1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is JJ WATT more popular now than Akeem (and others)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by what, Oct 18, 2014.

1. what

what Member

Ranking the most popular players/ coaches in Houston history.

In my mind, Watt has taken over the top spot which, in the mount rushmore of houston sports, includes:

1. JJ Watt
    2. Bum Phillips
    3. Earl Campbell
    4. Jose Cruz
    5. Akeem

Yes, Akeem is low on the list and maybe he is ahead of Jose Cruz due to Akeem's dominance, but Cruz is up there.

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would say that Watt is at the top of the list now, but there is no way Dream is anywhere lower than 2nd.

3. what

what Member

If we were talking about skill level, I would agree with that, but I am talking about popularity, and Bum is the most popular coach that houston has ever seen. He was more pouplar than akeem was by far.

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

JJ Watt is easily #1

Nolan Ryan has a place on this list, also

5. what

what Member

If you include fans that live outside of houston, Yao and Lin probably leapfrong everybody, but this ranking isn't based on the global scale, only the houston-based houston sports fan.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

While Hakeem is unquestionably the greatest player in Houston history, this is Texas and football is king. This coming from a person who has been a Rockets fan first and foremost.

Watt is hot right now, so we will have to see how is career plays out. Just judging from my circle of friends and family, I would say Earl Campbell is still number 1. Frankly luv ya blue as group has a place in the hearts of long time Houstonians unlike any other, even the Clutch city squads.

Having said that, the percentage of Houstonians who really remember luv ya blue is decreasing. Between the people who are either too young or moved to Houston afterward I imagine it's a fairly small number. My family is an old guard in Houston FWIW, don't know it I have a proper sample of the city as a whole.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

People don't remember how popular Earl was in the late 70's, early 80's. Earl was the most popular.

8. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Hakeem is probably more popular for pretty much anyone born in Houston after the early/mid 70s. That's a pretty sizable chunk of people at this point.

EDIT: I get now you're talking about popularity during their time. Still have a hard time believing Jose Cruz was more popular than MVP era Hakeem.

#8 DCkid, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  9. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

duplicate

10. what

what Member

Jose Cruz was extremely popular, and for much of hakeem's career, prior to the championships of course, Akeem was only really popular with rabid rockets fans. As a testament to this, people still remember Micheal Young of Phil Slamma Jamma along with Guy V. Lewis as fondly as they remember Akeem or Clyde.

11. mick fry

mick fry Member

Dont forget Crazy George.

12. Remii

Remii Member

Well, J.J. is on TV every five minutes so I'm sure he's at the top in popularity.

Dream brought two championships to this city. A bunch of commercials and a 2-14 season doesn't make J.J. the most important sports figure in the city.

13. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Yes because Texas is a football state and superstar football players will always get more fame.

14. scottie brooks

Earl has his own sausage.

15. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

what is probably representative of the over-60yo crowd.

For the 25yo-45yo crowd, I'm gonna go ahead and proclaim Hakeem the #1 as a representative of my age demographic. If you're younger than 25, I can see how you put Watt #1.

16. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Dream should be number 1 but this still is Houston, TX. Football means more then actually winning.

17. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

More popular maybe but Dream's legacy is second to none in Houston. Multiple final fours with UH, then went to 3 finals in the NBA and winning 2 championships.

18. Panda23

Panda23 Member

/thread

19. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

WHAT!

Not yet grasshopper, not even close. Talk to me in 10 more years. The Texans will Have to win a super-bowl with J.J. before he get Hakeem status. Don't get me wrong...he is the best defensive player that I have ever witnessed.

20. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Hakeem and Earl Campbell are clearly higher than Watt.