1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Why not take Zach Randolph?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Baqui99, May 25, 2001.

1. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

This guy looks like a stud in the making. I think he left school a little early but he probably would have been one of the top players in DivI next year if he stayed and MSU would return to the Final Four. There's a 50-50 chance he'll be available when we pick. Let's do it! I'd take him over Bradley any day.

The guy can score in the paint, rebound and play D. Randolph could be the inside presence that Mo Taylor isn't. He's drawn comparisons to Elton Brand. Here's nbadraft.net's summary:

Strengths: Great combination of strength and agility. Moves his 270 pound frame like a small forward... Supreme intelligence and creativity... Very strong physically and mentally... Soft hands.. Leadership qualities..

Weaknesses: Appears overweight but it doesn't really seem to be a problem... Not super away from the basket, but who's keeping this guy away from the basket?

Plain and simple, Mo, Kenny, and Ken Johnson will not get it done against San Antonio or LA, and probably not even past Portland. Zach Randolph could very solve our "muscle" problems for many years to come. If he falls into our lap, Rudy and CD should go for it.

------------------
    "Oh No..."
    -Bill Walton in 97 just before Stockton's buzzer beater

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I agree with you,Baqui99,Randolph would be a better fit than Bradley or Murphy.I would take him with the 13th pick,but I have a feeling that he will go earlier than that in the draft.

------------------

3. MManal

MManal Member

I would definitely take Randolph before Bradley. Some folks are down on him b/c of his questionable defense. Personally, Im not concerned about that knock b/c the guy is so young. 6-9 270 pound player that moves well, is an animal around the hoop, has a soft touch, excellent hands and rebounds like a beast is worth a lottery pick in my book. Considering that package of skills, I'd work with him on defense.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

4. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

He won't be able to guard anyone in the NBA. The new rules may gloss over some of his liabilities as a defender though. Let's face it, he has a propensity to be FAT. Unless he has a great work ethic, the team that drafts him is going to suffer through weight management issues. Izzo was quoted somewhere saying he had wanted Randolph to shed some pounds, but he never did.

I hear all the time he moves well for a kid his size....but the kid is huge. So what is the advantage there? In the games I saw this year, he is unspectacular at best. He had some moments where he surprised me, but that's only because I was amazed a kid so chubby could do anything out there.

Yes, he has a soft touch around the hoop. Yes, he is a capable rebounder for his size, sure he moves well for a chubby kid......

Personally I am unimpressed with him. Don't get me started on Eddy Curry.

------------------
    My doctor says I am bipolar. I am going to get a second opinion. I have never had intimate desires for polar bears.

5. enbehay

enbehay Member

I agree with the ZR camp. To the naysayers, think about four words attached to a kid coming out of college some years ago: Round Mound of Rebound.

------------------

6. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I wouldn't have issues if the Rockets grabbed Randolph, but I don't see Rudy taking him. Rudy wants a PF who doesn't have to clog up the low post to be effective. Mo T and Webber mesh well with this team because they can hit the outside shot, opening up the interior for Steve and Cuttino. I would think Rudy would make sure the Rockets have an outside-shooting big man at center before he were to pick up someone like Randolph.

I agree defense can be worked on, and that Rudy won't let that stop him from acquiring someone (i.e. - Mo Taylor, not an extremely bad, but certainly not a great big man defender), but that's not something to overlook easily. You'd have to make sure you have a stud defender in the middle to make up for the defensive deficiencies.

How about a Mo T/Randolph 1-2 punch at PF? That would be kind of nice; too bad it'll never happen.

------------------
    "All you need is love."

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Zach Randolph. Sounds a bit too much like Oliver Miller or Robert Trailor to me. There is only one Charles Barkley and Zach Randolph aint it.

------------------

8. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Personally, I think Randolph has much better footwork then Miller or Traylor. I saw him in the high school games last year, and he was more impressive then MIles. If he's there at 18, take him. I like his upside more then Bradley's.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

9. rocketdude

rocketdude Contributing Member

hoop-t better shut his mouth about curry cause he got it going on the guy is the bomb if the rockrts could some how get him i would say screw webber and keep dream a mo tay le dream help the kid out think of this a guy as big as shaq that could do the dream shack sorry man but that is just scary now for baby fat a.k.a randolph just would be a worse mo tay possible better rebounder but with the new zone mo is a good shot for a pf and that works to the rockets advantage

------------------

10. Band Geek Mobster

Dude,
    Mix in some punctuation, that block of words is hard to read.

------------------
    Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here...

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

------------------