think the Texans would laugh out loud if you called up and pitched that offer. If you took the average production of a top ten 1st rounder, and 2 second rounders, I doubt that you'd get production anywhere near equal to Watt. Most likely from those 3 picks you get an average starter, a bench player, and a bust/special teams guy... if you are lucky.

There's a reason top - at - their - position guys never get traded in the NFL unless they are over the hill and damaged, like Manning was. JJ Would need to get caught smoking crack in a hotel room while having a ex with an underage girl before they'd even think about it. Watt is the cornerstone of the media strategy for the company. You'd not only be trading Watt, you'd be trading a whole lot of what makes your team popular with the fans. Even if you got the same on field production, you'd be taking a major hit to the bottom line.

#20 Ottomaton, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014