1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

John Granato

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RKMAN, Jun 5, 2003.

1. RKMAN

RKMAN Member

Whatever happened to this idiotic goofball? He used to host Astros On Deck and the postgame show.

2. Buck Turgidson

Don't know about the 'Stros coverage, but he's still on the radio.

On a related note, someone emailed the show this morning saying that Van Gundy bears an uncanny resemblance to Gollum from LOTR. So Lance goes off on a impersonation rampage doing the schizoid Gollum arguing with himself over whether or not Cuttino should shoot or "pass the precious" to the open man.

I was almost crying I was laughing so hard, did anyone else catch this?

3. Samurai Jack

Samurai Jack Contributing Member

Yeah...... funny stuff. :D

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

That's when I dialled off. Lance is a boil.

5. adrian

adrian Member

Joh and Lance are great, but why is Lance always clearing his throat in the middle of a sentence and last time I heard him yawn in the middle of something he was saying.

Oh and does anybody know why the Stros don't have the pre and post game shows anymore?

AC

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Lance is my all-time favorite AM radio sports personality. He reminds me of all of my friends from high school. Hilarious...I routinely find myself laughing out loud in the car on the way to work.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Key word(s) 'high school'.

8. Band Geek Mobster

I listened to John and Lance for the first time in about a year the other day...I found them to be quite a tired act. The part of the show I caught was them discussing Star Wars with Cowboy Bill. They were rambling about how much older Amidala is compared to Anikan. This whole session might have been funny or at least not totally unoriginal if they had done it a year ago...instead it was just stupid and boring to me...

I kept thinking, "Why the hell are they talking about a year old movie on a sports show?"

9. MadMax

many of those guys are still my best friends...mostly for that same sense of humor.

don't take yourself so seriously, xiki...life moves too quickly...enjoy a good first place hometown baseball team, too! :)

10. Buck Turgidson

Xiki, for the love of all that is good and holy, lighten up man.

The next positive thing I see you post might be the first. If this is the attitude you carry throughout your everyday life, I truly feel sorry for you.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I think John and Lance are funny, but they aren't that knowlagable. If they aren't being funny, I really don't care for much of their analysis. They are funnier than Rich and Charlie, but I prefer to listen to them because they are more professional.

12. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I'm still mad that I didnt get my 100 dollar gift certificate for winning postgame trivia because I was under 18 at the time.. lol 17 year olds can't benefit from watch gift certificates i guess

#12 Rocket Fan, Jun 6, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2003
  13. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Who cares about John Granato? Whatever happened to his hot wife? :D

14. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I listen to John and Lance in the morning, but usually I switch to the BBC News during a commercial and I never switch back. They're alright. I think the whole morning show, guy-talk thing is kind of dull. Sometimes they do some good stuff, but more often than not I just find it kind of "eh".

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

16. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Same here. The only times I've been forced to change the station is when Cauly used to call (thank god he was banned yesterday for cussing out the girl answering the phones), whenever they play that ridiculously stupid Astros song with the train sounds at the begining, and when Jeremy sings. I get so embarassed for the guy I can't even listen. :D

These guys blow away Rich and Charlies show by a long shot. Palillo is absolutely terrible on air, and his arrogance is way too thick.

17. MadMax

i'm with you...i understand rich and charlie are nice guys...but i prefer lance and john...i think it's a generational thing, i think.

i can't change that astros song...that whistle cracks me up every time...it's sooooo stupid! that's why i love it. i find myself singing, "houston is all systems goooooooo" in my dorkiest voice around the office some...makes for some interesting moments.

18. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I love Rich and Charlie . . . I used to hate their show because of Charlie's pessimistic view of things (IMO). However, when I started looking at things, I realized that he really knows what he's talking about. He's right on his predictions and on his views at least 80% of the time . . . You may not like his attitude, but you can't argue with his knowledge . . .

19. jlaw718

jlaw718 Contributing Member

I guess everybody has their personal preferences. That being said, I enjoy listening to Charlie Palillo because of his aforementioned knowledge. He's not so myopic as to not see the contra to a position. I like that. The guy is just really astute. His delivery might rub some the wrong way, but you cannot argue that he doesn't know his stuff. I like Rich, but, if you listen to them both long enough, you can tell that he tends to parrot whatever Charlie thinks about a subject (save for the situations that it seems like he'll play devil's advocate just for the heck of it). I've said this before, but I think some of the other broadcasters, like Matt Jackson, explicitly pattern their schtick after Jim Rome. I call Matt Jackson 'Rome Lite', because of this. Even the cadence of his voice and the pregnant pauses during his 'takes' mimic Rome. As for Rome, he is really entertaining, but really inconsistent on his positions.

20. Astro101

Astro101 Member

Could someone fill me in on Cauly? I know he's banned for cursing out a girl and Mark Vandermeer...could someone fill in the details?