1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Of course, the Israel Lobby is a myth

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by houstonhoya, Jul 18, 2014.

1. houstonhoya

houstonhoya Contributing Member

A strawman fabricated by anti-Semites, am I right ATW?

http://mondoweiss.net/2014/07/resolution-supporting-israel.html

2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I applaud the Senate. Well done.

3. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

So, the evidence of an Israel lobby is....one guy who donated a lot of money and made an anti-Iranian statement, and never explicitly said something about Israel one way or another in that article, a "major fundraiser" ( never specified what that means) and a guy who donated a lot of money to think tanks.

I mean, I certainly don't particularly deny that there is a group which lobbies on behalf of Israel ( not that there's anything wrong with that), but this is really weak evidence.

4. houstonhoya

It isn't the strongest evidence, I certainly wouldn't use it in a court of law to make my case, it is just the most recent example of a US Congress appeasing to the lobby and the reckless state it represents.

Unequivocal support from the Senate? While murdering women and children? With three major underwriters of campaigns applying pressure at this time? 'Really weak' was a poor choice of words.

5. houstonhoya

Further evidence in the article can be found, like the influence of AEIF on the representative from Florida whose constituent was beaten by IDF forces and arrested and tortured without any indictment.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

They are a close ally. Of course we support the State of Israel. As long as Hamas refuses to recognize Israel's right to exist, this sort of tragedy, and it is a tragedy, will continue to occur from time to time.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Unanimous. A strong, and good statement by the Senate. Unfortunately, this will only further fuel the hate of people like trustme and adeelsiddiqui, to see that they are isolated with their extremist viewpoints in American society.

8. houstonhoya

Haha the question is why?

WHY are they a close ally?
    WHY is Hamas firing rockets at Israel?
    WHY do we 'of course' support the state of Israel?
    WHY does occupation HAVE to continue?
    WHY do 270 innocent civilians HAVE to die when Israel accuses but does not prove that Hamas is responsible for the death of three young settlers?
    WHY does the US have to fund a military that is already the third or fourth most powerful military depending on what metric you use?
    WHY is Israel allowed to disenfranchise and discriminate against Arab Christians who are citizens of Israel?

WHY Deckard do you ignore these questions and presume that our support for Israel is inevitable like gravity?

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Because they are the only democracy in the Middle East, and the only government that is not run by people who are associated with a death cult ideology.

Because they are terrorists who have been indoctrinated by a hateful death cult ideology since early childhood.

Because we support freedom and democracy.

Why do terrorists keep shooting rockets at the only democracy in the Middle East?

There was a ceasefire; it was broken by Hamas, who fired rockets into Israel.

Because the free world stands shoulder to shoulder with the only free country in that region.

Why does Gaza have a terrorist government?

Just because you favor the side in this conflict that is governed by terrorists who are fueled by a hateful death cult ideology doesn't mean that American society and the Senate cannot unanimously reject your anti-Israel propaganda.

1 person likes this.
  10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

We really need to stop allowing lobbyist and corporations to write bills for congress

Rocket River

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Why? Why are you so worked up about my opinion? It's common enough in the States, so it isn't like I'm an outlier or anything. You'd be surprised by what I know about the region. I've been to the West Bank. I went there when it was part of Jordan. Stayed at the King David Hotel in Jerusalem. We were treated very well by the Jordanians/Palestinians we met, floated around in the Dead Sea, went to Bethlehem and other places in the area. We would have liked to have gone to Israel from there, but it wasn't allowed, so we stood at the border and looked across as a land that was decidedly greener than where we were, which I found fascinating at the time. I visited Beirut when it was still earning the "Paris of the Middle East" moniker, spent time in Egypt. Someone can differ from your opinion and not be jumping up and down and pulling one's hair out (what's left of it), figuratively speaking. I know Egyptians who immigrated to this country and whose kids are very good friends of my own kids. They're all going to college, or have graduated and are working, like my son. We have Jewish friends who have close relatives in Israel.

Getting all worked up about this isn't particularly worthwhile, in my opinion. This has been going on since WWI and the Sykes–Picot Agreement. Before then, Arabs and Jews got along reasonably well. Someday I hope they can find common ground. I'm not holding my breath, though.

1 person likes this.
  12. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

How I imagine Deckard teaching us young folk about the world.

[​IMG]

13. houstonhoya

As a Palestinian American, it's pretty clear why I would care about the opinions of my fellow Americans. This is all very real to me, I hope you would understand that. I'll respond more extensively when I get the time.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That explains a lot. I honestly didn't know - I don't read everything down here like I used to. When it gets closer to the elections, I'll be spending more time in D&D. I hope your family and friends are safe if they are in Gaza. If you have people there, I wish them well. I haven't changed my opinion, though. :)-

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

WHY haven't you changed your opinion? ;)

1 person likes this.
  16. houstonhoya

Thanks, appreciated

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

WHY???

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Because terra!!!

19. houstonhoya

The whole world is watching Israel. The tide is turning and you aren't ready friend.

20. Bob Barker 007

I think that houstonhoya ...
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.