1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is TE not utilized in passing situation

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by benchmoochie, Oct 28, 2014.

1. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

The question I have is - Why does this offensive scheme not utilize the TE? Of the 228 targets this year, only 24 have gone towards TE. That would be a little over 10% .

The past two years Graham has had 800 yards and 5td. They just drafted CJ F; he's huge. Most LB couldn't cover him.

I just want to understand if the success of the TE of the past season was due to check downs by Schaub, and if lack of utilization this year is due to the scheme?

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Kubiak is gone.

CJ hasn't been good.

Fitzpatrick.

3. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

In madden 15 they can never get open and when they do, they drop the ball after contact

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I think the success of the TE in the past was due to the misdirection and play action plus Andre drawing coverage. We don't do much of that anymore and Andre is done as an elite threat. Our TE's aren't good enough to just beat their man consistently plus I think they block a lot more now.

1 person likes this.
  5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Speaking of which, Graham seems like a pretty ****ty blocker.

6. conquistador#11

no way andre is done. he can't get seperation because they're running 7 yard routes, the cornerback is going to be right there. it's like when fitzgerald was done because he wasn't receiving any passes with quarterback XX throwing the ball.

For what B.O.B likes to run right now, he'd be better suited with a little white guy from texas tech who wears bow ties. it's not like manning is using him much this season. get it done Maury!

7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Part of Arian's success comes from using the TE's as blockers over receivers. But I'm at a loss as to why we see no seam routes or bootleg roll-outs to the TE's. It seems as a quick hitter while the D is focused on the run it would be devastating.

8. today

today Contributing Member

I was just thinking the same thing on Sunday during the game.... We don't throw to the TEs hardly ever anymore.

Thanks for the stats on this.

9. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

all our TEs suck thats why... CJ can barely stay on the field because he keeps making stupid decisions

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

BoB said they're working on it and hope to get them involved more eventually. He said Graham is well rounded but seemed down on the other two TE's, particularly as blockers. Said they need to run better routes and make better reads.

It is what it is. Ultimately we have the 20th (at best) TE in the league in Graham so I wouldn't expect much.