1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin without a ball dominant teammate

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Panda23, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

Nationalism helped Lin with his sponsorship, not really racism. He has a specific demographic, Chinese/Taiwanese, that he appeals to overseas and gets him those deals, thus he goes on tour to those specific areas Mainland China/Taiwan/Hong Kong.

2. adobo

adobo Member

I didn't read all of the posts here and just skimmed through a few so apologies if I'm saying this out of context.

The bottom line about Linsanity and why it was big as it was? It was a cocktail of different circumstances. To simply state that "its because he was asian" is narrow minded and ignorant of why it happened.

Below is a list of the circumstances that culminated into Linsanity. I will omit the part where the player is "asian" and see if the same circumstances does not lead to the same event.

-Struggling high profile team (NY) coming off bad losing streaks and well below expectations.
    -Fans looking for scapegoat. Highly paid superstars Carmelo and Stats struggles and is well documented in the media and the Coach is hanging on by a thread with his job.
    -Stat gets injured.
    -Team keeps losing and losing, the fans grow angrier and the media puts there microscope more on the team.
    -An undrafted player which no one knows about and about to be cut from the team, subs in the game, the team is losing once again so the coach is rolling in the dice. Carmelo gets injured during the game.
    -This undrafted and unknown player brings the team back into the game. -The team is looking confident. This unknown player is bringing in the good brand of basketball to the team which has been missing for awhile. He embarrasses an all star PG in the process. The team comes back and wins an unlikely victory. His the top scorer and highest assist person in the game.
    -Ppl and the media gave this unknown player some attention. It was a great story and they were happy that NY had some moment in the season even tho everyone did not expect for it to happen. It was just an exception. -Everyone expected this unknown player will fall back to earth quickly and have a game which is in line to what is expected for an undrafted, close to being cut player.
    -Next game. He scores over 20+ and high assist and the team wins again! Ppl cheer, happy for this underdog and can't believe that lightning struck twice.
    -This undrafted, unknown player led the team to 5 more wins in a row while breaking the record of the most points in 7 starts in the history of the NBA. He also hits a game winner in the last second in one of the games.
    -He leads the team to be in sight of the playoffs.

If ppl suggest that "It's not special, it's only because his Asian" is being delusional. It's one of the greatest underdog story at the highest order, a script that you can only dream about writing and not expect it to actually happen in real life at a high profile NBA team.

1 person likes this.
  3. TheJet

TheJet Member

I agree with most of your post, but again let's keep it realistic here. The stuff legends are made of doesn't happen in the regular season. Regular season warriors that never make a big splash in the playoffs tend to be written off as "also rans". It may not be fair but that's the way it is. Ask T-Mac.

4. adobo

adobo Member

Legends? The event was a legend. It's a story that will be retold over and over again in the NBA world. It was the first in it's kind. Don't mistake it for me saying that "Lin is a legend".

It's immature, ignorant and insecure for people to mock asians or in particular "Taiwanese" people for being proud or have become fans of Jeremy Lin because it just happen that someone with there same heritage background as them was the center of this story that has now become legendary.

It's like mocking someone who lives in Houston for barracking for the Rockets after there 22 win streak or after Tmac's legendary 13 points in 33 seconds.

Some of you guys are out of touch with reality and need to get a major grip. The attention you guys give to put down a Rockets player is absurd and could be an energy better served if used somewhere else. It's ok to critique a player, but to go on and on and on about it is beyond ridiculous.

5. jeddah

jeddah Member

1. Asians in general wouldn't care if he is not a good basketball player. The flaw of your argument is that you are negating that Lin is a quality player worthy of all those that has come on his way ( inside and outside of the BB Court ) because he WORKED and FOUGHT hard to be where he is now. It's not about the race, for we Asians are at not that unified as people may have thought.

2. I'm a Lin fan but I assure you that I am not trash..smh..what baffles me is that you are quick to judge and clamps all Lin fans into something that is negative. Yeah, there are a lot of Lin fans swarming here in the web and some are not agreeable at the most, but hey, they are fans and would be fanatical at times but, that doesn't mean that they are trash.

In my understanding, the poster was correlating Jeremy Lin as to Asian-American community with Jackie Robinson as to the African-American community. The degree of what they had undergo to reach their dreams are extremely different but to some extent, they share the same hurdles.

Equality..yes, that being said, is the thing that MOST Lin fans are asking for. For him to be treated equal based on what his position in the team is about. On paper, he is the PG, but when it comes to the court, his job/role mostly is of a spot-up SG. His role has been the most inconsistent one..Even Bev has been used based on his strength..And fans here in Clutchfans are the most brutal one, they'll crucify him regardless of reasons..

And contrary to what his haters are saying, Lin's penetration his best skill. He'll drive in traffic because he is luring the defenders with him. It'll give his team mates enough time to position themselves for the dump-off in case he can't take the ball to the rim. Unfortunately, this is not the case most of the time. Sometimes he'll find himself in traffic that he can't maneuver with so he'll have to pass the ball over, but then, since he is being covered by at least 3 defenders, the most he can see is the one's inside the paint ( 4 and 5 ) but unfortunately, that is a risky pass for the probability that it will come upon the hands of the defender is quite high.

Lin, albeit some might disagree, has a high BB IQ. He can read the defenses thrown at him quite well. He knows when a mismatch is coming his way and would exploit on it. He can make and create his own shots and defends quite well.

Unfortunately though, his skill sets are highly the same with Harden.

6. archinkent

archinkent Member

Aren't you Asian/American Asian? Correct me I am wrong. If so, I just find this ironic since racism probably affects you as much as Lin.

7. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

Linsanity was not legendary. It was newsworthy for a while. Twenty years from now, NBA fans won't even remember Jeremy Lin. Steve Francis surely had a streak of games that was better than Lin's Linsanity streak, and he's already a forgotten outside of Houston.

Disclaimer: this post is about basketball and nothing else.

8. Panda23

Panda23 Member

steve was the 2nd overall pick.

The dude was a couple days away from being cut and thrown into the nba wilderness, almost certain to never play in the nba again, knicks were absolutely reeling, screamin A was doing his usual beatdown, then an undrafted PG went on a record breaking tear and resurrected their season.

yes the system masked his deficiencies, yes he isn't all that, yes he isn't a top 5 or ever top 15/18 PG perhaps as many say, yes he is inconsistent as **** as absolutely shocking to watch sometimes, but the whole linsanity thing was absolutely awesome to watch. If that wasn't a feel good story in sports for that year for you, just off yourself.

Many of my asian friends don't even care for Lin. They think it's simply fanboying to even want him to do well because they're the same ethnicity, and this is largely due to individuals who condemn people for even thinking Lin has a chance of being an above average PG.

I don't have an issue with Asians supporting Lin or Yao, or germans supporting Dirk, or Australians supporting Patty mills or bogut, as long as they're objective in their evaluation of them and don't denigrate others.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

People are too eager to rush into history when nothing substantial has been made to cement the earlier phenomenon. It's like cheering for a 22 game win streak with no championship.

I think that pressure is getting to Jeremy's head. He makes some weirdly stupid plays that causes me to want him to avoid the dominating the ball and just facilitate.

The whole team is so stagnant off the ball that it makes me want to puke because passing and play making will get ridiculously more complicated in a 7-game series when defenses are geared towards shifting us outside our pet spots and comfort zones.

Maybe the team's collective IQ and chemistry isn't there where there can be two cutting guards at the same time. It also has to deal with Asik and Dwight not being credible enough threats to relieve pressure in the paint with a midrange shot or a strong move to finish it.

Not everything is on Jeremy, but we all compare and I bet he does too...with catching up to James and creating distance away from Beverley, just as much as we do it in a different way.

Dude just needs to quit feeling like the entire Asian people is on his shoulders or thinking God's going to slow mo every three pointer in Hoops Dreams-like fashion.

10. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

To me it's simple for Jeremy Lin. Prove that you can fit in because I'm sorry, you will never be a ball dominant player on any team in the NBA. So prove to me that you can fit in by making the little things a priority. Good defense, effort, and MAKE YOUR OPEN JUMPERS.

11. adobo

adobo Member

Good, that's what it should be all about. His not above criticism but please don't post about it to death and make a million threads just because your emotional and want the whole world to know how your feeling without objectively putting everything on its proper place.

Also ppl need to make the same challenge for all the players in the Rockets team and not single out one player. Lin is not the only player in the Rockets team and his not the only one that has weaknesses that needs to be addressed.

12. TheJet

TheJet Member

It's interesting that you mention that. I wouldn't call those two records the stuff of legends either. And I'm a die hard Rockets fan. They were amazing, record breaking moments that I'll remember forever. But neither yielded a championship or even a deep playoff run. Maybe I have a unique definition of legend. Hakeem is a legendary basketball player. The Clutch City title runs were the stuff of legends, etc.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but regular season accomplishments and individual records pale in comparison to championships. Does anyone remember who held the record for consecutive games won before the Rockets threatened the streak? Was that a stat to be proud of when those fans cheered their team? How about T-Macs 13? I'm pretty sure it was Reggie Miller that held the previous record, I remember watching that game. But Pacer fans didn't tout that as their greatest shining moment of the era.

Again, this takes nothing away from Lin. What he did had never been done before. And the media went nuts with it for a variety of reasons.

As for the rest of your post, well, I certainly hope none of those barbs were aimed at me.

13. TheJet

TheJet Member

There are many threads here discussing (and bashing) other players for their performances. True, Lin gets the vastly dominating amount of attention because he is extremely polarizing. His fans will say they post only in response to the hate speak against him. His critics will say they only post in response to some of the "LOF" extremists.

Chicken and egg. That one will never be agreed upon.

14. adobo

adobo Member

I guess your definition of legendary has to entail greatness. That's fair enough. Term Legendary for me are unbelievable stories that will be retold over the span of time like a fairy tale i.e. Wilt Chamberlain's 100 pt game

Again, same as above. Your defining greatness to me as well as legend. That's my opinon. Btw you think many people have forgotten about T-Mac's 13 or Reggie Miller's 8 points in 9 seconds?

No it was a generic statement going back to my point from my previous posts

Looking at today's forums, the negative attention that Lin receives is out of control. Albeit LOF's started or not, it's getting to the point after each game there will be at least 2 new threads that gets created dedicated to bashing Lin and that's after the team wins. If the team loses, I just cringe at even going into the forum because we all know what will the topic will be.
    Also two wrongs does not make a right? Is it okay to kill a whole village because a villager stole a loaf of bread? I remember LOF's being annoying but the other side is now getting beyond ridiculous.

15. derp

derp Member

I agree with most of what you are saying, but I want to remind you it was only 7 games.

Lin had an absolutely great streak, something to really be proud of, but 7 games of high level highlight driven basketball is still only 7 games.

Was Lin playing at an outstanding streak? Yes. Is that the Jeremy Lin who goes out and plays most nights? No, and it has actually never happened again. He has had some good flashes, but never the same regardless of who was on the court with him.

I prefer to be a fan of the rockets. I want them to do what's best for the team.

16. rokit

rokit Member

Franchise never led a team to a 7 games winning streak! Makes you wonder...

17. TheJet

TheJet Member

I'm with you 100% on this. Some troll and retaliation are easy to spot, others not so much. Taking the high road would be the best solution, but again, this is the internet we're talking about ;).